The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: What song is your "gateway drug"?
PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 5:03 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

PHATJ wrote:
I started both my cassette collection and later my CD collection through Colombia House and BMG subscriptions. The first three CDs I ever purchased were Vitalogy, STP - Purple, and Nirvana - Unplugged in 1994. I was 14 years old. It took me a few years to re-purchase all my cassettes on CD, but eventually I did. Then in the late '90s I got sucked into the MiniDisc "fad" for a while. I still have a copy of Vs. on MiniDisc to this day! HAHA!

I still have about 50 MiniDiscs buried in my garage. I had a friend that did promotional work for Sony and she gave them to me all the time. I also had a killer MiniDisc Walkman.

PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 1:21 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

turned2black wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
I started both my cassette collection and later my CD collection through Colombia House and BMG subscriptions. The first three CDs I ever purchased were Vitalogy, STP - Purple, and Nirvana - Unplugged in 1994. I was 14 years old. It took me a few years to re-purchase all my cassettes on CD, but eventually I did. Then in the late '90s I got sucked into the MiniDisc "fad" for a while. I still have a copy of Vs. on MiniDisc to this day! HAHA!

I still have about 50 MiniDiscs buried in my garage. I had a friend that did promotional work for Sony and she gave them to me all the time. I also had a killer MiniDisc Walkman.

I liked the mini disc. I used to work at Circuit City back in the day, and I was a big fan. I liked how they were, well, mini. Much easier to tote around and didn't scratch as easy. I hoped they were gonna catch on, but it was like the Beta Max. It just wasn't meant to be I guess.

PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 4:08 pm 
AnalLog

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
doone wrote:
I'm surprised no one has said this yet but my gateway song to not only Pearl Jam, but Soundgarden, was Hunger Strike. As soon as I identified the players, I bought the all 3 cassettes through Columbia House Record Club.

I believe I just dated myself. :oops:

I used Columbia house and bmg for a ton of my cds back in the day

Totally. That's when I started my alias collections and would'nt buy out the rest of my subscription ;)

PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 5:26 pm 
Poster of the Year

darth_vedder wrote:
turned2black wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

I liked the mini disc. I used to work at Circuit City back in the day, and I was a big fan. I liked how they were, well, mini. Much easier to tote around and didn't scratch as easy. I hoped they were gonna catch on, but it was like the Beta Max. It just wasn't meant to be I guess.

They weren't like beta max at all. Beta was higher quality than its competition and mini disc was lower.

PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 5:42 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

cutuphalfdead wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
turned2black wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

They weren't like beta max at all. Beta was higher quality than its competition and mini disc was lower.

Well excuse me Mr. Smarty Pants!

PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 6:33 pm 
AnalLog

My first taste was I Am Mine and i had a bad trip. Didn't enjoyed.
Then I tasted Black and was addicted.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam