The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23635 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232 ... 1182  Next

Early Impressions
5 stars 26%  26%  [ 69 ]
4 stars 54%  54%  [ 144 ]
3 stars 11%  11%  [ 30 ]
2 star 6%  6%  [ 16 ]
1 star 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 266
 Post subject: Re: 11th album rumors and speculation
PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 11:16 pm 
The worst

Bammer wrote:
coptheriotact wrote:
Any new music put out will have production shortcuts, average performances and no real experimentation, they just want to write songs that will easily translate to a stadium show, and let BOB flesh the sound out in stale way. I don’t think I want a new album. Even the artwork is terrible now.

Yeah the artwork sucks. Didn’t LB win a grammy for packaging? WTF.

Lightning Bolt had fantastic artwork.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 11:17 pm 
The worst

bodysnatcher wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Do you guys even want a new album? Like, stop and think about it. Think about the quality of their last couple records. Think about “Can’t Deny Me”. Do you really, truly care about this? Deep down?

of course we do, RM's cynicism in growing stale, and a new album will definitely push things forward

several threads can benefit from a new albums. PRAMG and Ed Art, among others.

plus, we get to see how many ocean/waves reference Ed can come up with!

if nothing else!

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 11:21 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Welcome back, stip. I thought the LB artwork was pretty cool too. Admittedly, I haven’t looked at it in a few years.

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 11:26 pm 
known prankster

littlecomment wrote:
joostone wrote:
Tuolumne wrote:
I'm not reading this the way you guys are (big surprise!) because:
- They have gotten together in the studio 4-5 times and have lots of material, according to Stone.
- They've toured on an off over the last 3 years, and by all experiences have been joyful events among the band

So, they are not short on material and they are not afraid of or in conflict with one another. Neither of those factors seem to be the problem.

I believe the problem is creative direction. And, yes, maybe they just don't like the material they've come up with so far. So, yeah, maybe it's a creative dry spell. Or, they just don't know how to move forward from this point, after a HoF induction and CC's passing and DT's election, I'm guessing what might be going through his mind might be that if they're going to put something out, it should add something new to the catalogue, or it should somehow encompass all of what they are feeling given the aforementioned events.

Another thought behind it is just the music industry. This is an album oriented band, and what do albums mean anymore? If they are going to spend 6 weeks finishing off their material, they don't want it to just disappear into the ether like everything these days, so what's the point? I'm thinking all of these questions might be going through their minds.

The problem is not creativity but creative direction. Stone and Jeff make it clear that they want to record more and that there are plenty of songs, or song ideas. Jeff released excellent side-projects the last decade. But somehow this band became less collaborative over the years, it's really Ed who has all the creative control. Basically Stone and Jeff are waiting for him to put a little fixin' on it. So, the band should take a different creative direction, Ed needs to give some creative control back to the guys. I have no problem with Stone and Jeff having more control at this point. I remember reading in 2008 that the band had some writing sessions without Ed in Montana, even BO'B was present. Whatever they wrote Ed did not like it, cause I believe 'Amongst the Wave' (or supersonic...cant remember) was the only used song from that session. So the guys had a two week session, and nothing was used. So why bother?

It's also interesting that after 'No Code' Ed asked to guys to help writing lyrics. The Yield-Binaural-Riot Act stretch proved to be the most fruitfull era for the band. But when the 'S/T' record came out Ed fully grasped control over the lyrics again. Ed was on some sort of mission back then. 'S/T' was released in 2006, 'Into the Wild' in 2007. On ITW he proved that he was still growing as a musician, all of sudden he was playing all the instruments and fingerpicking guitars. 'Backspacer' came on the shoulder of that creative spur. And that was 10 years ago!! The last decade we saw Ed repeating himself on LB and releasing another solo-record (one that was written in 2001!!).

It is interesting that during No Code and 3 albums after, Ed did not seem to have any issue going off the reservation with musical styles, and as you noted, even delegating songwriting. Was his approach from S/T beyond taken out of possible fear the band was starting to head towards irrelevancy, their live successes notwithstanding? Was he maybe looking to cement their legacy/RRHOF credentials and also connect to the next generation of fans? Now that those things are accomplished, they really *should* be playing with house money and willing to explore all avenues once again.

Quote:
Now, Pearl Jam are in the process of reclaiming their long-abandoned place at rock’s forefront. “They’re fresh, they’re hungry and they’re loaded for bear,” says BMG chief Clive Davis, who recently signed them to the second major-label deal of their career. In May, they released Pearl Jam, an album bristling with anti-Bush, punk-rock energy. It is, by universal acclaim, their best work since 1994’s Vitalogy – and the first one since their debut, 1991’s Ten, to demand attention with unabashed anthems. “I feel like we’ve been handing in our work on time, and we’ve been getting A’s and B’s, but we haven’t really raised our hand and spoken out in class,” says Vedder. “This record is us speaking out in class.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ng-237589/

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2019 1:58 am 
Mind Your Tanners

I really liked the LB artwork, besides, artwork is last in the things I am concerned about when it comes to this band.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2019 1:59 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

the way that PJ puts out a bid for album art now and has it produced by a 3rd party is sickening

just shows how little Ed gives a sh1t about the band anymore

Why not just use Ames Bros if Ed no longer wants to spend any time making his doodles

LB's art was terrible

they basically work with consultants at this point

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2019 2:08 am 
The Master

Im just preparing for another paint by the numbers pearl jam. Ask me 1-2 years ago and I was probably confident they'd act like "Artists" again and give us something that is at least unique and challenging.

Now im convinced it will just be another similar trip around the block for a 3 year period.

I do hope im wrong.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2019 2:11 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i have been hoping for an 'artists' PJ album for some time

perplexing it hasn't arrived

they have nothing left to prove and should feel to do whatever they want

but sadly whatever they want is to do nothing (paraphrasing some famous RMer here)

at this point I very much do not care if there is another album because it is clear it will suck

but i do want them to continue to tour so that i can see them with my bros

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2019 3:19 am 
mXn

stip wrote:
Bammer wrote:
coptheriotact wrote:
Any new music put out will have production shortcuts, average performances and no real experimentation, they just want to write songs that will easily translate to a stadium show, and let BOB flesh the sound out in stale way. I don’t think I want a new album. Even the artwork is terrible now.

Yeah the artwork sucks. Didn’t LB win a grammy for packaging? WTF.

Lightning Bolt had fantastic artwork.

Wrong, sir! Wrong!

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2019 6:06 am 
Rank This Poster

I did think the LB artwork was quality, though I felt like there was a mismatch between the album art and the album itself. I don't really have the language to speak about it in artistic terms, but the feel of the music felt far different than the cover art, for example.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2019 6:15 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

It looked like album art for a ska record

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2019 6:40 am 
Mind Your Tanners

digster wrote:
I did think the LB artwork was quality, though I felt like there was a mismatch between the album art and the album itself. I don't really have the language to speak about it in artistic terms, but the feel of the music felt far different than the cover art, for example.

Yeah. This was the impression I was left with too. I was really excited when they released the artwork, but then there was a huge disconnect to the music

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2019 7:11 am 
mXn

Rank the album artwork

Vs.
Vitalogy
Binaural
Yield
No Code
Ten
Riot Act
Avocado
LB
Backspacer

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2019 8:19 am 
AnalLog

lecherouslittlestump wrote:
littlecomment wrote:
joostone wrote:
Tuolumne wrote:
I'm not reading this the way you guys are (big surprise!) because:
- They have gotten together in the studio 4-5 times and have lots of material, according to Stone.
- They've toured on an off over the last 3 years, and by all experiences have been joyful events among the band

So, they are not short on material and they are not afraid of or in conflict with one another. Neither of those factors seem to be the problem.

I believe the problem is creative direction. And, yes, maybe they just don't like the material they've come up with so far. So, yeah, maybe it's a creative dry spell. Or, they just don't know how to move forward from this point, after a HoF induction and CC's passing and DT's election, I'm guessing what might be going through his mind might be that if they're going to put something out, it should add something new to the catalogue, or it should somehow encompass all of what they are feeling given the aforementioned events.

Another thought behind it is just the music industry. This is an album oriented band, and what do albums mean anymore? If they are going to spend 6 weeks finishing off their material, they don't want it to just disappear into the ether like everything these days, so what's the point? I'm thinking all of these questions might be going through their minds.

The problem is not creativity but creative direction. Stone and Jeff make it clear that they want to record more and that there are plenty of songs, or song ideas. Jeff released excellent side-projects the last decade. But somehow this band became less collaborative over the years, it's really Ed who has all the creative control. Basically Stone and Jeff are waiting for him to put a little fixin' on it. So, the band should take a different creative direction, Ed needs to give some creative control back to the guys. I have no problem with Stone and Jeff having more control at this point. I remember reading in 2008 that the band had some writing sessions without Ed in Montana, even BO'B was present. Whatever they wrote Ed did not like it, cause I believe 'Amongst the Wave' (or supersonic...cant remember) was the only used song from that session. So the guys had a two week session, and nothing was used. So why bother?

It's also interesting that after 'No Code' Ed asked to guys to help writing lyrics. The Yield-Binaural-Riot Act stretch proved to be the most fruitfull era for the band. But when the 'S/T' record came out Ed fully grasped control over the lyrics again. Ed was on some sort of mission back then. 'S/T' was released in 2006, 'Into the Wild' in 2007. On ITW he proved that he was still growing as a musician, all of sudden he was playing all the instruments and fingerpicking guitars. 'Backspacer' came on the shoulder of that creative spur. And that was 10 years ago!! The last decade we saw Ed repeating himself on LB and releasing another solo-record (one that was written in 2001!!).

It is interesting that during No Code and 3 albums after, Ed did not seem to have any issue going off the reservation with musical styles, and as you noted, even delegating songwriting. Was his approach from S/T beyond taken out of possible fear the band was starting to head towards irrelevancy, their live successes notwithstanding? Was he maybe looking to cement their legacy/RRHOF credentials and also connect to the next generation of fans? Now that those things are accomplished, they really *should* be playing with house money and willing to explore all avenues once again.

Quote:
Now, Pearl Jam are in the process of reclaiming their long-abandoned place at rock’s forefront. “They’re fresh, they’re hungry and they’re loaded for bear,” says BMG chief Clive Davis, who recently signed them to the second major-label deal of their career. In May, they released Pearl Jam, an album bristling with anti-Bush, punk-rock energy. It is, by universal acclaim, their best work since 1994’s Vitalogy – and the first one since their debut, 1991’s Ten, to demand attention with unabashed anthems. “I feel like we’ve been handing in our work on time, and we’ve been getting A’s and B’s, but we haven’t really raised our hand and spoken out in class,” says Vedder. “This record is us speaking out in class.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ng-237589/

Yes. And from a business point of view they made excellent choices. Riot Act was a commercial failure for the band, but what an awesome record it is ;). It's just that the 2006-2009 run made them a headlining act again. S/T and BS were radiofriendly records, and lets not forget the impact of ITW on new fans. Basically 2009 was their 1995 again, they could have done whatever to f#ck they want. But choose to do very little....

blueviper wrote:
PJ should dust of "Anything in Between" it's a cool demo and I don't know why it wasn't used.

Yes!! Or 2x4. Hereby I present you the tracklisting for the next album ;) :

-Believe you me
-Anything in between
-2X4
-Indian Beatles (never heard this one, but should be a great VS outtake..)
-Of the Earth
-Last Soldier
-Falling Down

And the artwork for this record was done by Jeff!

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2019 8:57 am 

It does feel significant that Riot Act was the last Pearl Jam album Jeff was involved in making the artwork for.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2019 9:10 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bammer wrote:
Rank the album artwork

Vs.
Vitalogy
Binaural
Yield
No Code
Ten
Riot Act
Avocado
LB
Backspacer

Is this cover only, or including booklet?

Cover:

Riot Act
No Code
Yield
Binaural
VS
Vitalogy
Ten
Lightning Bolt
Backspacer
S/T

Including booklet/total packaging:
Vitalogy
No Code
Yield
Riot Act
Binaural
Lightning Bolt
VS
Backspacer
Ten
(a turd)
S/T

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2019 9:25 am 

Cover art only:

No Code
Ten
Vs
Yield
Vitalogy
Riot Act
Binaural
Backspacer
Lightning Bolt
Pearl Jam

No Code excepted, their album artwork hasn't been particularly good.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2019 10:03 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

coverart:
1. No Code
2. Vitalogy
3. Riot Act
4. Yield
5. Vs.
6. Binaural
7. Backspacer
8. Ten
9. Lightning Bolt
10. Avid Cado

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2019 12:46 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Cover art rankings(this will piss you all off:)

1 Vitaogy
2 Yield
3 Avocado
4 Riot Act
5 No Code
6 Lightning Bolt
7 Binaural
8 Vs
9 Backspacer
10 Ten

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2019 12:51 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Vitalogy
Yield
Backspacer (I like the art style -- what can I say?)
Ten
Binaural
Riot Act
No Code
Vs
Lightning Bolt
Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23635 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232 ... 1182  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam