The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23631 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1130, 1131, 1132, 1133, 1134, 1135, 1136 ... 1182  Next

Early Impressions
5 stars 26%  26%  [ 69 ]
4 stars 55%  55%  [ 143 ]
3 stars 10%  10%  [ 27 ]
2 star 6%  6%  [ 16 ]
1 star 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 262
 Post subject: Re: Gigaton: Official album thread
PostPosted: Thu September 30, 2021 1:08 am 
The worst

Ms Harmless wrote:
liebzz wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
the recent performances have got me thinking that a lot of the shit in the last few years was absolutely choices they made, rather than diminished talent

The PJ20 victory tour went on way too long.

In their defense, they are just giving the fans what they want. Hits, deep cuts, rarities, a show that feels like their own in sets. I mean we pore over nightly set lists and tell tales of Eddie’s half focused banter, and then get annoyed when they keep pushing in that direction because they screw up a few chords!? You can say you want them to have a set 20 songs to play every night with one or two deviations because that would make them a tighter outfit, but really, when it’s your show, you know you want them to play stuff from out of left field…

I mean, there’s a contingent demanding both that the band is stagnant and too uninspired to try something whilst also criticizing their live show because they throw too much shit at the fan to see how it splats.

1. which fans? not me

2. who's "we"? I don't do any of those things

PJ have earned the right to do what they want, but let's stop pretending their fanbase is or was ever a monolith; it always consisted of several demographics, and different aspects of PJ's sound appealed to each in different ways; the PJ20 victory lap was a phase where they actively decided to pursue catering to one of those demographics (mainly pissed up jocks), and they've only just started to slightly branch out from that again with Gigaton

Reducing that element of the fanbase (of which I am certainly a part) to mainly pissed of jocks is exactly the same behavior you just decried.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu September 30, 2021 1:11 am 
The Master

Im sorry I played sports and do sports and stuff

PostPosted: Thu September 30, 2021 1:11 am 
The worst

you're more of a happy jock though

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu September 30, 2021 1:15 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

liebzz wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
the recent performances have got me thinking that a lot of the shit in the last few years was absolutely choices they made, rather than diminished talent

In their defense, they are just giving the fans what they want. Hits, deep cuts, rarities, a show that feels like their own in sets. I mean we pore over nightly set lists and tell tales of Eddie’s half focused banter, and then get annoyed when they keep pushing in that direction because they screw up a few chords!? You can say you want them to have a set 20 songs to play every night with one or two deviations because that would make them a tighter outfit, but really, when it’s your show, you know you want them to play stuff from out of left field…

I mean, there’s a contingent demanding both that the band is stagnant and too uninspired to try something whilst also criticizing their live show because they throw too much shit at the fan to see how it splats.

I agree 100 percent.

Just read these posts .

Pearl jam fans are pussy wussy

PostPosted: Thu September 30, 2021 1:15 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

knee tunes wrote:
liebzz wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

I agree 100 percent.

Just read these posts .

Pearl jam fans are pussy wussy

Oh god not a cover .

Oh god help us

Lol

PostPosted: Thu September 30, 2021 1:17 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Monkey_Driven wrote:
In their defense, they are just giving the fans what they want. Hits, deep cuts, rarities, a show that feels like their own in sets.

I think there is definitely a large component of the fanbase that wants exactly this from the band and over the last ten or so years they've been very happy to provide it.

That said, I think the band generally perform better when their primary focus is playing new songs they're really committed to.

I'm feeling a little bit of that with the recent shows, probably for the first time since 2006.

PostPosted: Thu September 30, 2021 2:23 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I don’t think Pearl Jam fans are necessarily a monolith, more that especially the hardcore fan base tends towards wanting more rare songs played at their shows, who go for piss breaks during Even Flow, etc. etc. - I don’t ever take piss breaks at Pearl Jam shows or get mad at what they play. I typically am just feeling whatever they are playing for the most part. Hell, if I got mad at a Pearl Jam show, it was the mass exodus to the bathrooms during the encore when Eddie played No More a lot in ‘08. And fans were only pissed because they went to multiple multiple shows where they saw it or just saw it on all the set lists leading in and were tired of it. I could swear I could hear a collective groan at the second MSG show. I’m not saying people shouldn’t do what they want, but that’s the point I am making - that even a song (good/bad/indifferent) played too many times on a tour will get an eye roll because we’ve all come to expect wildly different sets from night to night. It’s inevitable that the results will lead to mistakes, blown songs…but also one helluva thrill when they get it right on something you’d never expect.

Gigaton is a pretty safe record in total, but hell if it doesn’t take a few turns that remind me of that feeling - taking a few calculated risks and having them pay off.

PostPosted: Thu September 30, 2021 2:25 am 
Posting (live)

Birds in Hell wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
In their defense, they are just giving the fans what they want. Hits, deep cuts, rarities, a show that feels like their own in sets.

I think there is definitely a large component of the fanbase that wants exactly this from the band and over the last ten or so years they've been very happy to provide it.

That said, I think the band generally perform better when their primary focus is playing new songs they're really committed to.

I'm feeling a little bit of that with the recent shows, probably for the first time since 2006.

I agree, Spenno. Shorter sets with only a handful of the classic dozen that have been played to death.

And less covers. Seriously guys, lose the covers. 4 last time I saw them.

PostPosted: Thu September 30, 2021 2:37 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

LetMeSleep wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

I agree, Spenno. Shorter sets with only a handful of the classic dozen that have been played to death.

They only played 2 at Sea.Hear.Now - and My City of Ruins was perfectly placed given the Bruce vibes all day and that the song was written about Asbury Park.

PostPosted: Thu September 30, 2021 3:43 am 
AnalLog

stip wrote:

Happy Jock wasn't old, but he was a man

PostPosted: Thu September 30, 2021 11:16 am 
AnalLog

LetMeSleep wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

Agreed no more RITFW please.

They would have 15 Of their own songs that could do the same job easily

PostPosted: Thu September 30, 2021 11:22 am 
She / Her

guys, I have nothing against people who happen to fall into the demographic of "jock", and the same people I'm talking about have been decried countless times on this site for the same reasons that I hoped that term would invoke / infer

PostPosted: Thu September 30, 2021 11:24 am 
She / Her

"pissed up" = drunk, disorderly, constantly yelling EDDIE when it's quiet and wanting nothing but the Ten songs

PostPosted: Thu September 30, 2021 11:36 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

guitar_davey wrote:
stip wrote:

Happy Jock wasn't old, but he was a man

Hehe

PostPosted: Sat October 02, 2021 3:28 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Listening to this on vinyl

the sequence of this one is perfect....And im loving 7 O Clock so much these days.

PostPosted: Sat October 02, 2021 5:05 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Never Destination was so great live

PostPosted: Sat October 02, 2021 5:19 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Never Destination was so great live

I loved it on the stream. And can't wait to hear it in the room some day.

PostPosted: Sun October 03, 2021 8:53 am 
She / Her

they played Who Ever Said and I liked it

PostPosted: Sun October 03, 2021 10:58 am 
Future Drummer

Ms Harmless wrote:

I can't believe how tight it was for a first attempt! Ed not playing guitar obviously helps. Surprisingly faithful to the studio version too, right down to the outro :nice:

PostPosted: Mon October 04, 2021 4:17 pm 
Broken Tamborine

ridleybradout wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

I can't believe how tight it was for a first attempt! Ed not playing guitar obviously helps. Surprisingly faithful to the studio version too, right down to the outro :nice:

Yes. All the Gigaton songs have been pretty tight so far. The band seems well rehearsed and Ed's voice is sounding pretty strong too
Maybe the 2 years off due to COVID helped give his voice a rest.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23631 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1130, 1131, 1132, 1133, 1134, 1135, 1136 ... 1182  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam