The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next

Rate Vitalogy
5 stars 78%  78%  [ 28 ]
4 stars 22%  22%  [ 8 ]
3 stars 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2 stars 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 star 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 36
 Post subject: Re: Vitalogy: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2013 2:26 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I love this album. I love the songs in this album. But if there's one thing keeping it from being one of my favorites it's the production. It's too clean, too stark, too clear, almost clinical. I feel like these songs need a bit more grit to them, a little more bleed-through. I'd love for this album to sound more like No Code. Denser.

Again: I love the songs. I think they're all really great (except maybe "Whipping").

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2013 3:18 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I like Whipping. I think at this time the sheer force of Vedder's will could move mountains with his vocals, and this is an example of him conveying his claustrophobia in a way that makes you feel like he's just about to push back. It feels like someone stuck unwillingly in the middle of a mosh pit who's about to start flailing wildly, and sorry if you get caught in the crossfire.

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2013 3:19 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

It's a good performance, I just find the song kind of dull. I like most of their other unhinged rockers better.

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2013 3:29 pm 
Future Drummer

theplatypus wrote:
It's a good performance, I just find the song kind of dull. I like most of their other unhinged rockers better.

I agree Whipping may be the low point and feels a bit held-back. I wish it had the same 'jam-in-the-studio sound' that the X-mas version of Sonic Reducer did.

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2013 3:55 pm 
The worst

whipping is the low point, but it's still a good song

I like how stark and cold the production is. Kind of like raging in a mental health ward

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri March 29, 2013 3:39 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

when it comes to pearl jam-related topics, not much makes me laugh more than a couple using Better Man as "their" song. Proposing to it. Serenading each other. Idiots.

PostPosted: Fri March 29, 2013 3:40 am 
Poster of the Year

It's like when a politician uses Born In The USA at campaign event.

PostPosted: Fri March 29, 2013 3:42 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

bodysnatcher wrote:
when it comes to pearl jam-related topics, not much makes me laugh more than a couple using Better Man as "their" song. Proposing to it. Serenading each other. Idiots.

I've never seen this. Does it actually happen?

PostPosted: Fri March 29, 2013 3:47 am 
AnalLog

Farmer John wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Tremor Christ should be way near the top and Aye Davanita is so much better than those other songs you have it with.

It would probably be easier if you just gave everyone the correct rankings at the beginning of the thread and then we wouldn't have to waist your time correcting our personal lists.

:haha:

PostPosted: Fri March 29, 2013 3:47 am 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Maybe - maybe not. But this was the performance that came to mind. I believe their is a couple holding eachother and slow dancing during it:

WHatever, I dont expect most people to be as obsessed with music as I and if they are love....

PostPosted: Fri March 29, 2013 3:48 am 
The worst

theplatypus wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

I had seen it. Hell, in 1995 it was one of the songs we could vote on for our senior prom theme

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri March 29, 2013 5:40 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

stip wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

I had seen it. Hell, in 1995 it was one of the songs we could vote on for our senior prom theme

Oh yeah, I saw it all the time in high school. Granted, I grew up in Mississippi, so it's not like I was surrounded by the brightest bunch.

I even want to say that there was a proposal during, or a dedication of BetterMan bc of a proposal, at a PJ concert somewhat recently (within the last 5 years or so). Could be wrong on that though.

PostPosted: Fri March 29, 2013 11:21 am 
what on earth am I talking about

The alternative take of Corduroy has that grit Jorge mentioned, I believe.
When I first heard it I was amazed they didn't go with it. It's far better. Maybe a little too big for the songs surrounding it, perhaps that's why they went with the quieter one.

PostPosted: Fri March 29, 2013 1:31 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

dimejinky99 wrote:
The alternative take of Corduroy has that grit Jorge mentioned, I believe.
When I first heard it I was amazed they didn't go with it. It's far better. Maybe a little too big for the songs surrounding it, perhaps that's why they went with the quieter one.

You can understand all the lyrics, for one thing....and for a lot of that take, understanding the lyrics is a detriment.

Those razor's edge Vitalogy guitars, and the jarring way they're often used, are perfect for that record. One of the great things about the sound on that one is that it often feels like they're fighting the instruments rather than playing them, which stands apart from the usual big squeeze of "I'm tough, but I also really like you" guitars on other Pearl Jam records. It also juxtaposes well with the almost delicate, imperfect playing on No Code, which sometimes sounds like a bunch of talented musicians who were in a traumatic car accident and are now having to relearn how to play together as part of their rehab.

Trading that brittle crunch for fuller sound and extra dirt would be a mistake, I think.

PostPosted: Fri March 29, 2013 1:39 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

bodysnatcher wrote:

Actually, it had nothing to do with the meaning of the songs at all, but my brother came out to the final sequence of Better Man when announced as my best man at my wedding. The idea, as far as I'm concerned, was genius - I had been to 19 Pearl Jam concerts and my wife about 20 Dave Matthews Band concerts, so my groomsman and best man came out to Pearl Jam songs and my wifes bridesmaids came out to Dave Matthews Band songs. Then for the first dance, we played Dave Matthews Band because when it comes to a battle between husband and wife, wife always wins. I thought it was hilarious. That, and despite my wife iron clad control of the music playlist with the DJ, my friends kept demanding Pearl Jam songs and the DJ relented. What a great f'in wedding!

Also, speaking of touch of humor, the parents came out to Glory Days, and when my wife and I were initially introduced, we came out to It's the End of the World As We Know It.

PostPosted: Sat March 30, 2013 3:45 am 
AnalLog

theplatypus wrote:
I love this album. I love the songs in this album. But if there's one thing keeping it from being one of my favorites it's the production. It's too clean, too stark, too clear, almost clinical. I feel like these songs need a bit more grit to them, a little more bleed-through. I'd love for this album to sound more like No Code. Denser.

Again: I love the songs. I think they're all really great (except maybe "Whipping").

i really don't hear it as you do. to me, it's the more bare-bones album they've made - it's like hi-fidelity for a low-fi band which is even more daring and crude than pure lo-fi because you can hear the whispers and the crunch of the guitars as if your ears were an inch from everything and all the while it's spacious and emotive - you feel the room and the tension roaming in it. several songs on No Code reach for that too but i can't think of any other PJ album that is more skin deep than this one.

or you were just being an ass :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat March 30, 2013 4:12 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

No, I agree. It is bare-bones and crisp and clear. I just wish it were less dry. I'm not pointing out faults in the production, I'm stating my personal preference.

PostPosted: Sun March 08, 2015 7:38 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

I'm listening to this right now and it's still mind-bogglingly good.

PostPosted: Sun March 08, 2015 8:07 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Birds in Hell wrote:
I'm listening to this right now and it's still mind-bogglingly good.

:thumbsup:

And it comes down to them being a tight outfit. The performances are out of this world.

PostPosted: Sun March 08, 2015 9:34 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Rankin' em

Corduroy
Betterman
Last Exit
Tremor Christ
Not For You
Nothingman
Spin the Black Circle
Aye Davanita
Satan's Bed
Immortality
Whipping
Bugs
Pry, To
Stupid Mop

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam