The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Interview:Mike McCready Talks Pearl Jam’s Future, Mad Se
PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 2:21 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

evenslow wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
They took an odd turn that gave us Binaural and Riot Act, and I wouldn't mind them exploring down that path again.

Well then it wouldn't be an "odd turn" any more would it? Going by your odd turn idea, Backspacer is the closest to achieving that theory. It was certainly something they hadn't committed to doing before.

Oh yes, you have hit the nail on the head. People are going, "but I want them to do odd things ... like XYZ from Binaural or Riot Act or No Code". Isn't that the exact opposite of taking a left turn? THAT would be the conservative route, would it not? To instead go in a direction like Backspacer, which had never been done in a full album format, THIS is a left turn, peeps.

It's virtually the same reaction as was in 96-00, when the Ten fans were going, "but I want them to sound like Ten". Just a reverse mirror image where fans are pining for an era that has passed. Only difference is it's just a different section of fans pining for a different era.

Last edited by Tuolumne on Fri October 02, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 2:30 pm 
The Master

Again, most of us don't care which direction they go in. I am all for PJ making a fun, poppy album. They can make whatever "kind" of music they want.

I just want it to be good.

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 2:31 pm 
Stone's Bitch

I'm not saying Backspacer is a work of art, just that it was technically an odd turn. Lightning Bolt was much more "paint by numbers" Pearl Jam.

Regardless, I just want well thought out songs with interesting textures that demand a revisit once in a while. Whichever way they "turn" to get there is fine by me.

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 6:58 pm 

I honestly believe the band aka eddie just wants to make albums/songs that will chart, its basically a moneygrab at this point. So those of you expecting the next album to be experimental with long jams/instrumentals will be disappointed. Lightning Bolt was a " logical extension of Backspacer" and the album 11 will be a logical extension of Lightning Bolt, not to say those albums werent good, because they both had some great songs but they also had some very lame songs. IMO The one thing that gives me hope for album 11 is that from Binaural to Backspacer each album got progressively worse, that trend broke for me as I think LB was a major step up from BS... For the next album they should give Jeff and Stone complete control of the music(no singing tho), obviously Eddie should write all the lyrics, and if they do have BOB produce dont let him gut all the songs, let them kick out the jams for gods sake.
Other producers that could work:
David Fridmann
Daniel Lanois
Andy Wallace ( :mrgreen: )
hell even T Bone Burnett

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 7:08 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Tuolumne wrote:
evenslow wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
They took an odd turn that gave us Binaural and Riot Act, and I wouldn't mind them exploring down that path again.

Well then it wouldn't be an "odd turn" any more would it? Going by your odd turn idea, Backspacer is the closest to achieving that theory. It was certainly something they hadn't committed to doing before.

Oh yes, you have hit the nail on the head. People are going, "but I want them to do odd things ... like XYZ from Binaural or Riot Act or No Code". Isn't that the exact opposite of taking a left turn? THAT would be the conservative route, would it not? To instead go in a direction like Backspacer, which had never been done in a full album format, THIS is a left turn, peeps.

It's virtually the same reaction as was in 96-00, when the Ten fans were going, "but I want them to sound like Ten". Just a reverse mirror image where fans are pining for an era that has passed. Only difference is it's just a different section of fans pining for a different era.

I meant more like build upon the direction they went in Binaural / RA. So, I don't want them to be conservative at all. I want them to go back on the odd path they were on, and stay that way for an album or two. The jam in Of The Earth touches on that path I like, the jam during Army Reserve does the same. Pendulum a bit too. I want more of that PJ please.

Oh, and in the OP, I forgot to mention Help Help. I fucking LOVE Help Help.

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 8:08 pm 

What I want from them next album: whatever the fuck they want.

Meaning, I'll judge the album by how well they execute whatever artistic vision they have, and how illustrative and complete that artistic vision is. If it's a banjo album of Mr. Rodgers covers, I want to it be w/ good execution. I'll judge it poorly if they can't hit the sentiments of "Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" in their own unique way.

I don't know what's going on in their lives, so I think it's ludicrous to say "I wish they'd do some extended reverb synth jam with a trip-hop bridge and an outro w/ a flute solo w/ lyrics about the Mexican border situation". Before anyone gets offended, I'm not talking about you (but, you, the other guy).They're gonna write what they feel, that's all I hope for. If they're co-coaching their girls' gymnastic classes, the songs could be about the joys of watching someone improve at the uneven parallel bars. Who knows?

I just hope they're feelin it, whatever it is that comes out of them. That's all.

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 8:20 pm 
The Master

Tuolumne wrote:
What I want from them next album: whatever the fuck they want.

Meaning, I'll judge the album by how well they execute whatever artistic vision they have, and how illustrative and complete that artistic vision is. If it's a banjo album of Mr. Rodgers covers, I want to it be w/ good execution. I'll judge it poorly if they can't hit the sentiments of "Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" in their own unique way.

I don't know what's going on in their lives, so I think it's ludicrous to say "I wish they'd do some extended reverb synth jam with a trip-hop bridge and an outro w/ a flute solo w/ lyrics about the Mexican border situation". Before anyone gets offended, I'm not talking about you (but, you, the other guy).They're gonna write what they feel, that's all I hope for. If they're co-coaching their girls' gymnastic classes, the songs could be about the joys of watching someone improve at the uneven parallel bars. Who knows?

I just hope they're feelin it, whatever it is that comes out of them. That's all.

This is pretty much a long-winded version of what I just said.

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 10:01 pm 
Rank This Poster

Ehhh, fuck that. I don't want some pussy ass bullshit on the next album. Rock, get a little weird, and rock some more. That's the best Pearl Jam, everybody knows it. Everybody fuckin' knows it.

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 10:10 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

:bammer: :bammer: :bammer: :bammer: :bammer: :bammer: :bammer: :bammer: :bammer: :bammer: :bammer:

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 11:23 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Less guitars, more piano please.

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 11:54 pm 
AnalLog

I want the five of them in a room banging out songs. For five hours a day five days a week together. As far as producers go it shouldn't matter at this point in their careers.
I dont need a heavy record or a arty record or mellow record or a poppy record or a experimental record. I need a new Pearl Jam record and Pearl Jam records use to be all of the above and then some.

PostPosted: Sat October 03, 2015 2:33 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Tj wrote:
I want the five of them in a room banging. For five hours a day five days a week together.

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sat October 03, 2015 2:34 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

evenslow wrote:
pappas wrote:
the best thing PJ can do for their next album is let Stone & Jeff have 100% control over the creative direction and music. Eddie can contribute 0% music and only lyrics to songs

mike can contribute to the music

also matt can play the drums.

no, it should be Dave A; and the singer of Dave A's choice, as restitution from PJ for Ed manopausing him out of the band all those years ago; and the band will celebrate this new arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk, and with an all ticketmaster tour where they drive Ferraris from venue to venue

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sat October 03, 2015 3:55 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Tuolumne wrote:
it's ludicrous to say "I wish they'd do some extended reverb synth jam with a trip-hop bridge and an outro w/ a flute solo w/ lyrics about the Mexican border situation".

You're right, it is ludicrous to say this.

PostPosted: Sat October 03, 2015 4:06 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I just want more music from them. And i agree, BS as a bold move from them. LG was maybe the first album were they dont experiment that much.

PostPosted: Sat October 03, 2015 4:49 pm 
The worst

I would like the next album to exist, and sooner rather than later. And we'll go from there

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat October 03, 2015 7:37 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

stip wrote:
I would like the next album to exist, and sooner rather than later. And we'll go from there

PM BurtReynolds for the link.

PostPosted: Sun October 04, 2015 1:08 pm 
Major Dude

I just want the next album to have Of The Earth and Anything In Between on it.

PostPosted: Sun October 04, 2015 1:49 pm 

wease wrote:
I just want the next album to have Of The Earth and Anything In Between on it.

This...Anything in Between is the tits...possibly my favorite mike solo

PostPosted: Sun October 04, 2015 3:13 pm 
Future Drummer

Tuolumne wrote:

The main difference this time is not that their style has changed, but that the quality of their songwriting has taken a nose-dive, as with most bands who are in the "I don't care anymore, this is just a job" phase of their career. They have nothing left to be passionate about, as they would probably rather be lounging on an island in Fiji. The fact that they openly talk about not wanting to put any real effort into anything anymore pretty much confirms this. It's not that hard to see.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam