Let the Records Play
Gonna See My Friend
Infallible
Force of Nature
Unthought Known
Yellow Moon

Re: Your 12 Song Avocado/Backspacer/Lightning Bolt Mix

Sun January 04, 2015 10:21 pm

samiad wrote:Well, if everyone was picking the same set of songs, it might indicate that there is a large chunk of material on these records that ain't all that good.

However, I'd say most songs, apart from, I dunno - "Gone" - have been chosen by a number of people - and the tracklists are wildly different. So maybe we don't all collectively dislike these records are much as we think.

I still hold to the idea that Avocado is a steaming turd. The songs themselves have some vague potential, but they all sound horrible on that record, and no matter how hard I try - I just can't get into any of it. But you guys seem to be giving it serious love on your tracklists...

Maybe people had the same problem I did; finding 12 songs quality enough to make a record that could stand with their other stuff. Even with 12 choices, I had to pick some songs with pretty big issues.

Sun January 04, 2015 10:55 pm

Getaway
Got Some
Unthought Known
Mind Your Manners
Marker In The Sand
Amongst The Waves
Force Of Nature
Parachutes
Yellow Moon
Future Days
Inside Job
Come Back

Sun January 04, 2015 11:04 pm

1 Pendulum
2 Severed Hand
3 Life Wasted
4 Worldwide Suicide
5 My Fathers Son
6 Johnny Guitar
7 Parachutes
8 Sirens
9 Lightning Bolt
10 Infallible
11 Come Back
12 Sleeping By Myself

Something like that. It was too difficult to fit in more Backspacer - I feel like they improved on the best Backspacer ideas on Lightning Bolt.

Sun January 04, 2015 11:10 pm

digster wrote:
samiad wrote:Well, if everyone was picking the same set of songs, it might indicate that there is a large chunk of material on these records that ain't all that good.

However, I'd say most songs, apart from, I dunno - "Gone" - have been chosen by a number of people - and the tracklists are wildly different. So maybe we don't all collectively dislike these records are much as we think.

I still hold to the idea that Avocado is a steaming turd. The songs themselves have some vague potential, but they all sound horrible on that record, and no matter how hard I try - I just can't get into any of it. But you guys seem to be giving it serious love on your tracklists...

Maybe people had the same problem I did; finding 12 songs quality enough to make a record that could stand with their other stuff. Even with 12 choices, I had to pick some songs with pretty big issues.

Yeah. I couldn't put together a mix of 12 songs I'd make it more than halfway through. I would veer towards thinking it meant the opposite, there are so many different songs being picked because there are just that few good songs to start with. I mean, did anyone have a tough time with the last few tracks because they were like "OH MAN I CAN'T LEAVE OFF THAT SONG, IT'S JUST TOO TOO GOOD!"?

Mon January 05, 2015 12:01 am

I've tried doing this a few times and given up, largely because I have a tough time combining the self-titled material with that of the later records.

I hadn't given thought to making it a compilation of my favourite 12 songs from those records, though - that would end up being quite different to my attempts to curate a well-flowing mix (that still excludes any songs I really don't care for).

Mon January 05, 2015 12:13 am

Pendulum
life wasted
got some
mind your manners
severed hand
my fathers son
wws
speed of sound
parachutes
getaway
comatose
yellow.moon

Wow a lot of my favorite ones are out. I might change this..

Mon January 05, 2015 12:14 am

Lament wrote:
digster wrote:

Yeah. I couldn't put together a mix of 12 songs I'd make it more than halfway through. I would veer towards thinking it meant the opposite, there are so many different songs being picked because there are just that few good songs to start with. I mean, did anyone have a tough time with the last few tracks because they were like "OH MAN I CAN'T LEAVE OFF THAT SONG, IT'S JUST TOO TOO GOOD!"?

:wave:

Mon January 05, 2015 12:16 am

stip wrote:
Lament wrote:Yeah. I couldn't put together a mix of 12 songs I'd make it more than halfway through. I would veer towards thinking it meant the opposite, there are so many different songs being picked because there are just that few good songs to start with. I mean, did anyone have a tough time with the last few tracks because they were like "OH MAN I CAN'T LEAVE OFF THAT SONG, IT'S JUST TOO TOO GOOD!"?

:wave:

You can have the 8-9 leftover slots from my 12 song mix.

Mon January 05, 2015 12:38 am

It'll help

Mon January 05, 2015 1:23 am

Actually I had 20 songs I was choosing from, so your 8 slots is just what I needed.

WHAT A TEAM!

Mon January 05, 2015 1:29 am

Mon January 05, 2015 2:50 am

Harder than I originally thought...

1. Pendulum
2. My Father's Son
3. Got Some

4. Infallible.
5. Forces of Nature
6. Unthought Known

7. Amongst the waves
8. Speed of Sound
9. Mind Your Manners

10. Comatose
11. Yellow Moon
12. Inside Job

Also, loving all of the Pendulum openers. Guess quite a few people are yearning for the No Code style opener. haha

Mon January 05, 2015 2:52 am

Birds in Hell wrote:I've tried doing this a few times and given up, largely because I have a tough time combining the self-titled material with that of the later records.

This. S/T doesn't fit with Backspacer or Lightning Bolt.

Mon January 05, 2015 4:06 pm

Pendulum
Lightning Bolt
Worldwide Suicide
Force of Nature
Yellow Moon
Getaway
Mind Your Manners
Parachutes
Got Some
Sleeping By Myself
Unthought Known
Come Back

Mon January 05, 2015 4:20 pm

ABNorman wrote:1 Pendulum
2 Severed Hand
3 Life Wasted
4 Worldwide Suicide
5 My Fathers Son
6 Johnny Guitar
7 Parachutes
8 Sirens
9 Lightning Bolt
10 Infallible
11 Come Back
12 Sleeping By Myself

Something like that. It was too difficult to fit in more Backspacer - I feel like they improved on the best Backspacer ideas on Lightning Bolt.

I really like this one.

Mon January 05, 2015 4:21 pm

Birds in Hell wrote:I've tried doing this a few times and given up, largely because I have a tough time combining the self-titled material with that of the later records.

Just use live versions. :mrgreen:

Mon January 05, 2015 4:25 pm

THATS AGAINST THE RULES

Mon January 05, 2015 4:28 pm

My dad would say, that Kevin Davis is one sharp cookie. And I'd say, but dad why on earth is that a good thing? Who wants to eat a sharp cookie? Then my dad would drink vodka and roll his eyes.
Post a reply