The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 486 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - B-Sides & Rarities Complete Collection
PostPosted: Tue April 21, 2015 5:30 am 
Lost Cat

Hi,
we made something similar called ROCK AROUND PEARL JAM, it's a a fan made project of almost any album/song released by Pearl Jam and by each person who's joined the band over the years. The goal was to collect unusual stuff only, that's why we didn't include the studio albums and the ordinary official bootlegs that have been released since 2000. The quality is pretty good: the most totality is "MP3 320 kbps, 44.100/48.000 Hz, Stereo" except for some demos/promos or b-sides.
That's the list, in case you need anything https://mega.co.nz/#!JYIEQIoQ!mXfQSHIG- ... nFr6u1Wv1E

Cheers
Fabrizio

PostPosted: Wed April 22, 2015 1:34 am 
Future Drummer

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
JasonA wrote:
I'm JasonA, and I approve of this project! :thumbsup: Nice to see someone take it over, I no longer have the time nor motivation to keep this thing current.

One thing I might suggest is not "remastering" anything. JWB has done some fine work fixing up live shows, etc., and I appreciate the work involved. But for me, personally, I'd prefer to have all these tracks pure and unfutzed with - even if they don't sound perfectly smooth played back next to one another. For me, fading live tracks in and out at the beginning and end is about as far as I'd go with remastering things - no level changes, EQ, etc.

It's not my project any more and I'm not trying to tell anybody what to do, but I think there may be other fans with preferences similar to mine. Maybe, if there's enough interest, you could release two versions - one set with JWB's remastering changes made, and another set just as-is without the remastering?

Either way, I'm keeping an eye on this thread and look forward to the final results.

I've been seriously thinking about this. I think the problem is that the differences are too extreme, even on the first disc. You've got normally mastered stuff that is very clear, maybe a bit too bright. And then you've got the recent stuff which has no treble to speak of but tons of upper-midrange and bass and it's massively massively compressed and loud. It really is a jarring mis-match of epic proportions. Any normal person would find it distracting. I was able to piece together a version of the first disc that revolves around the "normal" stuff. It's not bad at all. But I'm starting to think that it would be too much effort to equalize every non-perfect track on this set, and I can see how that would be undesirable for some. I'm thinking perhaps we should leave the EQ as-is all across the board, but make level adjustments only on the really, really super loud shit. A compromise of sorts. It will also be ready sooner.

I agree with this. Level collection is fine but keep the eq as is.

This should be seen more as a collection of artifacts, so the less you do to them the better, even if the sound is disjointed track to track.

Hey hey Jason A! Great to hear you approve :thumbsup:

I tend to agree with what's been said above so have decided to only do minor level adjustments where absolutely necessary. Some great work has already been done to the first disc so I might include an alternate version of just this disc.

Finalisation of the collection is chugging along. For those interested, the following tracks have been added thanks to some helpful fellow fans:

- Alive (Unplugged), from MTV promo
- Oceans (Live in San Diego 2006), from Patagonia Music Vol II
- Immortality and Better Man (Live in Hartford 2008), from UK/CA bonus track versions of Backspacer (recreated from bootleg FLAC, if anyone has the original MP3s please send my way)
- Animal (Live at Bonnaroo 2008), from 2010 Bonnaroo compilation for climate change awareness
- Source upgrade for Save You, WWS and Sirens (video versions)
- Lossless sources for EV with the Doors and Into The Wild bonus tracks
- Alternate version of "The Wolf" from ITW score ("Violence at Home")
- EV with Boom's Po + the 4Fathers - "Kingdom Come" (MP3 - if anyone has a vinyl rip please send my way)
- Blu-ray audio upgrades for PJ20 tracks and Release (new vocals) from Out of the Furnace

What I am still missing:

Volcom Even Flow/Porch 7" single from 2009
Future Days (Radio edit)
Hard Sun (Radio edit)

If anyone could contribute a FLAC rip of any of these it would be very much appreciatory
:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed April 22, 2015 1:38 am 
Future Drummer

JamRiver wrote:
Hi,
we made something similar called ROCK AROUND PEARL JAM, it's a a fan made project of almost any album/song released by Pearl Jam and by each person who's joined the band over the years. The goal was to collect unusual stuff only, that's why we didn't include the studio albums and the ordinary official bootlegs that have been released since 2000. The quality is pretty good: the most totality is "MP3 320 kbps, 44.100/48.000 Hz, Stereo" except for some demos/promos or b-sides.
That's the list, in case you need anything https://mega.co.nz/#!JYIEQIoQ!mXfQSHIG- ... nFr6u1Wv1E

Cheers
Fabrizio

Cheers Fabrizio - I think you've sent me everything I needed from this, thanks again!

This list is a great resource for anyone wanting a definitive list of demo session and side-project recordings :nice:

PostPosted: Wed April 22, 2015 2:34 am 
Future Drummer

JamRiver wrote:
Hi,

Cheers
Fabrizio

Good list, but the main albums in the Vs. and Vitalogy reissues are not remixed like Ten. They are just plain remasters and do not really need to be listed.

PostPosted: Sun April 26, 2015 10:10 pm 
A Return To Form

I've never seen anyone bring this up when discussing rarities, but the unreleased 1995 tour movie has 3 new songs:
- Piano song (near the beginning) - to my ears it sounds like it could have come from Ed and Jack when Stupid Mop was recorded. Of course after hearing "Pendulumorphosis", maybe it's a Jeff song. It definitely my favorite of the three.
- Drum Song (a little after the piano song) - it's clearly a typical Jack Irons instrumental drum song
- Mike Song (near the end) - a nice little McCready instrumental guitar song

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:41 pm 
The worst

are there youtube rips of those songs?

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:50 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

gonna go ahead and cast my vote for ridley as the RMer Of 2015.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:55 pm 
A Return To Form

stip wrote:
are there youtube rips of those songs?

I ripped them off my "copy" and have them on my computer. I haven't ripped the audio from the finished version that was posted online awhile back. If I remember correctly, one or two of the songs are slightly longer in this version.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:57 pm 
Champion of RM

Finished version? Link please.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:31 am 
A Return To Form

CopperTom wrote:

https://vimeo.com/68588977

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:48 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Hey guys, I can't find any links in this thread; would love to hear this, thanks!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:07 pm 
Banned from the Pit

parasolmonster wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

I realize this is a little off topic, and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I was surprised to see that most of the "finished version" the link took me to is in glorious stereo. I have a couple different versions of the '95 movie (a two-disc set and one called Sponsored By No One), and I think both are about 30 min. longer than the version up on Vimeo, but in mono and seem to be from a higher generation source.

I'm sure I'm way behind on this. Is there a thread that discusses this, or can anyone give me a little info as to when and how this superior version surfaced? Is it missing any songs or does it just omit some of the non-performance footage in the "unfinished" version?

I hope this post doesn't distract from the fantastic, much anticipated project that is the primary focus of this discussion.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:03 pm 
A Return To Form

upperdecker wrote:
parasolmonster wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

I realize this is a little off topic, and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I was surprised to see that most of the "finished version" the link took me to is in glorious stereo. I have a couple different versions of the '95 movie (a two-disc set and one called Sponsored By No One), and I think both are about 30 min. longer than the version up on Vimeo, but in mono and seem to be from a higher generation source.

I'm sure I'm way behind on this. Is there a thread that discusses this, or can anyone give me a little info as to when and how this superior version surfaced? Is it missing any songs or does it just omit some of the non-performance footage in the "unfinished" version?

I hope this post doesn't distract from the fantastic, much anticipated project that is the primary focus of this discussion.

Sorry to add to the distraction myself. I haven't watched much of the finished version yet, but I'm thrilled to hear it's in stereo! I believe I read about the finished version on the official board. I don't have a link to back this up though. If my memory serves me correctly, it was posted 6-12 months ago. It's about the only useful thing I have found on that board in a good five years. I'm assuming they were able to finally "release" it since so much of the movie showed up in PJ20. Last night I tried e-mailing the company to see if they had song titles, but I couldn't get their communication link to send.

Edit:
I Finally started watching the whole thing. I got 30 minutes in before I had to stop for the night. Here's the new stuff so far and the time they occur in the movie:
Pearl Jam - Vitalogy Tour Film

00:00 - Piano Song
09:18 - Drum Song
14:02 - Drum Song 2
22:02 - Even Flow (Alternate Intro)

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:49 pm 
Future Drummer

Thanks for bringing up the 1995 tour movie, I never thought to rip those instrumental pieces :thumbsup:

I watched the full version on the weekend too. It's a weird film - doesn't seem to have a coherent flow and some songs are featured in full twice (Even Flow, Last Exit, STBC). Was good to see some new footage not featured in the leaked version, especially the Baba O'Riley rehearsal at Sidney Myer Music Bowl (at 1:22:00) - shame there isn't any footage from that actual show.

http://vimeo.com/68588977

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:27 pm 
Future Drummer

Audio from the Vitalogy movie ripped from the Vimeo link above and links provided for FLAC tracks below. Most of the live song quality is decent stereo, but remember, this is ripped from a streaming web site. Still, many of the performances and recordings are pretty damn good considering the other options we have from this tour. I've tried my best to identify which shows these were pulled from using the Five Horizons Concert Chronology. For any that I've listed as "unknown", if anyone wants to try and figure it out, be my guest.

1995 Vitalogy Tour Movie - Audio

Tracklist
1. Intro/Piano
2. I Got Shit
3. Whipping
4. Drum arrangement 1
5. Tremor Christ
6. Drum arrangement 2
7. Not For You
8. Even Flow (alt intro)
9. Australia "we finally meet"
10. Deep
11. Happy Birthday Jeff
12. Release
13. Betterman (newscast voiceover)
14. Let My Love Open the Door
15. Even Flow (alt intro) (again)
16. Last Exit
17. Spin The Black Circle
18. Jack irons Chant
19. Immortality
20. Animal
21. Corduroy (outro cut)
22. (newscast)
23. Blood (partial)
24. Go
25. Last Exit
26. Spin The Black Circle
27. Lukin
28. Baba O'Riley (rehearsal)
29. (NWA)-Porch (partial)
30. (newscast)
31. Porch (outro-partial)
32. Guitar instrumental 1
33. Guitar instrumental 2
34. "It's all about life"
35. Throw Your Arms Around Me

2,3 from Osaka 2/21/95. This is the debut of I Got Shit
5 is likely from Tapei 2/24/95, although no setlist from this show is known
7,8 both come right after a "Manila" title - must be 2/26/95
9,10 from Australia, most likely from 3/16/95 Melbourne?
11 is 3/10/95 (Jeff's birthday)
12,13 unknown Australia dates
14 from Perth 3/6/95
15,16,17 Opening songs from Canberra 3/14/95
18 Jack Irons Chant 3-11-95 Sydney
19 unknown date
20 unknown date
21 unknown date
23,24 Adelaide 3-8-95
25,26 Brisbane 3-21-95 ?
27 unknown date
28 Sydney
29 Melbourne 3-17-95
31 unknown date
34,35 Auckland 3-24-95 (opening song)

Part 1 (tracks 1-10)
https://mega.co.nz/#!LMUWlSTK!uIA16l41p ... n_snUx2maw

Part 2 (tracks 11-19)
https://mega.co.nz/#!SZElTYbR!aFpKY5T7S ... eYmQQ4wA68

Part 3 (tracks 20-35)
https://mega.co.nz/#!uMNHhAqA!EOCL4MORC ... zo61B4m3ls

Last edited by hlniv on Tue July 28, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:43 pm 
AnalLog

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:57 pm 
Future Drummer

ridleybradout wrote:
Thanks for bringing up the 1995 tour movie, I never thought to rip those instrumental pieces :thumbsup:

I watched the full version on the weekend too. It's a weird film - doesn't seem to have a coherent flow and some songs are featured in full twice (Even Flow, Last Exit, STBC). Was good to see some new footage not featured in the leaked version, especially the Baba O'Riley rehearsal at Sidney Myer Music Bowl (at 1:22:00) - shame there isn't any footage from that actual show.

There's two more guitar pieces at the end as well...

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:05 am 
A Return To Form

hlniv wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:

There's two more guitar pieces at the end as well...

You are my hero! Thank you so much for doing this!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:37 am 
Future Drummer

I've decided to rearrange the B-Sides & Rarities collection a bit. There will now be two bonus 'For the Serious Collector' discs that contain:

- Tracks with only minor edits to their album versions (e.g. Save You (Clean Edit))
- Pearl Jam songs covered by others (e.g. Rearviewmirror by the Frogs)
- EV tracks where he only makes a minor/almost inaudible contribution (e.g. Big Train w/Mike Watt)
- Tracks that are superfluous to tracks included elsewhere in the collection (e.g. 16-minute version of Long Road w/Musrat Fateh Ali Khan)

Here's a preliminary tracklist for these discs, does anyone know of any other artists that have officially released a cover of a PJ song?
Quote:
PEARL JAM - MINOR EDITS

01. BLACK (EDIT)
from “Black”, Austrian promo CD, released 1991

02. ONCE (2008 MIX - EDIT)
03. WHY GO (2008 MIX - CLEAN EDIT)
04. BROTHER (CLEAN EDIT)
from “10 from Ten Radio Sampler” promo CD, released 2009

05. EVEN FLOW (RE-RECORDED VERSION)
from “Alive” Japanese EP SRCS 5884, released 1992

06. CRAZY MARY (W/ VICTORIA WILLIAM - WITH INTRO)
from “Sweet Relief: A Benefit for Victoria Williams - Audio Profile”, promo CD released 1993

07. NOTHING AS IT SEEMS (EDIT)
from “Nothing As It Seems” CD single, released April 25, 2000

08. SAVE YOU (EDIT)
from “Save You” Canadian promo CD, released 2002

PEARL JAM - COVERED BY OTHERS

09. CRAZY MARY (BY VICTORIA WILLIAMS & LOU REED, RADIO HOUR)
from “The Best of the Columbia Records Radio Hour - Volume 2”, released February 13, 1996

10. CRAZY MARY (BY VICTORIA WILLIAMS & LOU REED, LIVE ON MTV 120 MINUTES)
from “MTV 120 Minutes Live”, released February 3, 1998

11. REARVIEWMIRROR (BY THE FROGS)
from “Immortality” CD single, released June 6, 1995

12. INDIFFERENCE (BY BEN HARPER, LIVE IN GLASGOW)
from “Rolling Stone Cover Album” Target Exclusive CD, released September 11, 2007

13. STATE OF LOVE & TRUST (BY THE GASLIGHT ANTHEM, JIMMY FALLON LIVE)
from “The B-Sides”, released April 28, 2014

14. STATE OF LOVE & TRUST (BY THE GASLIGHT ANTHEM, iTUNES SESSION)
from “iTunes Session”, released on iTunes December 13, 2011

15. JUST BREATHE (BY WILLIE NELSON, FEAT. LUKAS NELSON)
from “Heroes”, released May 14, 2012

EDDIE VEDDER - MINOR CONTRIBUTIONS

01. WE SHALL OVERCOME 90 (W/ THE CARE)
from “Musicians Who Care Present: The Care” 12” LP, released 1990

02. AMERICAN JESUS (W/ BAD RELIGION)
03. WATCH IT DIE (W/ BAD RELIGION)
from “Recipe For Hate:, released June 4, 1993

04. BIG TRAIN (W/ MIKE WATT)
from “Ball-Hog or Tugboat?”, released February 28, 1995

05. GIRL’S EYES (W/ THE FASTBACKS)
from “New Mansions In Sound”, released June 18, 1996

06. SURFIN’ USA (BRIAN WILSON, EV IN CHOIR)
from “The Bridge School Concerts 25th Anniversary Edition”, released October 24, 2011

07. PARADISE (WHEREVER YOU ARE) (W/ NEIL FINN & FRIENDS, EV ON UKULELE)
from “7 Worlds Collide” CD, released November 26, 2001

08. EVOLUTION (W/ CAT POWER) from “You Are Free”, released February 18, 2003

09. LUCKY COUNTRY (RED WHYTE & KELLY SLATER, EV ON GUITAR)
from “The 5th Symphony Document - Original Soundtrack”, released June 7, 2004

10. MAKE A DIFFERENCE (3MJ & RUFUS, EV ON GUITAR)
from “Pancake Mountain - Episodes 11 & 12” DVD, released December 18, 2008

11. LUCKY MAN (W/ RONNIE WOOD, CO-WRITTEN BY EV)
from “I Feel Like Playing”, released September 28, 2010

12. WING (PATTI SMITH, EV & JOHNNY DEPP ON GUITAR)
from “West of Memphis: Voices For Justice” CD, released January 15, 2013

EDDIE VEDDER - SUPERFLUOUS

13. THE LONG ROAD (W/ MUSRAT FATEH ALI KHAN - EXTENDED)
14. THE FACE OF LOVE (W/ MUSRAT FATEH ALI KHAN - EXTENDED)
from “Dead Man Walking: The Score”, released April 2, 1996

15. HIGHWAY TO HELL (W/ BRUCE SPINGSTEEN)
from “Brisbane 02/26/14” Official bootleg FLAC, released March 2014

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:07 am 
A Return To Form

Large list here.

Personally I'm not in favour of these being included in this compilation, but am grateful for all the work being done!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 486 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam