Thu May 22, 2014 6:41 pm

cordaroy

Re: What is Each Album's Major Flaw?: Vitalogy

Fri May 23, 2014 1:41 am

Strat wrote:cordaroy

CordaImage?

Fri May 23, 2014 2:39 am

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that last exit isn't really that impressive of a song

and now I'll do a transcribed acapella re-enactment
waaah waaaahh waaahh wahhh
waaah waaahhh wahh wahhh
waaaahhh waahhh wahh wahh
wahhh wahhh wahhh wahhh
flapsodeven care
lookmywatcbinglare
no time to question
why nothing blaaaa
claspandhold on
tiredandfaast
sooonbeeoooover
andiwillbeblaaaaaaa aaaa
lendme
sunclimbah
vertwaymybass
fourdaysaletterlonguuuh
spreadlykindlyglaaaaah

actually maybe it is a pretty great song

Fri May 23, 2014 1:41 pm

96583UP wrote:actually maybe it is a pretty great song

How you get there is less important than getting there. Glad you got there, we all have our own methods.

Fri May 23, 2014 2:43 pm

I love last exit...i might forget about that song, but everytime they play it...yeah, is that good.

Mon May 26, 2014 12:51 am

McParadigm wrote:You guys are garbage who deserve all the Lightning Bolt you can eat, and Nothingman is the low point.

By far!

Mon May 26, 2014 1:14 am

Is a new album topic coming or are we gonna keep trying to forever force complaints out of an album we all like? Ffs.

Mon May 26, 2014 12:34 pm

sorry, I was away this weekend.

Tue May 27, 2014 3:38 pm

hlniv wrote:
96583UP wrote:actually maybe it is a pretty great song

How you get there is less important than getting there. Glad you got there, we all have our own methods.

classic 96583UP/hlniv banter

Mon June 02, 2014 1:05 am

stip wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:Brendan O'Brien would never allow it. And this time the band would yield to him.

Then we would owe him thanks for that and betterman

Do you have any idea how popular better man would be around here if it were a rarity?

Sun January 25, 2015 10:04 pm

Been having fun retracking PJ albums lately. Vitalogy becomes one hell of a tight album if the experimental filler is removed:

1. Last Exit
2. Spin the Black Circle
3. Not for You
4. Tremor Christ
5. Nothingman
6. Whipping
7. Corduroy
8. Satan's Bed
9. Better Man
10. Immortality

I think the other tracks are necessary as part of the album's aesthetic statement, but for the practical purposes of regular, repeated listens, this works much better for me. I acknowledge the existence and relevance of the other songs, but I don't need to listen to them regularly.

"Better Man" and "Immortality" work surprisingly well as a closing 1-2 punch.

Sun January 25, 2015 10:32 pm

You shouldn't remove any of Pry To, Bugs, Aye Davanita, and Stupid Mop. But it irks me to no end how people lump Aye Davanita in with the other 3.

Sun January 25, 2015 10:36 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:You shouldn't remove any of Pry To, Bugs, Aye Davanita, and Stupid Mop. But it irks me to no end how people lump Aye Davanita in with the other 3.

I think AD is more of a "song" than the other three, but still not enough to push it beyond the experimental filler category.

Sun January 25, 2015 10:37 pm

Why does experimental and filler have to go hand in hand? Aye Davanita is worth listening to on its own.

Sun January 25, 2015 10:39 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:Why does experimental and filler have to go hand in hand? Aye Davanita is worth listening to on its own.

I don't dislike it, but it's just a jam with two words repeated over and over.

Sun January 25, 2015 10:43 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:Why does experimental and filler have to go hand in hand? Aye Davanita is worth listening to on its own.

I take exception to the term "just". As if a song needs to meet a certain standard of structure, or a certain sophistication of lyrics, in order to be a "real" song.

Sun January 25, 2015 10:45 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

I take exception to the term "just". As if a song needs to meet a certain standard of structure, or a certain sophistication of lyrics, in order to be a "real" song.

calm down chud

Sun January 25, 2015 10:50 pm

I'm not saying a song needs to meet any qualifications to be a real song; saying it wasn't a "song" was an unfortunate way of wording what I meant. What I meant was that it's an experimental, atmospheric piece that is necessary for Vitalogy's aesthetic statement, but, in my opinion, not a particularly memorable or remarkable piece of music that stacks up against "Tremor Christ" or "Last Exit" or "Better Man". It's fine, it's listenable, it's mildly enjoyable, but the album plays better without it for the sake of replayability.

Sun January 25, 2015 10:57 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:You shouldn't remove Bugs.

fixed

Sun January 25, 2015 11:03 pm

Out of the "experimental" tracks I think only Stupid Mop actually harms the album (though I might make an argument that Bugs does too if I'm in the right mood) but if I had to keep only one of them it would definitely be Pry, To. It's a great lead-in to Corduroy.
Post a reply