The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is Each Album's Major Flaw?: No Code
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:12 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
Its biggest flaw is probably that stupid moss line in "Who You Are".

No, yeah, forget everything I said before. This is right.

I like your underwater description earlier.

And I don't know that I'd go so far as to defend that lyric, but it does send a signal that the song is meant to be playful stab at faux mysticism. Without that line the song invites you to take it more seriously, which plays against its strengths

I think the inclusion of the words "soul" and "moss" do a much better job of cementing the song's playfulness.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:25 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

McParadigm wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
I like I'm Open.

It's good. Not the best writing, but not the worst, and it's got a magnificent backdrop. It's got maybe just a tiny bit of that quality Tomorrow Never Knows has, where the lyrics are corny but are mostly just there to serve the mood of the song, so who cares.

And if I'm being totally honest, 15 year old dct was bound to those lines about the moon overhead and trading magic for fact. That shit meant everything for a little while.

Last edited by epilogue on Tue May 27, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:26 pm 
Rank This Poster

each morning that i open a thread in the pearl jam forum, i am born anew in stip's awfulness. it's nearly miraculous.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:18 pm 
Rank This Poster

stip wrote:
digster wrote:
I never really heard No Code as being a 'wisdom' record, where Ed imparts to the people what he's learned. Even on stuff like Present Tense or I'm Open, I don't think there's any indication that he is confident about his stances. An album being a catalog of truths learned makes more sense with Yield than with No Code. The latter is sputtering all over the place, trying to make sense of the shitstorm that occurred during Vitalogy. It's what makes it such a compelling listen.

I certainly agree there is more of that on yield. But I think it begins with no code. Songs like who you are and especially present tense come to mind

It's there, but I don't know if it's coming from a place of actual knowledge, vs. grasping at the hope of it. Basically, what you've said in the past about Yield (that it's a record with a 'lie' at its center), actually pertains much better to No Code, imo.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:21 pm 
Rank This Poster

stip wrote:
And I've always thought that the 'there's No Code!' excuse for the disorganization of the record is a dodge, especially because, ultimately, No Code is meant to be useful to the listener--let me map my journey so you can more easily undertake yours. It is not a self contained snap shot of a particularly messy moment in time that exists only to document that moment.

I'm not sure there's a PJ album that does this more than No Code, at least to my ears.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:49 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

digster wrote:
stip wrote:
digster wrote:
I never really heard No Code as being a 'wisdom' record, where Ed imparts to the people what he's learned. Even on stuff like Present Tense or I'm Open, I don't think there's any indication that he is confident about his stances. An album being a catalog of truths learned makes more sense with Yield than with No Code. The latter is sputtering all over the place, trying to make sense of the shitstorm that occurred during Vitalogy. It's what makes it such a compelling listen.

I certainly agree there is more of that on yield. But I think it begins with no code. Songs like who you are and especially present tense come to mind

It's there, but I don't know if it's coming from a place of actual knowledge, vs. grasping at the hope of it. Basically, what you've said in the past about Yield (that it's a record with a 'lie' at its center), actually pertains much better to No Code, imo.

These are records meant to capture a journey. It makes sense for them to have a lot of focusing points, questions, and conclusions.

Frankly, I'm not sure there are many people who CAN capture the last aspect well....Neil Young is generally terrible at it, Tom Waits usually has to bury it inside a character, narrative, or faux-spiritual gospelization, John Lennon never managed not to sound like a dickhole when trying it, and the more it has engulfed Springsteen's writing the more it has turned his humanist and empathic stories into a series of bad caricatures.

The other side to that is, if you write to capture the journey but never try to draw any consequential conclusions, then the journey has no sense of having mattered and ultimately seems to have been a fruitless endeavor. As odd as Cat Stevens' story is, if he'd made those first five or six records and then (shrug) just kept on making music and being a star for another 40 years without a backwards glance, it would have affected the authenticity of the search those recordings were documenting.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:57 pm 
Rank This Poster

McParadigm wrote:
digster wrote:
stip wrote:
digster wrote:

These are records meant to capture a journey. It makes sense for them to have a lot of focusing points, questions, and conclusions.

Frankly, I'm not sure there are many people who CAN capture the last aspect well....Neil Young is generally terrible at it, Tom Waits usually has to bury it inside a character, narrative, or faux-spiritual gospelization, John Lennon never managed not to sound like a dickhole when trying it, and the more it has engulfed Springsteen's writing the more it has turned his humanist and empathic stories into a series of bad caricatures.

The other side to that is, if you write to capture the journey but never try to draw any consequential conclusions, then the journey has no sense of having mattered and ultimately seems to have been a fruitless endeavor. As odd as Cat Stevens' story is, if he'd made those first five or six records and then (shrug) just kept on making music and being a star for another 40 years without a backwards glance, it would have affected the authenticity of the search those recordings were documenting.

this actually helps me understand the mcparadigm account--it's just a lost soul searching for meaning

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:59 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Applying and projecting meaning onto things, where none exist, and then being upset and downplaying the quality of the song involved, is a long running funk RMers of a certain ilk have been befuddled with for a long time.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:03 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
Applying and projecting meaning onto things, where none exist, and then being upset and downplaying the quality of the song involved, is a long running funk RMers of a certain ilk have been befuddled with for a long time.

Dime, you'll never top this post.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:04 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Alex wrote:
this actually helps me understand the mcparadigm account--it's just a lost soul searching for meaning

Q: Vich pants does Olga vare ven she is sad?
A: Despair!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:06 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

dimejinky99 wrote:
Applying and projecting meaning onto things, where none exist

Who would have figured dime to be the guy with the most pessimistic perspective on the Pearl Jam catalog?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:07 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

I dunno. My bets work is ahead of me apparently (i mean, it can only get better right?)

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:08 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

dimejinky99 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

I dunno. My bets work is ahead of me apparently (i mean, it can only get better right?)

Sometimes I think you're a second account

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:08 pm 

bets.

see?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:14 pm 
The worst

durdencommatyler wrote:
stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
Its biggest flaw is probably that stupid moss line in "Who You Are".

No, yeah, forget everything I said before. This is right.

I like your underwater description earlier.

And I don't know that I'd go so far as to defend that lyric, but it does send a signal that the song is meant to be playful stab at faux mysticism. Without that line the song invites you to take it more seriously, which plays against its strengths

I think the inclusion of the words "soul" and "moss" do a much better job of cementing the song's playfulness.

we're agreeing here, right?

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:15 pm 
The worst

digster wrote:
stip wrote:
digster wrote:

I need to shunt all my album thoughts back one record. I wonder if the shit I've said about Ten works for MLB

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:17 pm 

McParadigm wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Sometimes I think you're a second account

No. Been on RM since 06 i think?
No time for a second account, bipolar enough without encouraging it to manifest in another guise...

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:17 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I can't wait for season three of dimejinky99.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:20 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

durdencommatyler wrote:

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:21 pm 

McParadigm wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Any episode of Father ted, that Graham Norton is in...pure genius.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam