Switch to full style
General Pearl Jam discussion.
Post a reply

Re: What is Each Album's Major Flaw?: Yield

Fri June 06, 2014 5:31 pm

Only in the sense of quiet verse / LOUD CHORUS / quiet verse / LOUD CHORUS / quiet verse / LOUD CHORUS which was basically the hallmark of every memorable "grunge" song of the period unless you completely detest Nirvana for it.

Fri June 06, 2014 5:36 pm

stip wrote:it was the first song I heard off of Yield and my first thought was 'oh god, eddie lost his voice'. I was so relieved when I heard other songs.

stip wrote:Image

okay, that does look kinda cool

Fri June 06, 2014 5:37 pm

That's the formula. And it can work fine. But there should be a reason for the switch. What meaningful point is the chorus making? And was it compelling enough in its execution to justify destroying the reflective space the verses created. I can probably come up with a reason, but the execution is clumsy and does the song a disservice

Fri June 06, 2014 5:40 pm

stip wrote:But there should be a reason for the switch. What meaningful point is the chorus making?

That he has a dog. Dogs are fucking awesome. If you have one you should be pretty fucking psyched. I actually think the chorus should be even louder.

WHY DO YOU HATE DOGS, STIP?

Fri June 06, 2014 5:41 pm

stip has issues

Fri June 06, 2014 5:41 pm

I just like my dogs to be quiet

Fri June 06, 2014 5:48 pm

stip wrote:That's the formula. And it can work fine. But there should be a reason for the switch. What meaningful point is the chorus making? And was it compelling enough in its execution to justify destroying the reflective space the verses created. I can probably come up with a reason, but the execution is clumsy and does the song a disservice

Well, I can't really dispute this cause I disagree with the idea that it destroys the reflective space the verses create. Sure, in the moment it gets louder but it's not like getting louder discounts what came before.

Fri June 06, 2014 5:49 pm

Why can you write a reply, without being logged in, a reply which you then LOSE *after* being asked to login? That's ridiculous.

Anyway, so that's what happened. I actually do think the loud chorus suits the song, semantically. Leaving aside the fact that I think it's a bit much to ask for "meaningful points" in the instrumental parts of rock songs, the verses of Pilate are quite insular and self-refective, while the chorus bursts in with a highly metaphorical, bizarre, funny yet also serious political point about apathy, power and obedience. Probably.

Fri June 06, 2014 5:50 pm

stip wrote:I just like my dogs to be quiet

Fri June 06, 2014 5:52 pm

So Pearl Jam. Much Yield. WOW.

Fri June 06, 2014 5:54 pm

That dog's favorite song is Pilate. And all stip wants to do is complain about it. Why does that dog's joy threaten you, stip?

Fri June 06, 2014 5:57 pm

That dog pulls The Snowboy's sleigh as a day job.

Fri June 06, 2014 6:02 pm

Lament wrote:That dog's favorite song is Pilate. And all stip wants to do is complain about it. Why does that dog's joy threaten you, stip?

only things with two legs deserve to be happy

Fri June 06, 2014 6:04 pm

stip wrote:
Lament wrote:That dog's favorite song is Pilate. And all stip wants to do is complain about it. Why does that dog's joy threaten you, stip?

only things with two legs deserve to be happy

poor Harmless

Fri June 06, 2014 6:05 pm

They don't have to work

Anyone else prefer Pilate to MFC?

Fri June 06, 2014 6:08 pm