The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lets Actually Listen to the Album: Riot Act
PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 7:27 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

surface the north wrote:
Yep. Vs. doesn't have a coherent narrative running throughout it that ties those political songs together like Riot Act does.

What coherent narrative runs through Riot Act?

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 7:29 pm 
Poster of the Year

What coherent narrative runs through any Pearl Jam album?

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 7:30 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

nah wrote:
Angus wrote:
I think Riot Act is also more than just the political mood of the time. Think of the general mood the band was in after the 2000 tour. A couple of hints they might quit after going through Roskilde. They sure weren't the happiest times. And they assembled all those feelings into that album. The more I think about it, the better Riot Act becomes.

i wish ideas and flights of fancy were enough to make songs like 'can't keep' 'you are' 'get right' '1/2 full' 'all or none' 'thumbing my way' and 'bushleaguer' listenable.

You don't like All or None?

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 7:31 pm 

cutuphalfdead wrote:

Ishmael through Yield. And even then, in some songs it's pretty vague if existent at all.

Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:

Exactly my point.

Yeah Yeah Yeah

I think "Bushleaguer" is the most overtly political song in their catalog but other than that, I can't think of any song on Riot Act that's any more political than the songs on Ten/Vs.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 7:32 pm 
Rank This Poster

I think it's because the political songs are different than they used to be. Other than arguably Glorified G, you don't see songs like Insignificance, Grievance, Bushleaguer, Green Disease, etc. on those earlier albums. Yeah, there are politics in songs like W.M.A., but they're really telling more of an emotional story as their subject. With those former songs, the politics are the subject. A lot of stuff on Binaural, like Sleight of Hand or Rival, are closer to the idea of what W.M.A. is doing (despite how far apart they are in sound and style), in that there is a political point to be found but it is also just telling this narrative. That's why I think they've been more political on their records post-Yield than before it.

Last edited by digster on Wed January 23, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 7:32 pm 
Poster of the Year

Sigerson wrote:
I think "Bushleaguer" is the most overtly political song in their catalog but other than that, I can't think of any song on Riot Act that's any more political than the songs on Ten/Vs.

Half Full?

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 7:34 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

durdencommatyler wrote:
surface the north wrote:
Yep. Vs. doesn't have a coherent narrative running throughout it that ties those political songs together like Riot Act does.

Feeling small and ineffective during a time when anxiety and fear run rampant throughout the country's political climate, then looking inward and finding some of the same scary things?

Last edited by washing machine on Wed January 23, 2013 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 7:34 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Sigerson wrote:

Half Full?

Is it any more political than Glorified G or W.M.A.?

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 7:35 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

digster wrote:
I think it's because the political songs are different than they used to be. Other than arguably Glorified G, you don't see songs like Insignificance, Grievance, Bushleaguer, Green Disease, etc. on those earlier albums. Yeah, there are politics in songs like W.M.A., but they're really telling more of an emotional story as their subject. With those former songs, the politics are the subject. A lot of stuff on Binaural, like Sleight of Hand or Rival, are closer to the idea of what W.M.A. is doing (despite how far apart they are in sound and style), in that there is a political point to be found but it is also just telling this narrative. That's why I think they've been more political on their records post-Yield than before it.

Whipping is pretty overt.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 7:36 pm 
Poster of the Year

surface the north wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
surface the north wrote:

Feeling small and ineffective during a time when anxiety and fear run rampant throughout the country's political climate, then looking inward and finding some of the same scary things?

Those are themes, not a narrative.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 7:36 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Sigerson wrote:
nah wrote:
you know what, i'm lying. i just looked at the tracklisting for riot act and i don't see more than 3 political songs. i guess i just felt it was more political than it was and maybe because of eds looks and stuff. i think i just really dislike the music of that album. sorry for even posting.

:| :?: Did I say something?

yeah, you made me realize it wasn't the politics, it was just the crappy music they put togther. i love 'undone' and its political but the music is good.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 7:38 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

cutuphalfdead wrote:
surface the north wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
surface the north wrote:

Those are themes, not a narrative.

Noted.

Yep. Vs. doesn't have a coherent theme running throughout it that ties those political songs together like Riot Act does.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 7:38 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Sigerson wrote:
nah wrote:
i wish ideas and flights of fancy were enough to make songs like 'can't keep' 'you are' 'get right' '1/2 full' 'all or none' 'thumbing my way' and 'bushleaguer' listenable.

That's your opinion. To me, Can't Keep and You Are are two of their best songs and much more listenable than anything on Ten.

i don't listen to 10 either but i like melody and 3 chord harmonies this album lacks a lot of it.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 7:39 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Angus wrote:
nah wrote:
Angus wrote:
I think Riot Act is also more than just the political mood of the time. Think of the general mood the band was in after the 2000 tour. A couple of hints they might quit after going through Roskilde. They sure weren't the happiest times. And they assembled all those feelings into that album. The more I think about it, the better Riot Act becomes.

i do not like 'all or none' but i don't play guitar and maybe people who are musicians like music for different reasons than i do.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 7:43 pm 
Rank This Poster

durdencommatyler wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Exactly my point.

You guys are forgetting that S/T is a concept album about Johnny Ramone.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 7:44 pm 
Rank This Poster

durdencommatyler wrote:
digster wrote:

Whipping is pretty overt.

Yeah, it's not without exception; I'm talking overall (I'd also say that Whipping isn't nearly as overt as something like Grievance or Evacuation, but I get the point). Also, I think when I say they're "political" albums I mean in the context of the band's career. Even their most political record (S/T), only had about six or so songs that had a definite political bent.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 7:48 pm 

nah wrote:
Angus wrote:
nah wrote:
Angus wrote:

i do not like 'all or none' but i don't play guitar and maybe people who are musicians like music for different reasons than i do.

I found this post a little weird. But well, I play guitar, so I like All or None. :|

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 7:52 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Angus wrote:
nah wrote:
Angus wrote:
nah wrote:
Angus wrote:

I found this post a little weird. But well, I play guitar, so I like All or None. :|

i knew it. something about that slow strum told me you would.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 28  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam