The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23637 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1178, 1179, 1180, 1181, 1182

Early Impressions
5 stars 26%  26%  [ 70 ]
4 stars 53%  53%  [ 142 ]
3 stars 12%  12%  [ 31 ]
2 star 6%  6%  [ 16 ]
1 star 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 266
 Post subject: Re: Gigaton: Official album thread
PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 10:34 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Ms Harmless wrote:
Retrograde is so much better than it gets credit for

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 2:04 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Fattie_Vedder wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
Retrograde is so much better than it gets credit for

100%

It took a while for me for it to click, but it’s paying off on years of trying to get this sound right. It’s got that REM jangliness to it that Swallowed Whole also has, but instead of just kind of end and leaving no taste to it, Retrograde devolves into that outro jam that could have ended the album in its grandness. I love River Cross and all, and I think there’s no other placement for that kind of song, but had the album ended with that final blast it would have been mind blowing.

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 2:45 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Yeah I didn’t liked it at first because it kinda sounded like something from LB in a way. Also Brendan was playing some keyboards and I kinda thought Mm this one belongs to the other sessions.

But it clicked and now it’s a great song for me. Of course the ending is huge but I agree it has also some REM melody approach I like a lot.

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 4:37 pm 
AnalLog

VinylGuy wrote:
Also, the jam at the end of Never Destination is so good...Jeff´s bass is tasty af and the guitars are locked in very Yield vibey.

I said it at the time, but kinda reminds me of Black Red Yellow

BRY is an excellent comparison to my ears.

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 5:14 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

guitar_davey wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Also, the jam at the end of Never Destination is so good...Jeff´s bass is tasty af and the guitars are locked in very Yield vibey.

I said it at the time, but kinda reminds me of Black Red Yellow

BRY is an excellent comparison to my ears.

Yeah that jam at the end is very 1998 Pearl Jam.

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 5:32 pm 
The worst

its what Im hoping wreckage sounds like

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 9:02 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

stip wrote:
its what Im hoping wreckage sounds like

Seems this one will be closer to Long Way

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 9:22 pm 
The worst

less exciting. though long way is nice - just needed more lyrics

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 9:34 pm 
She / Her

I think it's more the tempo of Long Way according to the metal door clip, but hopefully it's more interesting and takes a few twists and turns

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 11:34 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Well I said Long Way because everyone kept telling us about the Tom Petty Influence and Lon Way is so much that that even Benmont is playing piano

PostPosted: Mon April 01, 2024 9:32 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I am chatting with a fellow Pearl Jam fan at a picnic the day after the Asbury Park show, waiting to head back to the festival for day two, and I casually and unironically state that I love a good Tom Petty song and how classic it all sounds, and I hear Eddie Vedder jump in, and it’s Long Way. And I had already heard the song several dozen times by then.

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 12:58 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I had it with 4 stars, but I'll give it 3 now.

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 2:22 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I just listed to this album I think I mostly like it.

Alright, Retrograde, and Quick Escape got the "most improved" award. I didn't hate those songs, but finally after 3 or 4 years I finally like them.

I'm not sure what to think of TTLW... It's interesting. Snappy punk, but also with quirky alt. rock vibes. I think I like it and this one will grow on me more.

I still really like SBWM. That groove coming off the solo and when Ed comes back in is one of my favorite PJ moments. It totally makes up for the word salad to me.

Still not sure what to make of Buckle Up. I usually love the Stone songs / compositions, especially Mankind and Sunburn, but hmm, I just don't know. I hate the "Buuuuuckllle Uuuuup" parts, but I kinda like the music. This is like Evacuation all over for me :). Cool music, not sure about the singing and chorus though.

Seven O' Clock was one of my initial favorites, but I think it's been passed up by some of the others now. I still like it, but there are a lot of words and takes a little too long to grab me.

River Cross is a cool closer with the Long Road vibes.

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 2:39 pm 
The worst

darth_vedder wrote:

Alright, Retrograde, and Quick Escape got the "most improved" award. I didn't hate those songs, but finally after 3 or 4 years I finally like them.

I'm not sure what to think of TTLW... It's interesting. Snappy punk, but also with quirky alt. rock vibes. I think I like it and this one will grow on me more.

I still really like SBWM. That groove coming off the solo and when Ed comes back in is one of my favorite PJ moments. It totally makes up for the word salad to me.

Still not sure what to make of Buckle Up. I usually love the Stone songs / compositions, especially Mankind and Sunburn, but hmm, I just don't know. I hate the "Buuuuuckllle Uuuuup" parts, but I kinda like the music. This is like Evacuation all over for me :). Cool music, not sure about the singing and chorus though.

Seven O' Clock was one of my initial favorites, but I think it's been passed up by some of the others now. I still like it, but there are a lot of words and takes a little too long to grab me.

is there anything that drags it down for you? that read as more like than mostly like

and the end of sbwm is so good. that is a song that just gets better by the second. if it went on for another 60 minutes it probably would have cured cancer

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 2:55 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

stip wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

is there anything that drags it down for you? that read as more like than mostly like

and the end of sbwm is so good. that is a song that just gets better by the second. if it went on for another 60 minutes it probably would have cured cancer

I suppose I do mostly like it. I don't think there is anything on the album I particularly hate. Buckle Up has music I like, but the singing / chorus; yikes. So I guess that song would be the drag so to speak.

Prior to the re-listen, I wasn't feeling Alright, QE Retro, or TTLW. Now I think I mostly like all 4, so coupled with songs I already liked (C&G, DOTC, SBWM) and we're looking at a solid all around album.

At this point, it's pretty much what I'd expect from a PJ album. Meaning, for like 30 some odd years there have been songs I love, don't love, and in between on each album. Many times, after multiple listens and as years pass by, many songs tend to grow on me. Gigaton is no exception.

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 10:15 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I think Never Destination, It's alright, Buckle up and Take the long way are all subpar songs. And SBWM is average at best.

PostPosted: Fri April 26, 2024 9:16 pm 
She / Her

I listened to this again today

I still love it, but I've got so used to Ed's voice sitting back so nicely with the instruments on Dark Matter that he sounded obtrusively loud on this, it's so weird

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23637 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1178, 1179, 1180, 1181, 1182

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam