The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 507 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam Cancels Their NC Show?
PostPosted: Wed April 20, 2016 2:35 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

McParadigm wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I mean, they're paying in Kentucky where that lady was refusing to authorize gay marriages. Why aren't they canceling that show?

Yeah, I kinda have a problem with the boycott too. It just screams hypocrisy to me. I mean, some of the same people play in other states / countries with far worse crimes against humanity, but hey, that's cool. It just seems they are jumping on a trendy bandwagon (I think the law is stupid FWIW), but I don't think this boycott does much, other than give fuel to the right side wackos, while disappointing their fan base (most of whom probably agree that the law is dumb).

Yeah let's not overlook the real victims here: Pearl Jam fans.

I Am a Patriot

PostPosted: Wed April 20, 2016 2:39 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

darth_vedder wrote:
It's also dumb fro PJ to cancel when GLAAD asked artist not to boycott.

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/musi ... ls-n554831

Simply the act of being GLAAD does not make them more insightful on the best way to impact a situation like this. But for shits and giggles, their statement reads "we need you here, raising money and awareness." Canceling the show and donating to the cause simultaneously did exactly that. And, in fact, the accumulation of all these acts turning their backs has produced far more media attention than an Eddie Vedder on-stage quote in a concert review ever would.

No matter what you say while you're onstage, at a goddamn rock show of all things, having the concert is ultimately doing nothing at all. So the counter argument reads to me as "canceling your show won't end this injustice, and you don't fight EVERY injustice ALL the time, so its kind of shitty of you to do anything right now."

PostPosted: Wed April 20, 2016 2:41 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Dear Pearl Jam,

PostPosted: Wed April 20, 2016 2:42 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

darth_vedder wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I mean, they're paying in Kentucky where that lady was refusing to authorize gay marriages. Why aren't they canceling that show?

Yeah, I kinda have a problem with the boycott too. It just screams hypocrisy to me. I mean, some of the same people play in other states / countries with far worse crimes against humanity, but hey, that's cool. It just seems they are jumping on a trendy bandwagon (I think the law is stupid FWIW), but I don't think this boycott does much, other than give fuel to the right side wackos, while disappointing their fan base (most of whom probably agree that the law is dumb).

So you think canceling a rock concert will magically bring equality to everyone? Look, the law if fucking dumb, but canceling the show is too.

Oh, it's working. Our governor is desperate to shut this up, and the more it comes up the sloppier and stupider he gets.

PostPosted: Wed April 20, 2016 3:18 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

B wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

So you think canceling a rock concert will magically bring equality to everyone? Look, the law if fucking dumb, but canceling the show is too.

Oh, it's working. Our governor is desperate to shut this up, and the more it comes up the sloppier and stupider he gets.

That's good to know. I guess I can eat crow.

PostPosted: Wed April 20, 2016 3:22 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

McParadigm wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

Simply the act of being GLAAD does not make them more insightful on the best way to impact a situation like this. But for shits and giggles, their statement reads "we need you here, raising money and awareness." Canceling the show and donating to the cause simultaneously did exactly that. And, in fact, the accumulation of all these acts turning their backs has produced far more media attention than an Eddie Vedder on-stage quote in a concert review ever would.

No matter what you say while you're onstage, at a goddamn rock show of all things, having the concert is ultimately doing nothing at all. So the counter argument reads to me as "canceling your show won't end this injustice, and you don't fight EVERY injustice ALL the time, so its kind of shitty of you to do anything right now."

Fair points. I guess what I was basically trying to get at is that I'd like to see other methods over an all out boycott. I guess that has the biggest impact though.

PostPosted: Wed April 20, 2016 3:29 pm 
Poster of the Year

darth_vedder wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

Fair points. I guess what I was basically trying to get at is that I'd like to see other methods over an all out boycott. I guess that has the biggest impact though.

Just admit you want them to use tactics that impact you in the least.

PostPosted: Wed April 20, 2016 3:38 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

cutuphalfdead wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

Just admit you want them to use tactics that impact you in the least.

hey man, i'm only going to philly 2, i know they won't cancel there, so i really don't give a shit about any of this.

PostPosted: Wed April 20, 2016 6:27 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Eleven Things Eddie Vedder is Probably Doing Today Instead of Playing Raleigh

http://www.indyweek.com/music/archives/ ... oing-today

PostPosted: Wed April 20, 2016 7:21 pm 
Broken Tamborine

theplatypus wrote:

Funny stuff there.

PostPosted: Wed April 20, 2016 9:39 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

darth_vedder wrote:
B wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

That's good to know. I guess I can eat crow.

Don't worry, you won't be plating up any time soon. He gives a shit about whether people in Charlotte, Raleigh, and Durham have jobs. The General Assembly does not.

PostPosted: Thu April 21, 2016 4:20 am 
The Master

Quote:
Father John Misty, the folk singer-songwriter whose real name is Josh Tillman, tells Rolling Stone that he will donate the proceeds of his April 27th show at the Fillmore Charlotte in Charlotte, North Carolina to Time Out Youth, a Charlotte-based LGBT support center.

High-profile artists like Bruce Springsteen, Ringo Starr, Pearl Jam and Boston have canceled upcoming North Carolina concerts in protest of the controversial HB2 bill, which was signed into law March 23rd. The so-called "bathroom bill" would allow North Carolina businesses to deny service to the LGBT community and force transgender people to use bathrooms that correspond to their birth gender.

In a statement to Rolling Stone, Tillman said that playing the North Carolina concert doesn't mean he endorses the bill.

"The bill is obviously bullshit," Tillman said. "[If] I thought playing a show for my fans in North Carolina was in any way some tacit endorsement of this fearful, petty, ignorant nonsense, I wouldn't. I also play states that have oppressive drug laws designed to imprison the disenfranchised, rig elections, deny women their dignity, defend the reckless and insane practice of selling guns and sustain a permanent underclass with hypocritical, opportunist readings of archaic documents written by land-stealers who never intended political privilege to extend past their buddies.

"These are obviously all huge systemic problems," he adds. "But for me, this show represents a start in investing in the plight of other Americans."

Tillman is one of numerous performers donating the proceeds of their concerts to LGBT-supporting foundations and charities. Last week, Cyndi Lauper wrote on her website that she will donate the profits of her June 4th concert in Raleigh, North Carolina to Equality North Carolina, an organization working to repeal HB2.

PostPosted: Thu April 21, 2016 4:24 am 
The Master

intodeep wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Funny stuff there.

Quote:
Organizing his hair collection chronologically.

:haha:

PostPosted: Thu April 21, 2016 10:58 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

spike wrote:
Quote:
Father John Misty, the folk singer-songwriter whose real name is Josh Tillman, tells Rolling Stone that he will donate the proceeds of his April 27th show at the Fillmore Charlotte in Charlotte, North Carolina to Time Out Youth, a Charlotte-based LGBT support center.

High-profile artists like Bruce Springsteen, Ringo Starr, Pearl Jam and Boston have canceled upcoming North Carolina concerts in protest of the controversial HB2 bill, which was signed into law March 23rd. The so-called "bathroom bill" would allow North Carolina businesses to deny service to the LGBT community and force transgender people to use bathrooms that correspond to their birth gender.

In a statement to Rolling Stone, Tillman said that playing the North Carolina concert doesn't mean he endorses the bill.

"The bill is obviously bullshit," Tillman said. "[If] I thought playing a show for my fans in North Carolina was in any way some tacit endorsement of this fearful, petty, ignorant nonsense, I wouldn't. I also play states that have oppressive drug laws designed to imprison the disenfranchised, rig elections, deny women their dignity, defend the reckless and insane practice of selling guns and sustain a permanent underclass with hypocritical, opportunist readings of archaic documents written by land-stealers who never intended political privilege to extend past their buddies.

"These are obviously all huge systemic problems," he adds. "But for me, this show represents a start in investing in the plight of other Americans."

Tillman is one of numerous performers donating the proceeds of their concerts to LGBT-supporting foundations and charities. Last week, Cyndi Lauper wrote on her website that she will donate the profits of her June 4th concert in Raleigh, North Carolina to Equality North Carolina, an organization working to repeal HB2.

Fuck, it's painful to know that the boycott movement won't be bolstered by the economic powerhouse that is Father John Misty.

PostPosted: Thu April 21, 2016 1:01 pm 
The Master

B wrote:
spike wrote:
Quote:

Fuck, it's painful to know that the boycott movement won't be bolstered by the economic powerhouse that is Father John Misty.

i just thought it was a pretty good quote and provides perspective.

PostPosted: Thu April 21, 2016 1:05 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

spike wrote:
Quote:

this guy pretty much says what i was thinking while posting yesterday, but failed to get across.

PostPosted: Thu April 21, 2016 1:58 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

FJM is doing it right. As usual.

PostPosted: Thu April 21, 2016 4:14 pm 
Poster of the Year

Maybe there is no right or wrong here. Maybe there are pros and cons to all these approaches. Maybe the artist just has to do what they feel is right.

PostPosted: Thu April 21, 2016 4:26 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Maybe there is no right or wrong here. Maybe there are pros and cons to all these approaches. Maybe the artist just has to do what they feel is right.

Just not lest you feel awesome for judging.

PostPosted: Thu April 21, 2016 4:27 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Maybe.

But Pearl Jam's way was the wrong way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 507 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 26  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam