Switch to full style
When a band is but a fraction of Pearl Jam, but they aren't zero Pearl Jam.
Post a reply

Temple of the Dog - 25 Years

Sat April 16, 2016 3:51 pm

Today marks the 25 year anniversary of the release of Temple of the Dog.

Thoughts? Do you still give it a spin? How has it aged? Should they reform and do a followup album/tour/moneygrab?

Are we fucking old now, or what?

Re: Temple of the Dog - 25 Years

Sat April 16, 2016 6:30 pm

Wow. Wouldn't Record Store Day have been a great time to release an anniversary LP/boxed set?

Sat April 16, 2016 7:04 pm

I never listen to TOTD unless it comes on shuffle.

Sat April 16, 2016 9:26 pm

Yeah, honestly, outside of Hunger Strike, I'm no a big TotD fan. I like it just fine. But I don't love it. And some of those songs go on waaaaaay too long. And I never reach for that album. If it comes on, it comes on, and I'll listen. But I never seek it out.

Sat April 16, 2016 9:35 pm

I'm fond of Hunger Strike too but otherwise I think the album is just not that good.

Sat April 16, 2016 9:38 pm

Like Ten, the production keeps it frozen in time.

Every song but Hunger Strike sounds better live. Cornell sings the shit out of Call Me a Dog in his solo shows.

Sat April 16, 2016 9:47 pm

evenslow wrote:Like Ten, the production keeps it frozen in time.

Every song but Hunger Strike sounds better live. Cornell sings the shit out of Call Me a Dog in his solo shows.

Really? I feel like the production on it is far less frozen in time than Ten. I think it still feels pretty fresh and sounds like a band just knocking tunes out.

I was never a HUGE fan of the album but i think its pretty good and holds up quite well.

Sat April 16, 2016 9:50 pm

Strat wrote:

Really? I feel like the production on it is far less frozen in time than Ten. I think it still feels pretty fresh and sounds like a band just knocking tunes out.

I was never a HUGE fan of the album but i think its pretty good and holds up quite well.

Go listen to Reach Down again bro.

Sat April 16, 2016 9:55 pm

evenslow wrote:
Strat wrote:

Pther than the main riff being caked in a chorus or flange or something....I think it sounds pretty good

Sat April 16, 2016 9:56 pm

Strat wrote:
evenslow wrote:
Strat wrote:

Pther than the main riff being caked in a chorus or flange or something....I think it sounds pretty good

It burns me up inside to disagree with you like this.

Sat April 16, 2016 10:21 pm

Temple Of The Dog will always be a special album for me.

Back in the day i was surprised with how good the album was, and the whole story is full of the mystic i adore about PJ and the seattle movement from those days.
In a personal level is also important because as a kid i dreamed of them going on tour and playing live and i kinda knew it was never going to happen but i got the chance to see them at PJ20 so that was really, really special.

Musically i still really like the album. Cornell is fuckin incredible and i like how groovy and heavy it sounds.

Sat April 16, 2016 10:31 pm

"Say Hello to Heaven," "Reach Down," "Hunger Strike," and "Call Me a Dog" are all among my favorite Chris Cornell compositions -- in a lot of ways I feel like the TOTD album was really where his songwriting advanced a level, beyond riffs and shrieking and towards more sophisticated harmonies, linear lyrical concepts, etc. The second half is much weaker from memory, but having not listened to the album (apart from the songs listed above) for many years, memory is all I have to go on. I will put it in the queue for this week.

Sat April 16, 2016 10:37 pm

Kevin Davis wrote:"Say Hello to Heaven," "Reach Down," "Hunger Strike," and "Call Me a Dog" are all among my favorite Chris Cornell compositions -- in a lot of ways I feel like the TOTD album was really where his songwriting advanced a level, beyond riffs and shrieking and towards more sophisticated harmonies, linear lyrical concepts, etc. The second half is much weaker from memory, but having not listened to the album (apart from the songs listed above) for many years, memory is all I have to go on. I will put it in the queue for this week.

Agree.
I adore Say hello to heaven and the way Chris sings it, its such a beautiful yet rockin song...Ill add Wooden Jesus, All Night Thing and Times Of Trouble to that list.

Sat April 16, 2016 10:48 pm

VinylGuy wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:"Say Hello to Heaven," "Reach Down," "Hunger Strike," and "Call Me a Dog" are all among my favorite Chris Cornell compositions -- in a lot of ways I feel like the TOTD album was really where his songwriting advanced a level, beyond riffs and shrieking and towards more sophisticated harmonies, linear lyrical concepts, etc. The second half is much weaker from memory, but having not listened to the album (apart from the songs listed above) for many years, memory is all I have to go on. I will put it in the queue for this week.

Agree.
I adore Say hello to heaven and the way Chris sings it, its such a beautiful yet rockin song...Ill add Wooden Jesus, All Night Thing and Times Of Trouble to that list.

:thumbsup: to you both.

Sun April 17, 2016 12:39 am

Listening to the vinyl now. Fuck me, this was an amazing album.

Nothing but a bunch of guys inspired to get together and jam it out with the blues, not for profit but just dedication to their lost friend.

:nice:

Sun April 17, 2016 5:02 am

I've never listened to the album.

Sun April 17, 2016 11:39 am

chewm wrote:I've never listened to the album.

:shock:

Sun April 17, 2016 3:33 pm

I haven't listened in years and years but for some odd reason the riff to Your Savoir pops into my head at least once a week. It's torture.

Sun April 17, 2016 6:40 pm

I have the same issue with the menu screen music from "NBA Jam." Probably haven't actually heard it since 1996 or so.

Sun April 17, 2016 8:26 pm

agreed that outside of hungerstrike and maybe say hello 2 heaven, this album kinda stinks
Post a reply