The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - B-Sides & Rarities Complete Collection
PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2015 3:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 12128
WANT.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - B-Sides & Rarities Complete Collection
PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2015 3:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 10:32 pm
Posts: 184
Location: St. Paul
Did you consider the complete songs on Single Video Theory?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - B-Sides & Rarities Complete Collection
PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2015 3:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 5:47 pm
Posts: 3056
Location: Louisville, KY
This is awesome!

I feel the need to contribute in some way, so here goes-

Speed of Sound (demo) was given out as a reward for completing the Backspacer treasure hunt which was available on 7/29/09. The Backspacer album was recorded largely between Feb 2009 and April 2009, and Eddie had a solo tour that ended August 2008. Who knows where it was recorded, but it was likely at the end of 2008, not late 2009 as you have listed. Eddie waited until he got to Hawaii apparently to play it solo on 6/29/09, as the song was apparently conceived while there at some previous time.


From Stereogum-
Quote:
By brandon / July 29, 2009
Tom Tomorrow’s Backspacer cover’s being revealed today via an on-line treasure hunt: Bits of the art are showing up on nine different sites as we speak. See them separately at antiquiet and (spoiler) united in the small composite accompanying this post. If you do decide to visit each participating site, you’ll get this demo of “Speed of Sound,” a Backspacer song Eddie Vedder performed solo earlier this month:



From Twofeetthick EV concert chronology - song debuted by EV on 6/29/09
Quote:
6/29/09 – Castle Theater, Maui, HI
Set list: Walking The Cow, (Brain Damage)/Sometimes, Around the Bend, I Am Mine, Betterman, Far Behind, No Ceiling, Guaranteed, Rise, Millworker, Last Kiss, You’re True, Open All Night (Springsteen), Driftin’, You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away, Patriot, Elderly Woman…, Porch
1st encore: Society, Throw Your Arms Around Me, ‘Til the Rivers All Run Dry, Golden State, Wishlist, Speed of Sound, Arc
2nd encore: Hard Sun
TFT Notes: Ed debuts “Speed of Sound” which is “a piece of fruit that just fell off the tree” and Ed felt “compelled to play it (in Maui) because the tree happened to be on this island.” He mentions he recently recorded in Hawaii with Ron Wood – which had the audience thinking they were getting the song from that collaboration – but the recent announcement of the Backspacer tracklisting confirmed the song as a PJ original.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - B-Sides & Rarities Complete Collection
PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2015 4:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 16, 2013 10:46 pm
Posts: 1600
Location: Wrigleyville
Looks awesome!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - B-Sides & Rarities Complete Collection
PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2015 5:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 31485
Location: this field intentionally left blank
Quote:
Ed debuts “Speed of Sound” which is “a piece of fruit that just fell off the tree”

jesus christ

_________________
BurtReynolds wrote:
If earth were a sphere, it would be impossible for any of us to stay grounded.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - B-Sides & Rarities Complete Collection
PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2015 5:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:49 pm
Posts: 12108
Location: there all is aching
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Quote:
Ed debuts “Speed of Sound” which is “a piece of fruit that just fell off the tree”

jesus christ


You're missing part of the quote -

Ed debuts “Speed of Sound” which is “a piece of fruit that just fell off the snooze tree and hit every branch on the way down”

_________________
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What a great post, tommy


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - B-Sides & Rarities Complete Collection
PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2015 5:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Fri August 16, 2013 6:36 pm
Posts: 10108
Location: Death Machine Inc's HQ
wait, people don't like speed of sound? that's one of the few tracks on backspacer that i can tolerate.

_________________
No Fat Chicks


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - B-Sides & Rarities Complete Collection
PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2015 5:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:49 pm
Posts: 12108
Location: there all is aching
Alex wrote:
wait, people don't like speed of sound? that's one of the few tracks on backspacer that i can tolerate.


To be perfectly honest I can't remember what it sounds like.

_________________
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What a great post, tommy


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - B-Sides & Rarities Complete Collection
PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2015 5:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Fri August 16, 2013 6:36 pm
Posts: 10108
Location: Death Machine Inc's HQ
tommymtcom wrote:
Alex wrote:
wait, people don't like speed of sound? that's one of the few tracks on backspacer that i can tolerate.


To be perfectly honest I can't remember what it sounds like.

yeah, me neither

_________________
No Fat Chicks


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - B-Sides & Rarities Complete Collection
PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2015 5:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Fri August 16, 2013 6:36 pm
Posts: 10108
Location: Death Machine Inc's HQ
i think it's about chuck yeager

_________________
No Fat Chicks


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - B-Sides & Rarities Complete Collection
PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2015 5:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Fri August 16, 2013 6:36 pm
Posts: 10108
Location: Death Machine Inc's HQ
or it could be about swallowing seeds on the wave of ralph nader's solitude

_________________
No Fat Chicks


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - B-Sides & Rarities Complete Collection
PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2015 8:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 29573
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
stip wrote:
did you check this against the song archive we have stickied?

I think when it is all said and done, we will be checking his list to update ours.

you hear this, stip? he's challenging your manhood

ehhh, I like to lie there and let my partner do all the work

_________________
*Led Zeppelin Mega Tournament: Click here*


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - B-Sides & Rarities Complete Collection
PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2015 8:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:20 am
Posts: 2723
If we had an "RMer of the Year," it'd be you. Nice work!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - B-Sides & Rarities Complete Collection
PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2015 9:29 pm 
Online
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:33 pm
Posts: 1828
Location: Rand McNally
hlniv wrote:
This is awesome!

I feel the need to contribute in some way, so here goes-

Speed of Sound (demo) was given out as a reward for completing the Backspacer treasure hunt which was available on 7/29/09. The Backspacer album was recorded largely between Feb 2009 and April 2009, and Eddie had a solo tour that ended August 2008. Who knows where it was recorded, but it was likely at the end of 2008, not late 2009 as you have listed. Eddie waited until he got to Hawaii apparently to play it solo on 6/29/09, as the song was apparently conceived while there at some previous time.

TFT Notes: Ed debuts “Speed of Sound” which is “a piece of fruit that just fell off the tree” and Ed felt “compelled to play it (in Maui) because the tree happened to be on this island.” He mentions he recently recorded in Hawaii with Ron Wood – which had the audience thinking they were getting the song from that collaboration – but the recent announcement of the Backspacer tracklisting confirmed the song as a PJ original.

Thanks hlniv! This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. "Late 2009" was actually a typo, it should have been "late 2008", so good to know I'm likely on the right track there.

That info about Ron Wood is helpful for 'Lucky Man' from EV Disc 4 too :nice:


Kevin Davis wrote:
One track I'm not seeing is "I'm Still Here" -- I think it was a hidden track on the Japanese version of "Lost Dogs." I could just be missing it, though.

I'm Still Here was actually an mp3 that was leaked around the time of Lost Dogs, it wasn't featured on any official release or promo (that Japanese reference someone made up really stuck!).


Hypnosomnia wrote:
Quote:
- Unofficial leaks not included (e.g. Cold Confession, Anything In Between) - there will be a separate compilation for these
Very sexy. What are you planning to do with this?

Probably a proper more expansive 'Stray Cats' compilation, which was just thrown together quickly when CC and LIR were leaked.


delanoche wrote:
Did you consider the complete songs on Single Video Theory?

I did, but again I have something else in mind for these ;)


Got Some wrote:
Crapshoot Rapture ??

Rare audience-recorded stuff obviously not included.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - B-Sides & Rarities Complete Collection
PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2015 9:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 10798
From my (possibly unreliable) memory, Ed originally intended Speed of Sound for Ron Wood's album but it didn't end up coming together so he claimed it back.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - B-Sides & Rarities Complete Collection
PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2015 9:55 pm 
Online
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:33 pm
Posts: 1828
Location: Rand McNally
Birds in Hell wrote:
From my (possibly unreliable) memory, Ed originally intended Speed of Sound for Ron Wood's album but it didn't end up coming together so he claimed it back.

Good to know :thumbsup:

And thank God, that Ron Wood album is terrible.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - B-Sides & Rarities Complete Collection
PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2015 10:03 pm 
Offline
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 5542
ridleybradout wrote:
hlniv wrote:
This is awesome!

I feel the need to contribute in some way, so here goes-

Speed of Sound (demo) was given out as a reward for completing the Backspacer treasure hunt which was available on 7/29/09. The Backspacer album was recorded largely between Feb 2009 and April 2009, and Eddie had a solo tour that ended August 2008. Who knows where it was recorded, but it was likely at the end of 2008, not late 2009 as you have listed. Eddie waited until he got to Hawaii apparently to play it solo on 6/29/09, as the song was apparently conceived while there at some previous time.

TFT Notes: Ed debuts “Speed of Sound” which is “a piece of fruit that just fell off the tree” and Ed felt “compelled to play it (in Maui) because the tree happened to be on this island.” He mentions he recently recorded in Hawaii with Ron Wood – which had the audience thinking they were getting the song from that collaboration – but the recent announcement of the Backspacer tracklisting confirmed the song as a PJ original.

Thanks hlniv! This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. "Late 2009" was actually a typo, it should have been "late 2008", so good to know I'm likely on the right track there.

That info about Ron Wood is helpful for 'Lucky Man' from EV Disc 4 too :nice:


Kevin Davis wrote:
One track I'm not seeing is "I'm Still Here" -- I think it was a hidden track on the Japanese version of "Lost Dogs." I could just be missing it, though.

I'm Still Here was actually an mp3 that was leaked around the time of Lost Dogs, it wasn't featured on any official release or promo (that Japanese reference someone made up really stuck!).


Hypnosomnia wrote:
Quote:
- Unofficial leaks not included (e.g. Cold Confession, Anything In Between) - there will be a separate compilation for these
Very sexy. What are you planning to do with this?

Probably a proper more expansive 'Stray Cats' compilation, which was just thrown together quickly when CC and LIR were leaked.


delanoche wrote:
Did you consider the complete songs on Single Video Theory?

I did, but again I have something else in mind for these ;)


Got Some wrote:
Crapshoot Rapture ??

Rare audience-recorded stuff obviously not included.


Consider me edified! Thanks again for this Ridley, looks wonderful.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - B-Sides & Rarities Complete Collection
PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2015 1:16 am 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:02 am
Posts: 7686
Location: Not NYC
This is really an amazing collection and I can't imagine the countless hours of work. Congrats. I did see a typo; all the easy street recordings are listed as LIVE AT EAST ST.

Again, congrats on this epic project.

_________________
I'm just here for the tacos and beer.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - B-Sides & Rarities Complete Collection
PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2015 1:20 am 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:02 am
Posts: 7686
Location: Not NYC
Also, why was this one included?

COME BACK (LIVE IN ST PAUL) ....................................... Xcel Energy Center, St Paul, June 26, 2006


I was there so I'm curious of the significance.

_________________
I'm just here for the tacos and beer.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - B-Sides & Rarities Complete Collection
PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2015 1:26 am 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:02 am
Posts: 7686
Location: Not NYC
What about the one time cover they did of R.E.M.'s IT HAPPENED TODAY? I know it was on an official boot.

_________________
I'm just here for the tacos and beer.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Mon December 18, 2017 1:09 am