Switch to full style
General Pearl Jam discussion.
Post a reply

Re: Will Pearl Jam Cancel Their NC Show?

Sat April 09, 2016 6:48 pm

This seems like a good way to go about it:

http://www.people.com/article/joel-mchale-criticizes-north-carolina-hb2-donates-durham-lgbtq-center?xid=socialflow_twitter_peoplemag

Sat April 09, 2016 8:59 pm

theplatypus wrote:I'm not just talking about the Springsteen show. There's a number of businesses that will be leaving NC or canceling their plans to expand in the state over this, which will have a substantial effect on the local economy. Yes, they're putting pressure on the state by withholding money, but it's also going to affect people's lives in a real and tangible way.

Historically this has been one of the most effective ways to prod governments into reversing policy. You're not wrong about the impact it has on the local economy, fans, etc. But that's part of the point.

Lost revenue and pissed off people are a great catalyst for political change (even if they are not technically in your district)

it's actually the 'I'm not going to play there any more/let me sign some petition/brow beat an audience in another state about how terrible this is' that is far more guilty of the vanity charge.

Sat April 09, 2016 9:07 pm

Farmer John wrote:This seems like a good way to go about it:

http://www.people.com/article/joel-mchale-criticizes-north-carolina-hb2-donates-durham-lgbtq-center?xid=socialflow_twitter_peoplemag

which is also classy and a cool thing to do, but given the reality of what B just described less likely to be effective.

Sun April 10, 2016 12:26 am

stip wrote:

which is also classy and a cool thing to do, but given the reality of what B just described less likely to be effective.

Well, I don't think anything would be effective. Might as well just give a bunch of money to the LBGT charity.

Sun April 10, 2016 2:23 pm

CopperTom wrote:Le$$ likely to cancel.

Ha!

Sun April 10, 2016 4:21 pm

There was some fake story on Facebook today about the Dead & Company cancelling their Charlotte show in June because of this. We also have tickets to that show. As I said, the story was fake but I hope it doesn't gain any momentum with any bands playing in NC. Why punish the fans who probably agree with your stance anyway?

Sun April 10, 2016 8:08 pm

The worst part of cancellations is that Ticketmaster still charges you a fee for the refund.

Sun April 10, 2016 11:33 pm

Monkey_Driven wrote:The worst part of cancellations is that Ticketmaster still charges you a fee for the refund.

Someone should really try and take down that ticketmaster. Fuck ticketmaster man. I wonder which artist could lead that charge?

Sun April 10, 2016 11:35 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:There was some fake story on Facebook today about the Dead & Company cancelling their Charlotte show in June because of this. We also have tickets to that show. As I said, the story was fake but I hope it doesn't gain any momentum with any bands playing in NC. Why punish the fans who probably agree with your stance anyway?

You should have done more to prevent this bill from being passed.

Sun April 10, 2016 11:35 pm

Did you even do anything, Ruddock?

Mon April 11, 2016 12:20 am

tommymtcom wrote:Did you even do anything, Ruddock?

I live in SC

Mon April 11, 2016 12:31 am

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

I live in SC

That's no excuse.

Mon April 11, 2016 1:24 am

I just googled Nikki Haley. I am in SHOCK that she isn't asking for a similar bill. I may have to head south.

Just kidding. I'm gonna move to Portland.

Mon April 11, 2016 2:44 am

CopperTom wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

I live in SC

That's no excuse.

I don't have time to worry about b's state

Mon April 11, 2016 2:47 am

B wrote:I just googled Nikki Haley. I am in SHOCK that she isn't asking for a similar bill. I may have to head south.

Just kidding. I'm gonna move to Portland.

The thing about her though is she makes her living on trying to get businesses to come to SC. She's not going to risk all the potential business for something like that. Plus, with Boeing and BMW in the state, she would feel pressure immediately from companies like that

Mon April 11, 2016 12:18 pm

Pearl Jam should've just skipped the south like usual and all this could've been avoided.

Mon April 11, 2016 3:00 pm

spike wrote:Pearl Jam should've just skipped the south like usual and all this could've been avoided.

It get's you thinking.

Mon April 11, 2016 3:15 pm

CopperTom wrote:
spike wrote:Pearl Jam should've just skipped the south like usual and all this could've been avoided.

It get's you thinking.

3 shows in Carolinas lol

Mon April 11, 2016 3:18 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

It get's you thinking.

3 shows in Carolinas lol

For now...

Wed April 13, 2016 10:41 pm

Ringo starr just cancelled his show in NC
Post a reply