The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: I've given up on pre-1998 bootlegs.
PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 2:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:24 pm
Posts: 3076
Location: Death Machine Inc's HQ
Anyone else stopped listening to older boots? I think the last time I listened to one was the 1994 Orpheum bootleg, and that I only listened to once. The older shows are great, but I've grown to really like the variety in the 1998-2006 sets.

_________________
the sentinel remains vigilant


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I've given up on pre-1998 bootlegs.
PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 2:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 47804
Location: Sector 7-G
I've given up on pre-2006 bootlegs.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I've given up on pre-1998 bootlegs.
PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 2:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
RM Elitist
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 8:43 pm
Posts: 13361
I've given up on the return of thodoks and lenny

_________________
dimejinky99 wrote:
Hang on I check on my Grindr


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I've given up on pre-1998 bootlegs.
PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 3:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:15 pm
Posts: 5856
I want some decent 1998 recordings (beyond the few well known standards).


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I've given up on pre-1998 bootlegs.
PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 5:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue December 18, 2012 8:33 pm
Posts: 10578
Before they brought back a lot of songs that had been on the shelf, like leash, who you are, no way, all those yesterdays and etc it was great getting to hear that stuff live, but now they play most everything so the total show variety is great. But i still gotta listen to the old stuff for the improvs, ive got a feeling jams, and other nice covers and things the did back then


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I've given up on pre-1998 bootlegs.
PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 5:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 47804
Location: Sector 7-G
Plus it's nice to hear Ed not sounding like shit.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I've given up on pre-1998 bootlegs.
PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 5:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue December 18, 2012 8:33 pm
Posts: 10578
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Plus it's nice to hear Ed not sounding like shit.


That part i dont like, it really really makes me regret my times through out the 90s where i misst my chances to see them in person


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I've given up on pre-1998 bootlegs.
PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 5:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:15 pm
Posts: 5856
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Plus it's nice to hear Ed not sounding like shit.


That part i dont like, it really really makes me regret my times through out the 90s where i misst my chances to see them in person


Yup, laziness prevented me from seeing them when I was college in Burlington, VT in 1991 and when I was living a stone's throw away from Randall's Island in 1996. The Randall's Island misses were inexcusable on my part.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I've given up on pre-1998 bootlegs.
PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 5:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue December 18, 2012 8:33 pm
Posts: 10578
EJ wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Plus it's nice to hear Ed not sounding like shit.


That part i dont like, it really really makes me regret my times through out the 90s where i misst my chances to see them in person


Yup, laziness prevented me from seeing them when I was college in Burlington, VT in 1991 and when I was living a stone's throw away from Randall's Island in 1996. The Randall's Island misses were inexcusable on my part.


93 i think, the show sold out in 5 minutes, 94 & 95 my cousin didnt let me know about the shows untill after they were on sale and i missed out, and 96 it was nerly impossible for me to get through on the phone with the different agency they were using :(


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I've given up on pre-1998 bootlegs.
PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 9:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 11066
I've almost entirely given up on post-2000 bootlegs.

The performance level after that tour just isn't there, plus I lean towards favouring Abbruzzese or Irons on drums for this band anyway.

As the variety increased in their sets, the shows got sloppier and less-focused. I don't listen to Pearl Jam shows very often (that might pick up again at some point, who knows), but when I do I'd rather hear tight, impassioned versions of the regulars than under-rehearsed rarities.

Vault shows from 1993-1998 are the thing I'm most hanging on for with these guys right now, more so than a new album/tour. I'm very glad I saw them with Jack at least once.

_________________
HEY YOU!!! GO VOTE IN THE CURE TOURNAMENT.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I've given up on pre-1998 bootlegs.
PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 1:26 am 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:44 pm
Posts: 8041
Location: Franklin, MA
I've given up on ever getting road head.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I've given up on pre-1998 bootlegs.
PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 1:33 am 
Offline
User avatar
RM Elitist
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 8:43 pm
Posts: 13361
numbers wrote:
I've given up on ever getting road head.



Our Baltimore road trip could prove fruitful, numbers.

_________________
dimejinky99 wrote:
Hang on I check on my Grindr


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I've given up on pre-1998 bootlegs.
PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 1:35 am 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:44 pm
Posts: 8041
Location: Franklin, MA
@SkitchP wrote:
numbers wrote:
I've given up on ever getting road head.



Our Baltimore road trip could prove fruitful, numbers.


As if seeing an actual working Baltimore corner wouldnt be enough.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I've given up on pre-1998 bootlegs.
PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 3:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 3:21 am
Posts: 108
Location: Kitchener Ontario Canada
I have a hard time going back and listening to post-2000 boots. Whenever I put a show on its usually from the 2000 tour and back with 1998 being my favorite. The band was at their peak a as far as the live show goes.

_________________
8/22/98, 9/11/05, 8/19/09/, 9/15/11,7/16/13
Still waiting for Yellow Ledbetter to open a show.....


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I've given up on pre-1998 bootlegs.
PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 4:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 12867
Location: Illinois
Birds in Hell wrote:
I've almost entirely given up on post-2000 bootlegs.

The performance level after that tour just isn't there, plus I lean towards favouring Abbruzzese or Irons on drums for this band anyway.

As the variety increased in their sets, the shows got sloppier and less-focused. I don't listen to Pearl Jam shows very often (that might pick up again at some point, who knows), but when I do I'd rather hear tight, impassioned versions of the regulars than under-rehearsed rarities.

Vault shows from 1993-1998 are the thing I'm most hanging on for with these guys right now, more so than a new album/tour. I'm very glad I saw them with Jack at least once.


I agree with this. The set list variety/rarity monster really has taken its toll on this band. What used to be an attribute now is somewhat of a negative in my mind. They simply aren't rehearsed enough to have any business playing all that random shit.

I much prefer 98-03. Improvs, better covers, Ed doesn't sound so ragged and seems to at least try to remember the words. Mike's guitar tone was a lot better pre 06 as well. I'll never forget how shitty he sounded during Evenflow at Summerfest in 06...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I've given up on pre-1998 bootlegs.
PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 11:35 am 
Online
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 30186
I used to like the improvs, but I find myself much more interested in having that time devoted to an actual song. Improving during a song is different. That I'd love to hear more of.

_________________
So many tournaments, so little time


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I've given up on pre-1998 bootlegs.
PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 11:57 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 11066
Stip wrote:
Improving during a song is different. That I'd love to hear more of.

Agreed, Pearl Jam could do with some improving.

_________________
HEY YOU!!! GO VOTE IN THE CURE TOURNAMENT.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I've given up on pre-1998 bootlegs.
PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 12:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:24 pm
Posts: 3076
Location: Death Machine Inc's HQ
I guess I have kinda gotten used to Ed's tobacco-ravaged voice to the point where the older stuff is what sounds a bit off.

_________________
the sentinel remains vigilant


Last edited by broken iris on Thu January 03, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I've given up on pre-1998 bootlegs.
PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 12:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue December 18, 2012 8:33 pm
Posts: 10578
Stip wrote:
I used to like the improvs, but I find myself much more interested in having that time devoted to an actual song. Improving during a song is different. That I'd love to hear more of.


not saying i want them to go back into doing full improvs again, but they were pretty cool to find when trading older shows back in the day, and a plus since there was less material for them to vary the setlists with. and im with you, doing it during songs a little more would be nice.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I've given up on pre-1998 bootlegs.
PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 3:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 47804
Location: Sector 7-G
Loved that pre Habit improv thing they did on the 98 tour.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Mon February 19, 2018 1:37 pm