The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 519 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Temple of the Dog - 25 Years
PostPosted: Sat April 16, 2016 3:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed July 03, 2013 11:21 pm
Posts: 13580
Location: Lft Craquepeau
Today marks the 25 year anniversary of the release of Temple of the Dog.

Thoughts? Do you still give it a spin? How has it aged? Should they reform and do a followup album/tour/moneygrab?

Are we fucking old now, or what?

_________________
Rangi Guy wrote:
So skating back to the train station after work today things went wrong.....now my skateboard is at the bottom of the harbour :(


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Temple of the Dog - 25 Years
PostPosted: Sat April 16, 2016 6:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 7928
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Wow. Wouldn't Record Store Day have been a great time to release an anniversary LP/boxed set?

_________________
"In a roundabout way, Boba Fett created Pearl Jam." - Chuck Klosterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Temple of the Dog - 25 Years
PostPosted: Sat April 16, 2016 7:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 31447
Location: this field intentionally left blank
I never listen to TOTD unless it comes on shuffle.

_________________
BurtReynolds wrote:
If earth were a sphere, it would be impossible for any of us to stay grounded.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Temple of the Dog - 25 Years
PostPosted: Sat April 16, 2016 9:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 56095
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Yeah, honestly, outside of Hunger Strike, I'm no a big TotD fan. I like it just fine. But I don't love it. And some of those songs go on waaaaaay too long. And I never reach for that album. If it comes on, it comes on, and I'll listen. But I never seek it out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Temple of the Dog - 25 Years
PostPosted: Sat April 16, 2016 9:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 10797
I'm fond of Hunger Strike too but otherwise I think the album is just not that good.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Temple of the Dog - 25 Years
PostPosted: Sat April 16, 2016 9:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Stone's Bitch
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 5816
Location: unnamed mental hospital
Like Ten, the production keeps it frozen in time.

Every song but Hunger Strike sounds better live. Cornell sings the shit out of Call Me a Dog in his solo shows.

_________________
Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
Well fuckhead,


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Temple of the Dog - 25 Years
PostPosted: Sat April 16, 2016 9:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 31380
Location: Mountains
evenslow wrote:
Like Ten, the production keeps it frozen in time.

Every song but Hunger Strike sounds better live. Cornell sings the shit out of Call Me a Dog in his solo shows.

Really? I feel like the production on it is far less frozen in time than Ten. I think it still feels pretty fresh and sounds like a band just knocking tunes out.

I was never a HUGE fan of the album but i think its pretty good and holds up quite well.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Temple of the Dog - 25 Years
PostPosted: Sat April 16, 2016 9:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Stone's Bitch
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 5816
Location: unnamed mental hospital
Strat wrote:
evenslow wrote:
Like Ten, the production keeps it frozen in time.

Every song but Hunger Strike sounds better live. Cornell sings the shit out of Call Me a Dog in his solo shows.

Really? I feel like the production on it is far less frozen in time than Ten. I think it still feels pretty fresh and sounds like a band just knocking tunes out.

I was never a HUGE fan of the album but i think its pretty good and holds up quite well.

Go listen to Reach Down again bro.

_________________
Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
Well fuckhead,


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Temple of the Dog - 25 Years
PostPosted: Sat April 16, 2016 9:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 31380
Location: Mountains
evenslow wrote:
Strat wrote:
evenslow wrote:
Like Ten, the production keeps it frozen in time.

Every song but Hunger Strike sounds better live. Cornell sings the shit out of Call Me a Dog in his solo shows.

Really? I feel like the production on it is far less frozen in time than Ten. I think it still feels pretty fresh and sounds like a band just knocking tunes out.

I was never a HUGE fan of the album but i think its pretty good and holds up quite well.

Go listen to Reach Down again bro.

Pther than the main riff being caked in a chorus or flange or something....I think it sounds pretty good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Temple of the Dog - 25 Years
PostPosted: Sat April 16, 2016 9:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Stone's Bitch
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 5816
Location: unnamed mental hospital
Strat wrote:
evenslow wrote:
Strat wrote:
evenslow wrote:
Like Ten, the production keeps it frozen in time.

Every song but Hunger Strike sounds better live. Cornell sings the shit out of Call Me a Dog in his solo shows.

Really? I feel like the production on it is far less frozen in time than Ten. I think it still feels pretty fresh and sounds like a band just knocking tunes out.

I was never a HUGE fan of the album but i think its pretty good and holds up quite well.

Go listen to Reach Down again bro.

Pther than the main riff being caked in a chorus or flange or something....I think it sounds pretty good

It burns me up inside to disagree with you like this.

_________________
Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
Well fuckhead,


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Temple of the Dog - 25 Years
PostPosted: Sat April 16, 2016 10:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 12079
Temple Of The Dog will always be a special album for me.

Back in the day i was surprised with how good the album was, and the whole story is full of the mystic i adore about PJ and the seattle movement from those days.
In a personal level is also important because as a kid i dreamed of them going on tour and playing live and i kinda knew it was never going to happen but i got the chance to see them at PJ20 so that was really, really special.

Musically i still really like the album. Cornell is fuckin incredible and i like how groovy and heavy it sounds.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Temple of the Dog - 25 Years
PostPosted: Sat April 16, 2016 10:31 pm 
Offline
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 5538
"Say Hello to Heaven," "Reach Down," "Hunger Strike," and "Call Me a Dog" are all among my favorite Chris Cornell compositions -- in a lot of ways I feel like the TOTD album was really where his songwriting advanced a level, beyond riffs and shrieking and towards more sophisticated harmonies, linear lyrical concepts, etc. The second half is much weaker from memory, but having not listened to the album (apart from the songs listed above) for many years, memory is all I have to go on. I will put it in the queue for this week.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Temple of the Dog - 25 Years
PostPosted: Sat April 16, 2016 10:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 12079
Kevin Davis wrote:
"Say Hello to Heaven," "Reach Down," "Hunger Strike," and "Call Me a Dog" are all among my favorite Chris Cornell compositions -- in a lot of ways I feel like the TOTD album was really where his songwriting advanced a level, beyond riffs and shrieking and towards more sophisticated harmonies, linear lyrical concepts, etc. The second half is much weaker from memory, but having not listened to the album (apart from the songs listed above) for many years, memory is all I have to go on. I will put it in the queue for this week.


Agree.
I adore Say hello to heaven and the way Chris sings it, its such a beautiful yet rockin song...Ill add Wooden Jesus, All Night Thing and Times Of Trouble to that list.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Temple of the Dog - 25 Years
PostPosted: Sat April 16, 2016 10:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:17 pm
Posts: 2315
Location: right there
VinylGuy wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
"Say Hello to Heaven," "Reach Down," "Hunger Strike," and "Call Me a Dog" are all among my favorite Chris Cornell compositions -- in a lot of ways I feel like the TOTD album was really where his songwriting advanced a level, beyond riffs and shrieking and towards more sophisticated harmonies, linear lyrical concepts, etc. The second half is much weaker from memory, but having not listened to the album (apart from the songs listed above) for many years, memory is all I have to go on. I will put it in the queue for this week.


Agree.
I adore Say hello to heaven and the way Chris sings it, its such a beautiful yet rockin song...Ill add Wooden Jesus, All Night Thing and Times Of Trouble to that list.

:thumbsup: to you both.

_________________
Art never killed anybody.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Temple of the Dog - 25 Years
PostPosted: Sun April 17, 2016 12:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed July 03, 2013 11:21 pm
Posts: 13580
Location: Lft Craquepeau
Listening to the vinyl now. Fuck me, this was an amazing album.

Nothing but a bunch of guys inspired to get together and jam it out with the blues, not for profit but just dedication to their lost friend.

:nice:

_________________
Rangi Guy wrote:
So skating back to the train station after work today things went wrong.....now my skateboard is at the bottom of the harbour :(


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Temple of the Dog - 25 Years
PostPosted: Sun April 17, 2016 5:02 am 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 26, 2013 12:34 am
Posts: 3738
Location: Chile
I've never listened to the album.

_________________
LuNY wrote:
I am not racist but why the fuck are black people so violent?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Temple of the Dog - 25 Years
PostPosted: Sun April 17, 2016 11:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:17 pm
Posts: 2315
Location: right there
chewm wrote:
I've never listened to the album.

:shock:

_________________
Art never killed anybody.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Temple of the Dog - 25 Years
PostPosted: Sun April 17, 2016 3:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:53 pm
Posts: 7791
I haven't listened in years and years but for some odd reason the riff to Your Savoir pops into my head at least once a week. It's torture.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Temple of the Dog - 25 Years
PostPosted: Sun April 17, 2016 6:40 pm 
Offline
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 5538
I have the same issue with the menu screen music from "NBA Jam." Probably haven't actually heard it since 1996 or so.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Temple of the Dog - 25 Years
PostPosted: Sun April 17, 2016 8:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 15970
agreed that outside of hungerstrike and maybe say hello 2 heaven, this album kinda stinks


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 519 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], rodjam79 and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Thu December 14, 2017 1:07 pm