The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: An Evening with Pearl Jam = No Opener + ?
PostPosted: Mon January 28, 2013 12:34 am 
Lost Cat

These two upcoming July shows are being referred to as "An Evening with Pearl Jam"; how many of their previous concerts have carried this same exact description, and what were the set lists for those shows? It would be interesting to better understand if shows with this "An Evening with Pearl Jam" description have any tendencies to them beyond no opening band/act. Can we group-source this one?

I read that two shows at the Gorge in 2006 were described as "An Evening with Pearl Jam". Here are their setlists from TFT:

07/22/06 – The Gorge Amphitheatre, George, WA, USA
set: Wash, Corduroy, Hail Hail, World Wide Suicide, Severed Hand, Given To Fly, Elderly Woman…, Even Flow, Down, I Am Mine, Unemployable, Daughter/(It’s OK), Gone, Black, Insignificance, Life Wasted, Blood
first encore: Footsteps, Once, Alive, State of Love and Trust, Crown of Thorns, Leash, Porch
second encore: Last Kiss, Inside Job, Go, Baba O’Riley, Dirty Frank, Rockin’ in the Free World, Yellow Ledbetter

07/23/06 – The Gorge Amphitheatre, George, WA, USA
set: Severed Hand, Corduroy, World Wide Suicide, Gods’ Dice, Animal, Do The Evolution, In Hiding, Green Disease, Even Flow, Marker in the Sand, Wasted Reprise, Better Man/(Save it for Later), Army Reserve, Garden, Rats, Whipping, Jeremy, Why Go
first encore: I Won’t Back Down, Life Wasted, Big Wave, Satan’s Bed, Spin the Black Circle, Alive
second encore: Given to Fly, Little Wing, Crazy Mary, Comatose, Fuckin Up, Yellow Ledbetter/(Star-Spangled Banner)

Post subject: Re: An Evening with Pearl Jam = No Opener + ?
PostPosted: Mon January 28, 2013 1:00 am 
what on earth am I talking about

what's your point, caller?

PostPosted: Mon January 28, 2013 1:19 am 
Lost Cat

(1st time, long time)

Besides the lack of an opening band, does history show that concerts designated as "An Evening with Pearl Jam" have anything special associated with them? Longer than average setlists, unique 1st or last song, guest spots, etc...

PostPosted: Mon January 28, 2013 1:34 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

History shows that concerts designated as "An Evening with Pearl Jam" take place in the Gorge. I surmise they will move the Gorge to Wrigley Field for this event.

PostPosted: Mon January 28, 2013 1:36 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Maple Jar wrote:
(1st time, long time)

Besides the lack of an opening band, does history show that concerts designated as "An Evening with Pearl Jam" have anything special associated with them? Longer than average setlists, unique 1st or last song, guest spots, etc...

Thought that was what you were getting at. Short answer, no. No it doesnt mean anything. And it being 2 shows they'll probably be woefully unrehearsed and it'll be nothing but knuckle draggers in the crowd.

PostPosted: Mon January 28, 2013 1:40 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Santa Barbara 03 was also an evening with pearl jam and i think Benarroya too..i dont remember.

I think they called those shows that way because they seem special... Well see.

PostPosted: Mon January 28, 2013 2:21 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Remember when everyone thought the band would play for over three hours at PJ20 with relevant special guests such as Neil Young and former band members?

I'd advise to keep your expectations relatively low.

PostPosted: Mon January 28, 2013 4:18 am 
AnalLog

Caller "vinyl guy" made a good reference to the Santa Barbara show. Minus the repeating of " I believe in mircles"it is probably the most exciting setlist/guest list to date.

Being in a 40k ballpark I'm thinking it will just be a slightly extended pj set. History tells us it could be either or but at the same time it tells us to keep expectations low and enjoy whatever it is that you get

PostPosted: Mon January 28, 2013 12:44 pm 
AnalLog

gardenparty wrote:
Caller "vinyl guy" made a good reference to the Santa Barbara show. Minus the repeating of " I believe in mircles"it is probably the most exciting setlist/guest list to date.

Being in a 40k ballpark I'm thinking it will just be a slightly extended pj set. History tells us it could be either or but at the same time it tells us to keep expectations low and enjoy whatever it is that you get

At Santa Barbara Ed said, "This like a mini-Gorge set" which seemed further confirmation that they would come out at the Gorge and play an acoustic set before the main set. It obviously didn't happen and I think that might have been due to the extreme heat and them wanting to conserve energy. 7/22 and 7/23 were the best shows I've ever seen by them, but I definitely expected acoustic set.

PostPosted: Mon January 28, 2013 1:25 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

An Evening with Pearl Jam =

1) No opening band.
2) It will be in the evening.
3) Pearl Jam will be playing.
4) The wait for their 10th album is getting ridiculous.
5) They won't open with Rats.

PostPosted: Mon January 28, 2013 2:08 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Yeah, it's an reference / borrowing from Zeppelin's early days, when they would tour without an opening act and bill the gigs as "An Evening with Led Zeppelin." It was a Peter Grant idea that the band went along with in spite of feeling that it had a bit of a 'theater' vibe to it...and one that's been liberally used by other acts off an on through the years ever since.

Zep, of course, did it because their improv-heavy concerts tended to be as long as Springsteen's would be a few years later...although at one early show Roger Daltry was said to have commented "I can see why nobody will play with these guys...they're just too good."

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam