Switch to full style
General Pearl Jam discussion.
Post a reply

Song of the Moment: Release

Fri December 28, 2012 4:44 pm

old thread archived here

Re: Song of the Moment: Release

Mon August 06, 2018 6:13 pm

IDK if it's because he sings it first, but this is one of the only songs nowadays that Eddie consistently sounds really good on and idk how or why since it sounds challenging but he always gets it (besides the hoooos or whatever)

Mon August 06, 2018 6:56 pm

mikejasond wrote:IDK if it's because he sings it first, but this is one of the only songs nowadays that Eddie consistently sounds really good on and idk how or why since it sounds challenging but he always gets it (besides the hoooos or whatever)

are we talking in the context of music as a whole?

Mon August 06, 2018 7:38 pm

mikejasond wrote:IDK if it's because he sings it first, but this is one of the only songs nowadays that Eddie consistently sounds really good on and idk how or why since it sounds challenging but he always gets it (besides the hoooos or whatever)

mikejasonda is... right?

he sounded top-notch on this at wrigley in '16.

Mon August 06, 2018 7:39 pm

also, 5 stars, my personal favorite pj song, especially in a live setting.

Mon August 13, 2018 9:11 pm

Just heard the 3.4.92 Utrecht, NL on Sirius XM and it was SO GOOD

Sat August 18, 2018 4:16 am

I'd take Save You over Release any day.

Sat August 18, 2018 4:47 am

evenslow wrote:also, 5 stars, my personal favorite pj song, especially in a live setting.

Fri November 16, 2018 8:14 pm

Can somebody post a video of what they believe to be the most powerful Release ever? I've heard an absolutely incredible one on the radio from like 1995 and I dunno Im just in the mood for some amazing Release videos.

Fri November 16, 2018 8:17 pm

mikejasond wrote:Can somebody post a video of what they believe to be the most powerful Release ever? I've heard an absolutely incredible one on the radio from like 1995 and I dunno Im just in the mood for some amazing Release videos.

Not a video of the actual performance (just audio), but this is the definitive version in my opinion.

Fri November 16, 2018 8:20 pm

mikejasond wrote:Can somebody post a video of what they believe to be the most powerful Release ever?

Fri November 16, 2018 11:23 pm

:lol:

Fri November 16, 2018 11:37 pm

Perfection

Sat November 17, 2018 5:10 pm

I'm not a huge fan of some of the 1995 clips I've heard in general, as Eddie seemed a bit off vocally that year to me (a little too wild) and I don't love Jack Irons.

But this Release....this....this is....wonderful. Jack irons is great on this one he keeps it so slow and steady and brings out all the plodding tension like the song just wants to absolutely explode and he won't let it. The series of "Release Meeeees" starting at 3:57's gives me chills. Eddie sounds like a distorted guitar himself.

Sat November 17, 2018 5:18 pm

:haha:

Sat November 17, 2018 6:22 pm

It’s come up several times but release from Kansas 03 with the lightning bolt streaming across the sky as ed sang ‘oh dear dad can you see me now’ has gotta be up there.
Probably a you had to be there moment but Fuck me in 40 pj shows full of magic that one is top of the pile by far and untouchable for me. It was just so beautiful and magical.

He always brings it for release doesn’t he? Never fucks that up. I’d happily have Release be the opener every night to be totally honest. There’s something about the heart and energy and magic that song conjures. Let’s never do an opening song tourney. The others would just lose and look bad.

Sat November 17, 2018 7:01 pm

I don't think you had to be there, Dime -- I get chills from that even on the recording. I mean, knowing the context helps, but it's a lovely moment, and also my favorite version of the song.

Sat November 17, 2018 7:24 pm

If we're just judging by the vocals:

Atlanta 1994
Chicago 2000
Toyko 2003
Kansas 2003
San Francisco III 2006
Arnhem 2006
Charlottesville 2013
Wrigley 2016
Rome 2018

Sat November 17, 2018 7:52 pm

Kevin Davis wrote:I don't think you had to be there, Dime -- I get chills from that even on the recording. I mean, knowing the context helps, but it's a lovely moment, and also my favorite version of the song.

It was beyond the beyond. It was truly special.

Sun November 18, 2018 4:26 am

dimejinky99 wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:I don't think you had to be there, Dime -- I get chills from that even on the recording. I mean, knowing the context helps, but it's a lovely moment, and also my favorite version of the song.

It was beyond the beyond. It was truly special.

Yes, especially after the delay to start the show. Release is such a showcase for the power and range of Ed's voice. KC '03 is the pinnacle.
Post a reply