The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291 ... 1182  Next

Early Impressions
5 stars 26%  26%  [ 69 ]
4 stars 54%  54%  [ 144 ]
3 stars 11%  11%  [ 29 ]
2 star 6%  6%  [ 16 ]
1 star 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 265
 Post subject: Re: 11th album rumors and speculation
PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 3:30 am 
The Master

I now understand dimes existence

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 4:49 am 
mXn

I’m 50/50 if I would go see Ed play Seattle.

Last time (X years ago?) he played Benaroya Hall. I didn’t even look to see how much tickets were.

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 5:16 am 
tl;dr

I enjoyed Eddie the two times I saw him solo (2008 and 2011), but I probably wouldn't go again unless the show was really close and inexpensive, if only because it seems like the only real addition to the show has been more covers.

I wish this new original did something more for me. But Eddie's recent songwriting (what little of it there is, that is) just doesn't get into my system in any kind of meaningful way -- it all feels so meandering, under-composed, and one-dimensional. I feel like the further he goes down this path, the clearer it becomes how out of league he is with guys like Neil, Springsteen, etc., who also do this dual rock-star/troubadour thing. I love the guy, but his skill set is extremely limited without good collaborators.

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 5:32 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Bi_3 wrote:
Push pops were candy, guys. They looked like lipstick

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 2:39 pm 
The Master

Kevin Davis wrote:
I enjoyed Eddie the two times I saw him solo (2008 and 2011), but I probably wouldn't go again unless the show was really close and inexpensive, if only because it seems like the only real addition to the show has been more covers.

I wish this new original did something more for me. But Eddie's recent songwriting (what little of it there is, that is) just doesn't get into my system in any kind of meaningful way -- it all feels so meandering, under-composed, and one-dimensional. I feel like the further he goes down this path, the clearer it becomes how out of league he is with guys like Neil, Springsteen, etc., who also do this dual rock-star/troubadour thing. I love the guy, but his skill set is extremely limited without good collaborators.

:cry: , but true.

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 3:17 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Kevin Davis wrote:

I think he's got plenty of skill set, but maybe he's just lacking in inspiration right now. When I was a teenager, never in a thousand years did I think that I'd be following him down a path where he busts out something freak folky like ITW or come out with a Uke album which I thought was surprisingly melodic and beautiful. This was the dude who could stage dive and scream bloody murder over punk chords, so I never saw his solo stuff coming. If he's not feeling inspiration right now, that sucks, I hope he gets his mojo back.

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 3:58 pm 
The Master

Tuolumne wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

I think he's got plenty of skill set, but maybe he's just lacking in inspiration right now. When I was a teenager, never in a thousand years did I think that I'd be following him down a path where he busts out something freak folky like ITW or come out with a Uke album which I thought was surprisingly melodic and beautiful. This was the dude who could stage dive and scream bloody murder over punk chords, so I never saw his solo stuff coming. If he's not feeling inspiration right now, that sucks, I hope he gets his mojo back.

It could happen, but I'm doubtful at this point.

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 7:00 pm 
The Master

Ed was never really the three chord troubador in the same vein as Neil and Bruce. He always approached the guitar a bit differently which I beleive had more to do with his love of also bands like the clash and his lack of guitar knowledge and ability.

You can't easily change the key of any key of most of his songs or rework them much in anyway in the same vein many of bruce and neil's songs are.

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 7:17 pm 
The Master

I dont know what my point above was meant to be but....

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 7:20 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

He's not shown to be a diverse songwriter/guitarist. It is very likely Ed's hit his creative ceiling a long time ago, especially given that he's recycled many themes and styles countless times at this point. Anybody down for another song about records spinning or bodies of water?

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 7:53 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

tree_ wrote:
He's not shown to be a diverse songwriter/guitarist. It is very likely Ed's hit his creative ceiling a long time ago, especially given that he's recycled many themes and styles countless times at this point. Anybody down for another song about records spinning or bodies of water?

Lakes. We don’t have his take on lakes, ponds, puddles, or streams. We now have the theme for the 11th album. You’re welcome.

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 8:04 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Strat wrote:
Ed was never really the three chord troubador in the same vein as Neil and Bruce. He always approached the guitar a bit differently which I beleive had more to do with his love of also bands like the clash and his lack of guitar knowledge and ability.

You can't easily change the key of any key of most of his songs or rework them much in anyway in the same vein many of bruce and neil's songs are.

I dunno about that, he proved to be much more than meets the eye by becoming really good at finger picking and singing gentle but tight melodies. I didn't see that coming.

I could see him doing an orchestral type album, an organ/piano based thing, and art rock album if he ever tapped into the guy he was back in 1995.

There is a ceiling, but I think the capability exists. I really think it's just finding inspiration and a focus. He should just shut down touring opportunities altogether if he wants to find it, I don't think I see any real point to this tour he's on right now.

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 8:06 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Tuolumne wrote:
Strat wrote:

I dunno about that, he proved to be much more than meets the eye by becoming really good at finger picking and singing gentle but tight melodies. I didn't see that coming.

I could see him doing an orchestral type album, an organ/piano based thing, and art rock album if he ever tapped into the guy he was back in 1995.

There is a ceiling, but I think the capability exists. I really think it's just finding inspiration and a focus. He should just shut down touring opportunities altogether if he wants to find it, I don't think I see any real point to this tour he's on right now.

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 8:11 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Yep, easy money. Plus, I'm sure he loves traveling Europe.

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 8:12 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Surely he has plenty of money. He must just enjoy it.

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 8:13 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

liebzz wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Lakes. We don’t have his take on lakes, ponds, puddles, or streams. We now have the theme for the 11th album. You’re welcome.

I'd be fine with that if he could sell it with his voice. Unfortunately, it's pretty shrill these days.

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 8:16 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

He needs to stop trying to sound so hardcore. If he sang like The National he'd wet my panties again.

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 8:36 pm 
Posting (live)

knee tunes wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Thanks for getting this back on track, KT. The last few pages have been monotonous.

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 8:47 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

LetMeSleep wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Thanks for getting this back on track, KT. The last few pages have been monotonous.
Katie posted that way before it got back off track again. I don't understand why you would say this now.

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 8:48 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

btw, when we met the other day, she said she hates when you call her that, tree_

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291 ... 1182  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam