The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What is Each Album's Major Flaw?: Yield
PostPosted: Mon June 09, 2014 10:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 29102
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
It's hooning awesome.

_________________
dev wrote:
Love pans out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What is Each Album's Major Flaw?: Yield
PostPosted: Tue June 10, 2014 2:44 pm 
Offline
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 31, 2013 7:26 pm
Posts: 241
There's something about Pilate after Wishlist, I don't know why. I much prefer Wishlist, but there's something chilling about the start of Pilate when you're listening to the album. I guess the versus are more emotional than the chorus's, which helps. It's the same with the start of NAIS after Light Years. Long live the album.

_________________
GET LONDON OUT OF THE UK. WE ARE NOT BRITISH, MIDDLE ENGLAND DOES NOT SPEAK FOR US.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What is Each Album's Major Flaw?: Yield
PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 9:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2117
Red Dot is not replaced by Untitled


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What is Each Album's Major Flaw?: Yield
PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 9:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 46920
Location: Sector 7-G
oh shut the fuck up


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What is Each Album's Major Flaw?: Yield
PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 9:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2117
stip wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Faithful is the most underrated song in their entire catalogue

I think everyone whose name isn't Stip or PryTo loves it.


:wave: I got another one for ya


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What is Each Album's Major Flaw?: Yield
PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 9:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2117
cutuphalfdead wrote:
oh shut the fuck up


Red Dot is pretty useless. MFC is twice as good live because of how good it goes with Untitled


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What is Each Album's Major Flaw?: Yield
PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 9:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 31473
Location: this field intentionally left blank
He's right

_________________
BurtReynolds wrote:
If earth were a sphere, it would be impossible for any of us to stay grounded.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What is Each Album's Major Flaw?: Yield
PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 10:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 9:37 am
Posts: 1940
I love those little filler songs simply because they piss off the Jamtards.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What is Each Album's Major Flaw?: Yield
PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 11:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849
Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
I love those little filler songs simply because they piss off the Jamtards.

Red Dot is one of the best things the "band" (jack, really) has ever done.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What is Each Album's Major Flaw?: Yield
PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 11:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 46920
Location: Sector 7-G
Red Dot is awesome and Yield would be poorer without it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What is Each Album's Major Flaw?: Yield
PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 11:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 31473
Location: this field intentionally left blank
tragabigzanda wrote:
Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
I love those little filler songs simply because they piss off the Jamtards.

Red Dot is one of the best things the "band" (jack, really) has ever done.

This is a far dumber PJ opinion than anything stip or mjd has ever said

_________________
BurtReynolds wrote:
If earth were a sphere, it would be impossible for any of us to stay grounded.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What is Each Album's Major Flaw?: Yield
PostPosted: Thu August 17, 2017 4:46 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
I love those little filler songs simply because they piss off the Jamtards.

Red Dot is one of the best things the "band" (jack, really) has ever done.

This is a far dumber PJ opinion than anything stip or mjd has ever said

(I should have said "my favorite" rather than "the best")

It's got a real K Records vibe. It reminds me of The Microphones, Karl Blau, Mirah, all this oddball Olympia, WA indie stuff. It also sounds like Max Roach, Peter Gabriel, Paul Simon, Captain Beefheart, Neu!, and all sorts of Aussie stuff. I hear a billion influences in its short run time. It's, fun, playful, silly, sad, and unique...

I don't really view it as a "Pearl Jam" song. I've put it on playlists of all sorts of similar wierdo instrumental/drum-based stuff, and it always fits.

Something about it resonates with me very deeply. I don't expect it to have the same impact on others, because it fits me aural fancy just perfectly.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What is Each Album's Major Flaw?: Yield
PostPosted: Thu August 17, 2017 11:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 29546
I can't stand red dot. Probably the most unnecessary pearl jam 'song' to boot

_________________
*Led Zeppelin Mega Tournament: Click here*


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What is Each Album's Major Flaw?: Yield
PostPosted: Thu August 17, 2017 4:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 46920
Location: Sector 7-G
god i hate you


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What is Each Album's Major Flaw?: Yield
PostPosted: Thu August 17, 2017 6:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2117
stip wrote:
I can't stand red dot. Probably the most unnecessary pearl jam 'song' to boot


love you stip

CAN WE AGREE UNTITLED IS A GREAT INTRO TO MFC?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What is Each Album's Major Flaw?: Yield
PostPosted: Thu August 17, 2017 6:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 27422
Location: don't PM me I don't have anything
Tom Waits loves Red Dot

Quote:
MELODY MAKER: Have you been keeping up with what's new?

WAITS: As a father, you don't have much of a choice. It's interesting how you used to seek out music in used record bins, now music just finds you. Seeks you out. And you may fight it kicking and screaming but it always ends up taking over your house and robbing you of precious hours of sleep.

MELODY MAKER: I take it you're not happy with the current scene?

WAITS: There's all sorts of very talented, very clean people making music right now, and getting paid a lot for it. Actually what I've been interested in the most in the last few years has been hip hop music. You know, these are the folk and protest singers of this age. My son-- he's exactly at the right age now to be into rock and roll music, but not Bill Hayley and the Comets. He listens to music that seems to be designed to make parents angry or concerned.

MELODY MAKER: Are you concerned?

WAITS: I'm concerned for all these angry young men. They're going to get an ulcer or something. But, honestly, I love Pearl Jam-- you know them, right? Who doesn't? I bet you could do a census in Timbuktu and you'll find at least a thousand people who own Pearl Jam records.

MELODY MAKER: They're back with a vengeance.

WAITS: Where are they back from?

MELODY MAKER: Their last album didn't do very well.

WAITS: Well, people make all sorts of assumptions. They're always in a hurry to say you're back. People keep asking me where I've been the past six years. Well, I was stuck in traffic school. They wouldn't let me graduate. Hand-eye coordination problems have haunted me since I was a child.

MELODY MAKER: So you like "Yield" (Pearl Jam's new album)?

WAITS: I do. I like the drummer. He reminds me of a demented Shelly Manne. The songs are good, too. There's a song in there that's just 40 seconds of steel drum and some strange chanting. Right up my alley. Sometimes you get the most propulsive and stimulating and invigorating music from these small outbursts of craziness. You know, I went to see an orchestra play Schubert, and I wanted to leave after they were done tuning up. It was going to be hard to top that.

_________________
tragabigzanda wrote:
Stop it, this is pissing me off.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What is Each Album's Major Flaw?: Yield
PostPosted: Thu August 17, 2017 6:55 pm 
Online
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 31449
Location: Mountains
theplatypus wrote:
Tom Waits loves Red Dot

Quote:
MELODY MAKER: Have you been keeping up with what's new?

WAITS: As a father, you don't have much of a choice. It's interesting how you used to seek out music in used record bins, now music just finds you. Seeks you out. And you may fight it kicking and screaming but it always ends up taking over your house and robbing you of precious hours of sleep.

MELODY MAKER: I take it you're not happy with the current scene?

WAITS: There's all sorts of very talented, very clean people making music right now, and getting paid a lot for it. Actually what I've been interested in the most in the last few years has been hip hop music. You know, these are the folk and protest singers of this age. My son-- he's exactly at the right age now to be into rock and roll music, but not Bill Hayley and the Comets. He listens to music that seems to be designed to make parents angry or concerned.

MELODY MAKER: Are you concerned?

WAITS: I'm concerned for all these angry young men. They're going to get an ulcer or something. But, honestly, I love Pearl Jam-- you know them, right? Who doesn't? I bet you could do a census in Timbuktu and you'll find at least a thousand people who own Pearl Jam records.

MELODY MAKER: They're back with a vengeance.

WAITS: Where are they back from?

MELODY MAKER: Their last album didn't do very well.

WAITS: Well, people make all sorts of assumptions. They're always in a hurry to say you're back. People keep asking me where I've been the past six years. Well, I was stuck in traffic school. They wouldn't let me graduate. Hand-eye coordination problems have haunted me since I was a child.

MELODY MAKER: So you like "Yield" (Pearl Jam's new album)?

WAITS: I do. I like the drummer. He reminds me of a demented Shelly Manne. The songs are good, too. There's a song in there that's just 40 seconds of steel drum and some strange chanting. Right up my alley. Sometimes you get the most propulsive and stimulating and invigorating music from these small outbursts of craziness. You know, I went to see an orchestra play Schubert, and I wanted to leave after they were done tuning up. It was going to be hard to top that.



never saw this. This is so great and makes me so horny.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What is Each Album's Major Flaw?: Yield
PostPosted: Thu August 17, 2017 6:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 46920
Location: Sector 7-G
I remember that interview.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What is Each Album's Major Flaw?: Yield
PostPosted: Thu August 17, 2017 7:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849
Guys do you think I'm as cool as Tom Waits now?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What is Each Album's Major Flaw?: Yield
PostPosted: Thu August 17, 2017 7:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 12112
Ohhh the good old Tom. PJ needs a visit from him.

People hate Red Dot? weird.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sat December 16, 2017 8:43 pm