The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lets Actually Listen to the Album: Riot Act
PostPosted: Fri November 18, 2016 9:11 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

bodysnatcher wrote:
"To myself I surrender / To the one I'll never please" might be the single most hard-hitting, personal PJ lyric that I connect with. Fucking kills to hear it. Lump-in-the-throat, every time.

i agree. Its amazing...and he nails it.

Fuck All or none is such a great song.

PostPosted: Fri November 18, 2016 9:12 pm 
Posting (live)

VinylGuy wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
"To myself I surrender / To the one I'll never please" might be the single most hard-hitting, personal PJ lyric that I connect with. Fucking kills to hear it. Lump-in-the-throat, every time.

i agree. Its amazing...and he nails it.

Fuck All or none is such a great song.

Oh yes.

PostPosted: Sat November 19, 2016 3:27 am 
Rank This Poster

I don't really have any problems with Bushleaguer. Spoken lyrics and all.

PostPosted: Sat November 19, 2016 3:54 am 
The Master

Leatherhead wrote:

PostPosted: Sat November 19, 2016 5:59 am 
Rank This Poster

I sorta agree, it's very pleasant to hear

PostPosted: Sat November 19, 2016 1:19 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Leatherhead wrote:

I think the music is great but i kinda wish it would be different. But its a pretty cool performance.

PostPosted: Sat November 19, 2016 4:30 pm 
Banned from the Pit

bodysnatcher wrote:

Long time lurker here, listen to the Vic boot where they opened with All or None and that line is a sing along

PostPosted: Mon November 21, 2016 5:45 pm 
The Master

A lot of the rockers on this album seem to be similar and forgettable at first listen, but each one has really grabbed my attention at different points in the past 14 years.

PostPosted: Wed January 29, 2020 3:50 pm 
The Master

Listened to this last night for my annual "it's a cold and kind of depressing winter day" revisit.

This deserved a proper follow up. I adore so many things about it and is has become the album I revisit the most. Everything about it has aged so gracefully (the production, lyrics, writing, themes).

I've always found Love Boat Captain to ride the line between hokey and genuinely moving. Sometimes I fall on one side, and sometimes on the other. Last night the final delivery of the chorus ("Hold me, and make it the truth, That when all is lost there will be you, 'Cause to the universe I don't mean a thing And there's just one word I still believe And it's love") just hit me so hard I felt weak in the knees. That is the Pearl Jam I think we all fell for and it's the one I hope we get back.

PostPosted: Wed January 29, 2020 4:56 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

I never knew what those lyrics were until now! That’s much better than “hold me and make effort too”, which I presumed wasn’t the real lyric but I’ve been mentally using as a placeholder for the last 17 years. The next line was just phonetic noises.

PostPosted: Wed January 29, 2020 5:19 pm 
The worst

Im glad you found it moving, but I found LBC to be maybe the flatest song on the album. It never did much for me but is one of the RA songs that hasnt unlocked with time

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed January 29, 2020 6:11 pm 
The Master

stip wrote:
Im glad you found it moving, but I found LBC to be maybe the flatest song on the album. It never did much for me but is one of the RA songs that hasnt unlocked with time

I think we are often just looking for different things with the band. Binaural and Riot Act are in my top 4.

PostPosted: Wed January 29, 2020 6:15 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Uneven record. Some top shelf songs in there, but it can be a bit of a slog to listen straight through.

PostPosted: Fri April 05, 2024 9:26 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

EJ wrote:
Uneven record. Some top shelf songs in there, but it can be a bit of a slog to listen straight through.

Difficult to disagree with this. Love the warmth of the album though.

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2024 3:01 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Riot Act’s turn!

Riot Act: Can’t Keep, Save You, Love Boat Captain, Cropduster, Ghost, I Am Mine, Thumbing My Way, You Are, Get Right, Green Disease, HelpHelp, Bu$hleaguer, 1/2 Full, Arc, All or None

B-sides: I Believe in Miracles, Don’t Believe in Christmas, Someday at Christmas, Gimme Some Truth, Thumbing My Way (Chop Suey), Crown of Thorns, Down, Undone, Other Side, Man of the Hour

Live: State College, PA 5/3/03 - Release, Save You, Animal, Corduroy, Cropduster, Small Town, Even Flow, Grievance, I Am Mine, I Wanna Go, Rearviewmirror, Nothingman, Daughter, Lukin, Whipping, MFC, Jeremy, Improv 16, Blood, Encore Break, You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away, Gimme Some Truth, Breath, Do the Evolution, Black, Alive, Encore Break 2, Last Exit, Mankind, Down, Better Man, Satan’s Bed, Leaving Here, Encore Break 3, Crazy Mary, Porch, Fortunate Son, Rockin in the Free World, Yellow Ledbetter

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2024 3:20 pm 
A Return To Form

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Listened to this last night for my annual "it's a cold and kind of depressing winter day" revisit.

This deserved a proper follow up. I adore so many things about it and is has become the album I revisit the most. Everything about it has aged so gracefully (the production, lyrics, writing, themes).

I've always found Love Boat Captain to ride the line between hokey and genuinely moving. Sometimes I fall on one side, and sometimes on the other. Last night the final delivery of the chorus ("Hold me, and make it the truth, That when all is lost there will be you, 'Cause to the universe I don't mean a thing And there's just one word I still believe And it's love") just hit me so hard I felt weak in the knees. That is the Pearl Jam I think we all fell for and it's the one I hope we get back.

Constant recoil; sometimes life don't leave you alone is another line that has always stuck with me. My working theory is your love for Riot Act is directly proportional to your struggle with depression/melancholic personality.

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2024 3:23 pm 
A Return To Form

liebzz wrote:
Riot Act’s turn!

Riot Act: Can’t Keep, Save You, Love Boat Captain, Cropduster, Ghost, I Am Mine, Thumbing My Way, You Are, Get Right, Green Disease, HelpHelp, Bu$hleaguer, 1/2 Full, Arc, All or None

B-sides: I Believe in Miracles, Don’t Believe in Christmas, Someday at Christmas, Gimme Some Truth, Thumbing My Way (Chop Suey), Crown of Thorns, Down, Undone, Other Side, Man of the Hour

Live: State College, PA 5/3/03 - Release, Save You, Animal, Corduroy, Cropduster, Small Town, Even Flow, Grievance, I Am Mine, I Wanna Go, Rearviewmirror, Nothingman, Daughter, Lukin, Whipping, MFC, Jeremy, Improv 16, Blood, Encore Break, You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away, Gimme Some Truth, Breath, Do the Evolution, Black, Alive, Encore Break 2, Last Exit, Mankind, Down, Better Man, Satan’s Bed, Leaving Here, Encore Break 3, Crazy Mary, Porch, Fortunate Son, Rockin in the Free World, Yellow Ledbetter

Does this mean that State College is your definitive live set from this era? Speaking of State College, that version of Satan's Bed--if it can even rise to the level of a "version"--is hilariously botched. Like the version of Singles from the MTV thing being the birth of "no", I like to think the State College Satan's Bed was the birth of "rehearsal".

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2024 4:07 pm 
The worst

If I recall, State College has my favorite Betterman outside of Atlanta 94, mostly on the strength of an incredible tag

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2024 4:37 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

lvc wrote:
liebzz wrote:
Riot Act’s turn!

Does this mean that State College is your definitive live set from this era? Speaking of State College, that version of Satan's Bed--if it can even rise to the level of a "version"--is hilariously botched. Like the version of Singles from the MTV thing being the birth of "no", I like to think the State College Satan's Bed was the birth of "rehearsal".

It’s hard to say what the definitive live set would be, but there are contenders:

State College 5/3/03 - (yes that Satan’s Bed alone caused me to unnecessarily hate on this show even though the rest is spectacular) definitely a big night for the band as it concluded the first leg. Band played its head off, and it got released as a commercial entity in stores.

New York 7/8/03: Live at the Garden. The first set is fine but not mind blowing (I was there), but one of the top encores you’ll see anywhere in the tour.

Mansfield 7/11/03: the longest show of the tour. The acoustic-ish set opening for themselves, and Sleater-Kinney. A show full of bust outs and rarities, and the band clearly having a blast. Would be undeniably the definitive show, but its story is really tied up in the two Mansfield shows the week before - more a culmination of the experiment than fully the tour itself.

Uniondale, NY 4/30/03: one of the more famous of their shows since they got booed for playing Bu$hleaguer whilst impaling a Bush mask on the mic stand. Great show up to and through that moment, but those pesky conservative fans threw this one into odd territory.

Tokyo, Japan 3/3/03: the band is on fire on this show. Crowd was polite but the band was killing it from the get go.

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2024 4:40 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Tokyo 03 is my fav from this tour, a tour i havent really gone that deep into.

Also, Showbox 02 must be considered!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam