The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 

Marker in the Sand vs. Speed of Sound (demo)
Marker in the Sand 79%  79%  [ 42 ]
Speed of Sound (demo) 21%  21%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 53
 Post subject: D4 Round 2ah: Marker in the Sand vs. Speed of Sound (demo)
PostPosted: Fri February 20, 2015 1:34 pm 
The worst

D4 Round 2ah: Marker in the Sand vs. Speed of Sound (demo)

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

Post subject: Re: D4 Round 2ah: Marker in the Sand vs. Speed of Sound (dem
PostPosted: Fri February 20, 2015 1:46 pm 
The worst

Marker. I prefer the studio speed of sound. I might have even voted for it. Marker as a whole is not as good as the sum of its parts. This is one of the songs that really suffers from the S/T production

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri February 20, 2015 3:15 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

God I love Marker.

PostPosted: Fri February 20, 2015 3:16 pm 
The Master

Why is this round all latter day pj match ups? Is this thing rigged by stip cause he knows none of these songs would last a second otherwise?

PostPosted: Fri February 20, 2015 3:17 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

durdencommatyler wrote:
God I love Marker.

:heartbeat:

PostPosted: Fri February 20, 2015 3:50 pm 
tl;dr

durdencommatyler wrote:
God I love Marker.

Me too, dct -- I have never identified with the common "verses strong, choruses weak" position on this song -- to me that chorus is a beautiful release of tension, which hits its emotional stride when Matt kicks up the tempo at the end (the "calling out" part). I think it's one of the unequivocal high points of the post-"Riot Act" years, and slays "Speed of Sound"' -- even the lovely demo version.

PostPosted: Fri February 20, 2015 4:01 pm 
Rank This Poster

I do not take issue with the chorus in itself; I find the transition into the chorus to be particularly weak. They feel like two different songs. Having said that, the transition from chorus to verse is the highlight of the song for me. That transition seems much more thoughtful and appropriate.

In the end I had to go with the Speed of Sound demo. While slightly anemic, it does have an incredible aesthetic that puts it ahead of Marker.

PostPosted: Fri February 20, 2015 4:04 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Kevin Davis wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
God I love Marker.

Me too, dct -- I have never identified with the common "verses strong, choruses weak" position on this song -- to me that chorus is a beautiful release of tension, which hits its emotional stride when Matt kicks up the tempo at the end (the "calling out" part). I think it's one of the unequivocal high points of the post-"Riot Act" years, and slays "Speed of Sound"' -- even the lovely demo version.

Well said. 100% agree. And it's one of maybe 3 songs on S/T that continues to get better with age. I liked the song from first listen, but now it's easily my favorite song on the album. Parachutes being an on-the-heels close second.

PostPosted: Fri February 20, 2015 4:06 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Maybe I just haven't been paying too much attention to criticisms of the song. But I had no idea "strong verse, weak chorus" was a typical complaint. Huh. Yeah, I don't agree with that at all. The chorus is my favorite part of the song. And I think it has one of the stronger chorus from S/T or Backspacer.

PostPosted: Fri February 20, 2015 4:09 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

durdencommatyler wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
God I love Marker.

Well said. 100% agree. And it's one of maybe 3 songs on S/T that continues to get better with age. I liked the song from first listen, but now it's easily my favorite song on the album. Parachutes being an on-the-heels close second.

Funny, I was just about to post that Marker has really aged well for me. I liked it initially, but it was still pretty far behind Parachutes and Army Reserve. Now, Marker and Parachutes are neck-and-neck above Army Reserve.

PostPosted: Fri February 20, 2015 4:57 pm 
The worst

Strat wrote:
Why is this round all latter day pj match ups? Is this thing rigged by stip cause he knows none of these songs would last a second otherwise?

The songs were broken down into 4 chronological divisions (91-93, 94-96, 98-2002, 2003-present). The top 4 or 8 songs from each group (whatever the rules post says) will then compete against each other to determine the winner. I thought this would shake up the final rounds a bit, and that the smaller period tournaments would be interesting.

Also what you said.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri February 20, 2015 4:59 pm 
The worst

durdencommatyler wrote:
Maybe I just haven't been paying too much attention to criticisms of the song. But I had no idea "strong verse, weak chorus" was a typical complaint. Huh. Yeah, I don't agree with that at all. The chorus is my favorite part of the song. And I think it has one of the stronger chorus from S/T or Backspacer.

I share the complaint that the transitions are sometimes a little troubling, but the verses are very good and the chorus is wonderful.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri February 20, 2015 8:36 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

stip wrote:
Strat wrote:

The songs were broken down into 4 chronological divisions (91-93, 94-96, 98-2002, 2003-present). The top 4 or 8 songs from each group (whatever the rules post says) will then compete against each other to determine the winner. I thought this would shake up the final rounds a bit, and that the smaller period tournaments would be interesting.

Also what you said.

I like the new format. It makes these earlier rounds far more interesting, IMO. I voted for Marker, but I do really like Speed of Sound (both the demo and the studio versions).

PostPosted: Fri February 20, 2015 8:41 pm 
Rank This Poster

PHATJ wrote:
I voted for Marker, but I do really like Speed of Sound (both the demo and the studio versions).

PostPosted: Fri February 20, 2015 10:27 pm 
Posting (live)

durdencommatyler wrote:
God I love Marker.

MITS is 4.5* PJ. It's great. Matts great. Even fucking Boom is great.

PostPosted: Fri February 20, 2015 10:31 pm 
Posting (live)

EJ wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
God I love Marker.

Funny, I was just about to post that Marker has really aged well for me. I liked it initially, but it was still pretty far behind Parachutes and Army Reserve. Now, Marker and Parachutes are neck-and-neck above Army Reserve.

Yes yes yes. The 3 real highlight of the album right there. Play those three with CC and LiR and a whole new album comes to light. A ST reissue is the most anticipated release these guys can do for me. Even over new material.

PostPosted: Sat February 21, 2015 2:45 pm 
Future Drummer

stip wrote:
Strat wrote:

Also what you said.

Dividing the tournament up this way has forced me to listen to post-Riot Act Pearl Jam.
Thanks stip. Image

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam