The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 507 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Pearl Jam Cancels Their NC Show
PostPosted: Fri April 08, 2016 8:04 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Quote:
A STATEMENT FROM BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN ON NORTH CAROLINA

As you, my fans, know I’m scheduled to play in Greensboro, North Carolina this Sunday. As we also know, North Carolina has just passed HB2, which the media are referring to as the “bathroom” law. HB2 — known officially as the Public Facilities Privacy and Security Act — dictates which bathrooms transgender people are permitted to use. Just as important, the law also attacks the rights of LGBT citizens to sue when their human rights are violated in the workplace. No other group of North Carolinians faces such a burden. To my mind, it’s an attempt by people who cannot stand the progress our country has made in recognizing the human rights of all of our citizens to overturn that progress. Right now, there are many groups, businesses, and individuals in North Carolina working to oppose and overcome these negative developments. Taking all of this into account, I feel that this is a time for me and the band to show solidarity for those freedom fighters. As a result, and with deepest apologies to our dedicated fans in Greensboro, we have canceled our show scheduled for Sunday, April 10th. Some things are more important than a rock show and this fight against prejudice and bigotry — which is happening as I write — is one of them. It is the strongest means I have for raising my voice in opposition to those who continue to push us backwards instead of forwards.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band’s Sunday April 10th show is canceled. Tickets will be refunded at point of purchase.

http://brucespringsteen.net/#post-10243

Post subject: Re: Will Pearl Jam Cancel Their NC Show?
PostPosted: Fri April 08, 2016 8:13 pm 
Champion of RM

Le$$ likely to cancel.

PostPosted: Fri April 08, 2016 8:19 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

why cancel when you could browbeat a captive audience for 2 hours?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri April 08, 2016 8:19 pm 
Rank This Poster

2 1/2 hours

PostPosted: Fri April 08, 2016 8:20 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

tommymtcom wrote:
2 1/2 hours

The extra half hour is Even Flow Piss Break.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri April 08, 2016 9:18 pm 
Future Drummer

No way they cancel

PostPosted: Fri April 08, 2016 9:20 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

1996 Pearl Jam would have

PostPosted: Fri April 08, 2016 9:24 pm 
AnalLog

they have flip flops to sell

PostPosted: Fri April 08, 2016 9:55 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Cancelling shows for reasons like this is so monumentally stupid. It has no practical effect, other than to flatter the artist's sense of smug self-satisfaction, and only serves to disappoint and frustrate their fans - most of whom probably already agree with the artist's point of view anyway.

PostPosted: Fri April 08, 2016 11:47 pm 
The Master

Birds in Hell wrote:
Cancelling shows for reasons like this is so monumentally stupid. It has no practical effect, other than to flatter the artist's sense of smug self-satisfaction, and only serves to disappoint and frustrate their fans - most of whom probably already agree with the artist's point of view anyway.

:shake:

PostPosted: Fri April 08, 2016 11:59 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Go on, Strat.

PostPosted: Sat April 09, 2016 12:08 am 
The Master

Lol. I have no idea how it will or can impact a local economy so I can't say. This is ultimately just a fundamental difference between me and you. I think it is always worth it to make a stand and be a voice. Also, I know there are a lot of Bruce fans that don't agree with his politics (Same went with Neil during his LIving with War tour) but Bruce is not doing this to stroke his ego.

PostPosted: Sat April 09, 2016 12:19 am 

Strat wrote:
Lol. I have no idea how it will or can impact a local economy so I can't say. This is ultimately just a fundamental difference between me and you. I think it is always worth it to make a stand and be a voice. Also, I know there are a lot of Bruce fans that don't agree with his politics (Same went with Neil during his LIving with War tour) but Bruce is not doing this to stroke his ego.

There are better ways to take a stand than to take action that is IMO actively counterproductive to the cause one supports. Its a question of tactics more than intent, though who knows about "The Boss's" ego.

PostPosted: Sat April 09, 2016 12:25 am 
The Master

BurtReynolds wrote:
Strat wrote:

There are better ways to take a stand than to take action that is IMO actively counterproductive to the cause one supports. Its a question of tactics more than intent, though who knows about "The Boss's" ego.

Well hopefully there were a few of the politicians planning on heading to the show.

PostPosted: Sat April 09, 2016 12:26 am 

Strat wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Strat wrote:

Well hopefully there were a few of the politicians planning on heading to the show.

heh with the cost of ticket prices these days, there probably were.

PostPosted: Sat April 09, 2016 12:31 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Birds in Hell wrote:

Ageered.

PostPosted: Sat April 09, 2016 12:57 am 
tl;dr

Birds in Hell wrote:

Agreed with this 100%. Maybe Bruce remembers the Vote For Change Tour's failure to oust GWB from office, so now he has it in mind that since playing shows for people caused them to do the opposite of his wishes, not playing shows for them will inspire them to support his cause.

Musicians are fucking ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sat April 09, 2016 1:03 am 
The Master

I don't know; I can see both sides of this one.

On the one hand, is it the best way to make your point to punish your fans who weren't the ones to implement the policy you disagree with? Is that fair to them?

On the other hand, the only thing these dumbshit politicians are likely to respond to is money. This isn't just Bruce; many musicians and filmmakers are vowing not to do business in NC until this law is repealed. That's gonna cost the state a lot in lost revenue. In the long run, as a group, I could see this kind of protest having a legitimate chance of making a difference.

Maybe there is ego involved. Maybe there is pandering. But I'm not entirely sure this is merely futile grandstanding.

Last edited by LoathedVermin72 on Sat April 09, 2016 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat April 09, 2016 1:03 am 
The Master

Guys, The Boss's arthritis is acting up and this is just his excuse to take a night off.

PostPosted: Sat April 09, 2016 1:09 am 
The Master

bunch of jaded hacks, the whole lot of ya!

If nobody does anything, nothing happens, if a few people do a few things and make a statement, things can build and change can happen.

This is a good thing to happen and i really dont think Bruce is doing this for ego or self inflation purposes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 507 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam