The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23637 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1080, 1081, 1082, 1083, 1084, 1085, 1086 ... 1182  Next

Early Impressions
5 stars 26%  26%  [ 70 ]
4 stars 53%  53%  [ 142 ]
3 stars 12%  12%  [ 31 ]
2 star 6%  6%  [ 16 ]
1 star 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 266
 Post subject: Re: Gigaton: Official album thread
PostPosted: Sun July 19, 2020 5:05 pm 
AnalLog

VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
I always expect to be in love with a pj album. Except for LB, it always happened. Gigaton, exceeded my own expectations with how good and great it sounds.

Sure. I expect to love a new Pearl Jam album, too, in that way that fans love things. That's why I'm still a fan and I keep buying their shit. But I don't expect to be moved the way I used to. At this point in there career, I expect a decent enough record with two or three songs that I adore and maybe one that I don't care for at all. Gigaton far exceeded my wildest expectations for what a new Pearl Jam album, at this point in their careers, could be/do.

i get that, i guess im lucky that even LB has moments were im totally moved. Sirens for example, or Yellow Moon they just get me.

Two songs that perhaps would have benefitted from Josh Evans/home studio treatment.

PostPosted: Sun July 19, 2020 5:09 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

RockPusher wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
I always expect to be in love with a pj album. Except for LB, it always happened. Gigaton, exceeded my own expectations with how good and great it sounds.

Sure. I expect to love a new Pearl Jam album, too, in that way that fans love things. That's why I'm still a fan and I keep buying their shit. But I don't expect to be moved the way I used to. At this point in there career, I expect a decent enough record with two or three songs that I adore and maybe one that I don't care for at all. Gigaton far exceeded my wildest expectations for what a new Pearl Jam album, at this point in their careers, could be/do.

i get that, i guess im lucky that even LB has moments were im totally moved. Sirens for example, or Yellow Moon they just get me.

Two songs that perhaps would have benefitted from Josh Evans/home studio treatment.

The whole album would be so much better with Josh. But still, LB grabbed me at time. The outro in Getaway, Mind Your Manners, My Fathers Son, Sirens, Pendulum and Yellow Moon remain as favorites.

Pendulum live is fucking amazing.

PostPosted: Sun July 19, 2020 5:17 pm 
Poster of the Year

Birds in Hell wrote:
Jorge wrote:
Thurman Murman wrote:
Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
I'm amazed by the reaction that this album has gotten, because to me it just sounds like a (slightly different) continuation of the crap songwriting on their last 3 albums.

But it does make me happy that PJ is getting some love again.

I can certainly appreciate that not everyone is going to love this album, but i have a hard time imagining anyone lumping it in with the prior two albums.

For me, Gigaton answered the question: "if Pearl Jam released an album that sounded like they cared, that showed a level of inspiration and craft beyond the perfunctory nature of the last decade of their career, would my fandom be reactivated?" The answer, as it turns out, is "not really." The first sign was when everyone here was raving about DOTC and I just felt like... "huh." They do just about everything right on Gigaton, but I think their sound and their overall creative identity just doesn't resonate with me anymore. That's cool, it's not Gigaton's fault, I'm just not really in the market for this type of music right now. I don't see myself revisiting the album beyond "Buckle Up" and "Take the Long Way," both of which are fantastic songs that I genuinely enjoy, and both of which kind of don't sound like 2020 Pearl Jam. While there is a lot to admire on the rest of Gigaton, I'm totally cool with appreciating it from a distance, and being glad that it makes other people happy. It's as amicable a breakup as you could have.

I liked DOTC a lot (and still do) - but otherwise this is me too.

Yeah this is where I'm falling with this record at this point.

PostPosted: Sun July 19, 2020 5:54 pm 
tl;dr

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Jorge wrote:
Thurman Murman wrote:
I'm amazed by the reaction that this album has gotten, because to me it just sounds like a (slightly different) continuation of the crap songwriting on their last 3 albums.

I can certainly appreciate that not everyone is going to love this album, but i have a hard time imagining anyone lumping it in with the prior two albums.

For me, Gigaton answered the question: "if Pearl Jam released an album that sounded like they cared, that showed a level of inspiration and craft beyond the perfunctory nature of the last decade of their career, would my fandom be reactivated?" The answer, as it turns out, is "not really." The first sign was when everyone here was raving about DOTC and I just felt like... "huh." They do just about everything right on Gigaton, but I think their sound and their overall creative identity just doesn't resonate with me anymore. That's cool, it's not Gigaton's fault, I'm just not really in the market for this type of music right now. I don't see myself revisiting the album beyond "Buckle Up" and "Take the Long Way," both of which are fantastic songs that I genuinely enjoy, and both of which kind of don't sound like 2020 Pearl Jam. While there is a lot to admire on the rest of Gigaton, I'm totally cool with appreciating it from a distance, and being glad that it makes other people happy. It's as amicable a breakup as you could have.

I think I get more active enjoyment from the album than you guys are getting but I definitely relate to this feeling (in more than a few contexts, really). Gigaton exceeded my expectations but hasn't managed to instantly negate the effects of 10-ish years being relatively cool on the band's output, and I haven't felt much of a call to revisit it since the first month/month-and-a-half or so. I imagine I'll come back to it and like it, but other people who are saying they're still playing it 3-4 times a week, having the same reactions to it that they had to Yield and Binaural -- I haven't experienced that. Other kinds of music hold the key to that part of my brain nowadays.

PostPosted: Sun July 19, 2020 5:55 pm 
Poster of the Year

Kevin Davis wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Jorge wrote:
Thurman Murman wrote:

I think I get more active enjoyment from the album than you guys are getting but I definitely relate to this feeling (in more than a few contexts, really). Gigaton exceeded my expectations but hasn't managed to instantly negate the effects of 10-ish years being relatively cool on the band's output, and I haven't felt much of a call to revisit it since the first month/month-and-a-half or so. I imagine I'll come back to it and like it, but other people who are saying they're still playing it 3-4 times a week, having the same reactions to it that they had to Yield and Binaural -- I haven't experienced that. Other kinds of music hold the key to that part of my brain nowadays.

We'll always have Paris.

PostPosted: Sun July 19, 2020 6:16 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Same

PostPosted: Sun July 19, 2020 6:19 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Kevin Davis wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Jorge wrote:
Thurman Murman wrote:

I think, like TVG, I've gotten a lot more out of the last ten years than y'all have. Which is probably why, though I totally understand it, I don't relate as much to this sentiment.

PostPosted: Sun July 19, 2020 6:35 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, and i always had a, lets call it, fight with pj albums. So its not new to me to grab ST and say fuuuuuck this is awesome ten years after they release it.

Gigaton was the first one i truly loved since ST actually, and it so far i consider it their best work since Binaural, maybe Yield.

PostPosted: Sun July 19, 2020 7:18 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

durdencommatyler wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Jorge wrote:
Thurman Murman wrote:

I think, like TVG, I've gotten a lot more out of the last ten years than y'all have. Which is probably why, though I totally understand it, I don't relate as much to this sentiment.

I can’t stand most of Backspacer and Lightning Bolt, and I was definitely far less into PJ over the last decade because of it. And my musical taste have changed some and expanded to different bands and sounds in that decade. I never thought PJ would release a new album that I would love with as much excitement and certainty as the pre Riot Act days. I never thought PJ could really surprise me again. I certainly never expected a complete album that felt like a compelling work of art again. Gigaton exceeds every possible preconceived notion I had. I like or love every song. The only PJ album that I can definitively say that I like more is Binaural. Gigaton still sits as my second favorite PJ album, and that’s a shocking accomplishment 30 years into their career. Not only do I love Gigaton, it has reengaged me with the earlier music in a way that had been dormant for at least a decade.

PostPosted: Sun July 19, 2020 8:53 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PHATJ wrote:
I can’t stand most of Backspacer and Lightning Bolt, and I was definitely far less into PJ over the last decade because of it. And my musical taste have changed some and expanded to different bands and sounds in that decade. I never thought PJ would release a new album that I would love with as much excitement and certainty as the pre Riot Act days. I never thought PJ could really surprise me again. I certainly never expected a complete album that felt like a compelling work of art again. Gigaton exceeds every possible preconceived notion I had. I like or love every song. The only PJ album that I can definitively say that I like more is Binaural. Gigaton still sits as my second favorite PJ album, and that’s a shocking accomplishment 30 years into their career. Not only do I love Gigaton, it has reengaged me with the earlier music in a way that had been dormant for at least a decade.

I think Backspacer is basically a pleasant aside that suffers for not having anything to be an aside from (ie being the only release in a 7 year stretch), and Gigaton is currently 4th or 5th on my list, but otherwise this is me.

PostPosted: Sun July 19, 2020 9:33 pm 
Rank This Poster

McParadigm wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

I think Backspacer is basically a pleasant aside that suffers for not having anything to be an aside from (ie being the only release in a 7 year stretch), and Gigaton is currently 4th or 5th on my list, but otherwise this is me.

Same.

PostPosted: Sun July 19, 2020 10:03 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Backspacer was hard at first. It was a surprise in the same way Binaural was. Super different music from what i expected. But i do love that one.

PostPosted: Mon July 20, 2020 3:48 pm 
AnalLog

PHATJ wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Jorge wrote:
Thurman Murman wrote:

You speak for me, though I do hold BS and LB in higher esteem than you. “Vinyly awoke” with Gigaton this morning. Engaging is definitely the word I would use. Soooooo engaging.

PostPosted: Tue July 21, 2020 5:42 am 

RockPusher wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Jorge wrote:
Thurman Murman wrote:

You speak for me, though I do hold BS and LB in higher esteem than you. “Vinyly awoke” with Gigaton this morning. Engaging is definitely the word I would use. Soooooo engaging.

Soooooooo engaging.

Totes Magrotes.

PostPosted: Sat July 25, 2020 3:50 pm 
AnalLog

Listened straight through again today and DAMN, this is an amazing album!!!

PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2020 2:35 am 
what on earth am I talking about

McParadigm wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

Can’t agree. Backspacer is absolutely vital coming after the previous. What Else were they going to do after ST? More of the same? Pretend it doesn’t exist and go ST then LB and you’ll see how dire the situation is without it and hopefully see how important it actually is.

PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2020 2:49 am 

dimejinky99 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

Can’t agree. Backspacer is absolutely vital coming after the previous. What Else were they going to do after ST? More of the same? Pretend it doesn’t exist and go ST then LB and you’ll see how dire the situation is without it and hopefully see how important it actually is.

Backspacer is dumb. LB is dumber.

PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2020 3:08 am 
Rank This Poster

PHATJ wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

Backspacer is dumb. LB is dumber.

Put the Speed of Sound demo in place of the full band abortion and this is a great record.

PostPosted: Tue July 28, 2020 6:05 pm 
Banned from the Pit

dimejinky99 wrote:
Thurman Murman wrote:

It rose from the ashes of the previous two.

It’s a return to form.

Seriously I don’t see how we get this one without the previous two.
Sounds like a natural follow on of both combined with all pjs best elements and some brand spanking new ones.

This...not to mention BS is severely underrated

PostPosted: Tue July 28, 2020 6:36 pm 
The Master

Backspacer makes it halfway to being a really fun, good album. Then that middle stretch hits and it is the worst 3 song stretch in their career (Amongst the Waves-Supersonic).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23637 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1080, 1081, 1082, 1083, 1084, 1085, 1086 ... 1182  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam