Switch to full style
General Pearl Jam discussion.
Post a reply

Re: How did Last Kiss become so popular?

Mon June 08, 2015 5:22 pm

I remember '98-'99 really being the first time I felt compelled to look beyond modern rock radio to find music that spoke to me.

I think this is more of a personal maturation event than a result of any music that's being played on a given year. I felt the same way in 1993, and there's no way it was because '92-93 was worse than what came before that.

Radio is a distillation process, by which the easiest consumables rise to the top. If you love music, you eventually hit a point where it's just not going to give you what you want, because it's never really all that great.

Mon June 08, 2015 5:24 pm

You're right, but with that said, the late 90s/early aughts were truly awful.

Mon June 08, 2015 5:25 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:You're right, but with that said, the late 90s/early aughts were truly awful.

i'm not so sure about that

Mon June 08, 2015 6:51 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:You're right, but with that said, the late 90s/early aughts were truly awful.

No, he's right.

Mon June 08, 2015 6:56 pm

stip wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

No, he's right.

On par with the big hair era of the 80's.

Mon June 08, 2015 6:57 pm

For the record, I love "Steal My Sunshine" and "Take a Picture". "Rock Superstar" is good too.

Mon June 08, 2015 7:02 pm

"Steal My Sunshine" is a sweet song. I don't condone this trashing of Len's glorious paean to teenage abandon.

Mon June 08, 2015 7:04 pm

On the other hand,

Mon June 08, 2015 7:10 pm

I hated "Steal My Sunshine" so much. That guy's voice is so obnoxious.

Mon June 08, 2015 7:30 pm

I have a soft spot for all that was 98-00 alt/pop rock.

Mon June 08, 2015 7:38 pm

Kaius wrote:I have a soft spot for all that was 98-00 alt/pop rock.

As do I.

Mon June 08, 2015 7:42 pm

You guys are forgetting things like Limp Bizkit, Korn, POD, etc, etc, etc.

Mon June 08, 2015 7:45 pm

But also things like the emergence of the White Stripes, Strokes, etc ... there was a balance. Unless we're talking about big radio stations

Mon June 08, 2015 7:46 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:You guys are forgetting things like Limp Bizkit, Korn, POD, etc, etc, etc.

Korn made shitloads of catchy-as-fuck songs in their prime.

This whole topic brings up something I've been thinking about lately: What happened to heavy rock music? Where did it go? God I miss it. Obviously, it was everywhere in the '90s, and even though it morphed into post-grunge and nu-metal of questionable quality in the early '00s, at least it still existed and could get attention. There was a market for it.

Now it seems like it has just disappeared. Yes, we have lots of nostalgic reunions and some of the old giants are carrying the torch, but where are the new groups? Where are the modern Helmets? Deftones? Rob Zombies? Rage Against the Machines? Downers? We've got plenty of metal and hardcore and plenty of indie and pop, but there seems to be no in-between anymore. I'm starving for some new artists.

Mon June 08, 2015 7:50 pm

I thought the conversation was exclusively about big radio stations. Plus the Strokes, Stripes, etc. didn't really come to prominence until 2001.

That tattooed, dreadlocked aggro-sludge from the late '90's really is about as bad as popular music ever got.

Mon June 08, 2015 7:51 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:You guys are forgetting things like Limp Bizkit, Korn, POD, etc, etc, etc.

Nope.

Mon June 08, 2015 7:56 pm

Late 90's was terrible. So Terrible. You went from stuff like Liz Phair, Pavement, Blur, Meat Puppets, Primus, Dinasour JR, and Cracker dominating the ariwaves to

Limp Bizkit
Kid Rock
Korn

Terrible.

Mon June 08, 2015 7:56 pm

I tried very hard to forget those.

Mon June 08, 2015 7:59 pm

BREAK STUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUFFFFFFFFFFF!

BAWTIADBAUPDEBANGDEBANGBAPTUSTODUOAPODP

Mon June 08, 2015 8:01 pm

The harder edge of mainstream rock music in the late 90s turned into this awful caricature of misogynistic, homophobic, bro culture. It really is no wonder there was a staggering amount of sexual assaults at Woodstock 99.
Post a reply