The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Last Exit vs. Do The Evolution
Last Exit 49%  49%  [ 39 ]
Do The Evolution 51%  51%  [ 40 ]
Total votes : 79
 Post subject: Re: 2015 Finals: Last Exit vs. Do The Evolution
PostPosted: Mon March 30, 2015 11:04 pm 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
Thanks for all you do 10c!

PostPosted: Mon March 30, 2015 11:11 pm 
The worst

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Having a regular season where you might play a team multiple times makes sense when you're playing a game. There are so many factors that go into how a game is decided that playing multiple times gives you a truer representation of who the better team is. But these matchups aren't games, they're opinion polls. So having a team lose and then come back seems very silly to me.

I can't decide if the fact that faithfully lost (and by a fair margin) the second time validates or condems this concept.

But one of the big pluses of this, I think, is that it gives us a wider array of combos to opinionize about. Since it's not like there are objective ways to measure one song vs another.

Clearly this didn't work as well as I had hoped, since there was so much pissing and moaning about it, but I stand by a setup that has more voting on consequential match ups and a wider mix of combinations we otherwise wouldn't get

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon March 30, 2015 11:17 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Fuck the haters Stip - this has been fun. Thanks for doing this!

PostPosted: Mon March 30, 2015 11:21 pm 
Champion of RM

Rangi Guy wrote:
Stip - this has been fun. Thanks for doing this!

PostPosted: Mon March 30, 2015 11:23 pm 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

CopperTom wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:

PostPosted: Mon March 30, 2015 11:26 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

In before stip I hate your guts

PostPosted: Tue March 31, 2015 12:31 am 
Poster of the Year

stip wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Having a regular season where you might play a team multiple times makes sense when you're playing a game. There are so many factors that go into how a game is decided that playing multiple times gives you a truer representation of who the better team is. But these matchups aren't games, they're opinion polls. So having a team lose and then come back seems very silly to me.

I can't decide if the fact that faithfully lost (and by a fair margin) the second time validates or condems this concept.

But one of the big pluses of this, I think, is that it gives us a wider array of combos to opinionize about. Since it's not like there are objective ways to measure one song vs another.

Clearly this didn't work as well as I had hoped, since there was so much pissing and moaning about it, but I stand by a setup that has more voting on consequential match ups and a wider mix of combinations we otherwise wouldn't get

Despite any bitching I may have done at the time, I liked the separation of songs into eras.

PostPosted: Tue March 31, 2015 12:55 am 
Future Drummer

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:

PostPosted: Tue March 31, 2015 1:04 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Stip, thanks for putting this thing together. I enjoyed every minute of it and the tournament kept me checking back in with RM every day (something I hadn't done in a long long time). I thought the new format was fun and being able to compare/contrast songs from the same eras was much more enjoyable than just watching old school PJ songs demolish modern day PJ songs at a 90% clip in the first several rounds. Anyone bitching about any of this has way too much time on their hands.

That being said, I think hlniv's idea from page 1 would be a cool new twist for next years tournament. Hopefully there's enough going on around these parts for the next 10-11 months that I am around to vote again then.

PostPosted: Tue March 31, 2015 1:15 am 

Yes, even if I find it all a little confusing, thanks again for running this shindig, stip. It's always fun.

PostPosted: Tue March 31, 2015 1:18 am 
Poster of the Year

PHATJ wrote:
Anyone bitching about any of this has way too much time on their hands.

This is what I don't understand. We're all here, we're all posting, we're all voting in a really silly march madness bracket tournament of Pearl Jam songs. Think about that for a minute. To put yourself on a high horse because you spend your time here with a positive opinion instead of a negative one seems pretty arbitrary. It doesn't take me any more time to complain about something on the board, my time here is going to be pretty much the same regardless if my opinion of something is negative or positive.

Also, isn't this a better place if there are some constructive disagreements? If everyone just posts "hey this is awesome" it'll get lame pretty fast and there won't be any room to make something better because we've already accepted it's perfect as is.

PostPosted: Tue March 31, 2015 1:19 am 
Poster of the Year

My only gripe with the tournament is that in some of the later rounds, losing didn't mean you were eliminated. Even though all the previous rounds it meant that, and all the following rounds it meant that.

PostPosted: Tue March 31, 2015 1:41 am 

chud you're killing it in here.

PostPosted: Tue March 31, 2015 1:42 am 
Poster of the Year

I have a lot of time on my hands.

PostPosted: Tue March 31, 2015 1:43 am 

10 Billion Years 2015 Wild Card Redo March Madness Champion!

PostPosted: Tue March 31, 2015 1:45 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

i just found out that the RM March Madness Tourney is based in Indiana. boycott.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue March 31, 2015 1:49 am 

Freedom to discriminate against songs I don't like!

PostPosted: Tue March 31, 2015 2:02 am 

cutuphalfdead wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

This is what I don't understand. We're all here, we're all posting, we're all voting in a really silly march madness bracket tournament of Pearl Jam songs. Think about that for a minute. To put yourself on a high horse because you spend your time here with a positive opinion instead of a negative one seems pretty arbitrary. It doesn't take me any more time to complain about something on the board, my time here is going to be pretty much the same regardless if my opinion of something is negative or positive.

Also, isn't this a better place if there are some constructive disagreements? If everyone just posts "hey this is awesome" it'll get lame pretty fast and there won't be any room to make something better because we've already accepted it's perfect as is.

Chud, theoretically, yes. But this is a bit different. One of "us" put this thing together. One of "us" spent a lot of their hard earned free time to do something designed to bring fun to the group. It just seems petty and ungrateful to nit pick the efforts of someone that was only trying to bring us all some enjoyment. That's all. I appreciate his efforts, I thought the new format was fun and I didn't find it nearly as confusing and befuddling as you and some others may have. Constructive criticism is one thing, you just seem to be coming across as a bit needlessly bitchy.

PostPosted: Tue March 31, 2015 2:04 am 
Poster of the Year

PHATJ wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

Chud, theoretically, yes. But this is a bit different. One of "us" put this thing together. One of "us" spent a lot of their hard earned free time to do something designed to bring fun to the group. It just seems petty and ungrateful to nit pick the efforts of someone that was only trying to bring us all some enjoyment. That's all. I appreciate his efforts, I thought the new format was fun and I didn't find it nearly as confusing and befuddling as you and some others may have. Constructive criticism is one thing, you just seem to be coming across as a bit needlessly bitchy.

Has my tone really been bitchy today? I feel like I've gone out of my way to be polite about all this and point out my appreciation for stip's efforts.

PostPosted: Tue March 31, 2015 2:06 am 

cutuphalfdead wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

Has my tone really been bitchy today? I feel like I've gone out of my way to be polite about all this and point out my appreciation for stip's efforts.

Maybe not so much today, but the last couple with the endless complaining about the format.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam