The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Singles Soundtrack Reissue - May 29, 2017
PostPosted: Fri February 10, 2017 9:12 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

that's completely insane

plus, you won't get them until ~October. fuck the 10c. if people stop ordering from them, maybe they'll figure out why

PostPosted: Fri February 10, 2017 9:41 pm 
Future Drummer

Exactly

PostPosted: Fri February 10, 2017 10:40 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I'd pay $50 for my membership if I got free shipping from the Ten Club.

PostPosted: Fri February 10, 2017 10:57 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

that cuts into Tim B's daily burrito casserole fund

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:49 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Man, crazy to hear how fully realized Cornell's "Flutter Girl" was at this time considering it didn't get released until way later. Sounds good.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:54 am 
known prankster

bodysnatcher wrote:
Man, crazy to hear how fully realized Cornell's "Flutter Girl" was at this time considering it didn't get released until way later. Sounds good.

Is it the same as the B-Side to Can't Change Me? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lETFYxxFPLA

Spotify has annoyingly blocked all of the Cornell songs from the Singles soundtrack

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:47 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

lecherouslittlestump wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Is it the same as the B-Side to Can't Change Me? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lETFYxxFPLA

Spotify has annoyingly blocked all of the Cornell songs from the Singles soundtrack

Well shit I guess it is. I didn't know that existed before, just read about it.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:56 pm 
Stone's Bitch

bodysnatcher wrote:

They should really start doing Bierman Prime wherein we pay $100 per year to get free 2-day shipping and he gets unlimited Chipotle. Everyone wins.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:00 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

bodysnatcher wrote:

I didn't know the story of the Poncier Tape. It's crazy to think that so much good shit came out of Cornell writing songs for no other reason than to match joke titles made up by Jeff.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:03 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

evenslow wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

They should really start doing Bierman Prime wherein we pay $100 per year to get free 2-day shipping and he gets unlimited Chipotle. Everyone wins.

What would justify $100? Unlimited, on demand streaming of all the catalog and boots via app?

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:18 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

B wrote:
evenslow wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

What would justify $100? Unlimited, on demand streaming of all the catalog and boots via app?

At least. But we'd just end up getting access to some stickers and PJ spiral notebooks.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:14 pm 
Future Drummer

B wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

I didn't know the story of the Poncier Tape. It's crazy to think that so much good shit came out of Cornell writing songs for no other reason than to match joke titles made up by Jeff.

what's this now? Poncier tape story?

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:29 pm 
Major Dude

doone wrote:
B wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

what's this now? Poncier tape story?

I've never heard this either.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:57 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Quote:
One of the best bits of Singles lore I've heard is the story of the Poncier tape that Jeff Ament designed – which is coming out in full on this new edition of the soundtrack – and how all these actual songs were birthed out of it.
It's kind of amazing. The idea was that Matt Dillon's character, Cliff Poncier, in the course of the movie, he loses his band, and he loses his girlfriend, and he gains soul. So, there's a period where he's on a street corner busking, having lost his band, but beginning his solo career. And there would be, in reality, these guys standing on the corner outside the clubs in Seattle hawking their solo cassettes. So we wanted Cliff Poncier to have his own solo cassette. And Jeff Ament, in classic style, designed this cassette cover and wrote out these fictitious song names for the cassette.

And Chris Cornell was another guy who was close to us when we were making the record, and still is a good friend. I really loved Soundgarden; they were my favorite band. I originally thought Chris could play the lead, but then I think that turned into too big of a commitment for everybody and so he became the guy he is in the movie, but in the course of making the movie he was close to all of us. He was always around.

Anyway, Jeff Ament had designed this solo cassette which we thought was hilarious because it had all of these cool song titles like "Flutter Girl," and "Spoonman," and just like a really true-type "I've lost my band, and now I'm a soulful guy – these are my songs now" feeling. So we loved that Jeff had played out the fictitious life of Cliff Poncier. And one night, I stayed home, and Nancy, we were then married, she went out to a club, and she came back home, and she said, "Man, I met this guy, and he was selling solo cassettes, and so I got one for you." And she hands me the Cliff Poncier cassette. And I was like, "That's funny, haha." And then she said, "You should listen to it." So I put on the cassette. And holy shit, this is Chris Cornell, as Cliff Poncier, recording all of these songs, with lyrics, and total creative vision, and he has recorded the entire fake, solo cassette. And it's fantastic. And "Seasons" comes on. And you just can't help but go, "Wow." This is a guy who we've only known in Soundgarden. And of course he's incredibly creative, but who's heard him like this? And we got to use "Seasons" on the soundtrack, and Chris did some of the score. And some of the unreleased score is on the new version of the album.

It's kind of an example of how the community was close, still is close, and musically generous, and everybody is such huge music fans, that this would be the greatest joke to share with a buddy you can imagine. And obviously the music really holds up. He went and recorded "Spoonman" with Soundgarden and it was a big hit. It's a statement about how when you're not worried about somebody judging you or looking over your shoulder sometimes you do great stuff. And that's the story of the fictitious Poncier cassette that became largely real.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:00 pm 
Stone's Bitch

reading that just made me sadder than ever

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:02 pm 
post-structuralist

evenslow wrote:

It's a good story tho. and i think I'd have loved Cornell as cliff ive never found matt dillon appealing.

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:13 pm 
Major Dude

Thanks for sharing that.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:21 pm 
Future Drummer

malice wrote:
evenslow wrote:

It's a good story tho. and i think I'd have loved Cornell as cliff ive never found matt dillon appealing.

That would've been awesome. I wonder if he could act?
Anyway thanks for that story, it's great.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:04 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

doone wrote:
malice wrote:
evenslow wrote:

That would've been awesome. I wonder if he could act?
Anyway thanks for that story, it's great.

Would have been a totally different character. It would have been funny to see Cornell try and pull of an aloof doofus

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:35 am 
known prankster

Interesting, 'Ferry Boat #3' contains similar lyrics to The Curse by Audioslave. I could have sworn I had seen these lyrics online years before The Curse was released, so I guess this is where they come from.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam