The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vault #6: 7/13/98 LA Forum show
PostPosted: Wed October 26, 2016 9:16 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

I'm surprised there hasn't been much discussion about this release. Maybe it's because most fans had a decent bootleg of it for years, and don't have much interest. Who knows...

It's a great show from quite possibly the best tour they've ever done. The vault shows are the only thing that keeps me coming back. I can't get into the Lightning Bolt songs/shows at all.

PostPosted: Wed October 26, 2016 9:28 pm 

I haven't posted about it yet, but I think it's fantastic and I agree that the 1998 tour is a high-water mark for both the Jack Irons and Matt Cameron line-ups of the band.

Releases like this really underline to me that, whatever my issues are with the band's recent effotts, the problem is clearly them and not me as I love this band (by which I mean the version preserved on this release) as much as I ever have.

PostPosted: Wed October 26, 2016 9:31 pm 
Production Police

Birds in Hell wrote:
I haven't posted about it yet, but I think it's fantastic and I agree that the 1998 tour is a high-water mark for both the Jack Irons and Matt Cameron line-ups of the band.

Releases like this really underline to me that, whatever my issues are with the band's recent effotts, the problem is clearly them and not me as I love this band (by which I mean the version preserved on this release) as much as I ever have.

Funny, I was just watching some of the Japan concert film this morning and having the exact same thought.

PostPosted: Wed October 26, 2016 9:32 pm 
Posting (live)

tragabigzanda wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

Funny, I was just watching some of the Japan concert film this morning and having the exact same thought.

I was listening to Pinkpop 2000 and had similar thoughts. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed October 26, 2016 9:42 pm 

Birds in Hell wrote:

Yes, agreed.

I think it was said (possibly in another thread) that lack of vault releases is due to incomplete shows. If they're sitting on their hands because of that, I don't think they truly understand their fanbase. They gave us Constitution Hall from '98 with a cut in Push Me, Pull Me, and we still bought it. They also gave us the Orpheum with fades, and incomplete, and we still bought the reissues that included it.

So yes, the problem definitely lies with them.

PostPosted: Wed October 26, 2016 10:05 pm 

I think they think they understand their audience, and in some respects I think they do, which is one of the roots of their late-career slump.

PostPosted: Thu October 27, 2016 12:30 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Birds in Hell wrote:
I think they think they understand their audience, and in some respects I think they do, which is one of the roots of their late-career slump.

the average slice of a Pearl Jam audience is a pretty bland group of people

so, it really does make sense.

PostPosted: Thu October 27, 2016 1:49 am 
The Master

Eh. Here's another thought: ed no longer respects his audience.

I remember an article back in the good old days of him talking about how he respects his audience at this point and that's why they felt they could release nothing as it seems as a single.

Now what do we get?

PostPosted: Thu October 27, 2016 1:51 am 
Posting (live)

Strat wrote:

I remember an article back in the good old days of him talking about how he respects his audience at this point and that's why they felt they could release nothing as it seems as a single.

Now what do we get?

Told to Mind Our Manners

PostPosted: Thu October 27, 2016 1:52 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Strat wrote:

Now what do we get?

I dunno if it's less respect, or just pandering to the average fan. I think to us, it's annoying bc they don't write things like NAIS anymore, but to Joe Blow down the street who listened to Betterman the night he got engaged, I'm sure the recent output has him a little more engaged

PostPosted: Thu October 27, 2016 1:54 am 
The Master

Can't find a vedder fan

PostPosted: Thu October 27, 2016 5:51 pm 
Future Drummer

Birds in Hell wrote:

So you think that you think that they think this?

Is that correct?

PostPosted: Thu October 27, 2016 6:18 pm 

As much as I love this vault show, I'm already speculating the next one. I feel like we're due for a Jack-era show. I could see something from the No Code Tour, as well as Red Rocks '95, given the Fan Club single from years ago.

PostPosted: Thu October 27, 2016 6:52 pm 

hlniv wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

So you think that you think that they think this?

Is that correct?

I think so.

PostPosted: Thu October 27, 2016 8:15 pm 
Champion of RM

I don't remember if I posted this already, I read the Easy Street 2005 show might be released soon. It might be vinyl only, possibly a RSD release. Unclear if it would be the EP or full show.

Don't kill the messenger...

PostPosted: Fri October 28, 2016 12:29 pm 
Future Drummer

it's funny when we speak about when they played best. You ask more causal fans or non die-hard fans, and they will say there playing the best they ever have right now. I don't know, but I do remember in 98 and 2000 that the general public was down on them at the time. 2000 for sure, alot of people got back into them with yield and Binural just didn't hit with everyone.

PostPosted: Fri October 28, 2016 1:32 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

lowlight79 wrote:
it's funny when we speak about when they played best. You ask more causal fans or non die-hard fans, and they will say there playing the best they ever have right now. I don't know, but I do remember in 98 and 2000 that the general public was down on them at the time. 2000 for sure, alot of people got back into them with yield and Binural just didn't hit with everyone.

Oh man, i remember those years...Nobody liked Binaural and the general response to their live shows was...mmm i guess they are not rocking that much these days.

PostPosted: Fri October 28, 2016 1:34 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I agree with all of the above. My view/problem is that many of these vault releases are from the Matt-era. Give that the bootleg series kinda started once he was in the band, the plethora of official bootlegs already available with him as drummer make any new 'vault' release with him as drummer kinda seem like…not a 'vault' release at all, regardless of whether it was 98 or not. In my eyes a vault release would be anything pre-2000 bootlegs.

This also coincidentally aligns with the high point in their career IMO.

PostPosted: Fri October 28, 2016 5:17 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

CopperTom wrote:
I don't remember if I posted this already, I read the Easy Street 2005 show might be released soon. It might be vinyl only, possibly a RSD release. Unclear if it would be the EP or full show.

I thought this was already out? Or am I confusing another Easy Street show?

PostPosted: Fri October 28, 2016 5:20 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

I thought this was already out? Or am I confusing another Easy Street show?

It was released but i dont think on vinyl. I have the CD somewhere

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam