General Pearl Jam discussion.
Post a reply

Lets Actually Listen to the Album: Riot Act

Fri December 28, 2012 4:03 pm

old thread archived here

listen to the album and share your thoughts

Re: Lets Actually Listen to the Album: Riot Act

Fri January 18, 2013 3:03 am

I'm really thinking about doing this tomorrow. If I have time. I gotta meet Mark, but after that, I might just do this. I never LAL'd in the original thread. And it's high time we set the record straight about this album, I think.

Fri January 18, 2013 3:08 am

durdencommatyler wrote:I'm really thinking about doing this tomorrow. If I have time. I gotta meet Mark, but after that, I might just do this. I never LAL'd in the original thread. And it's high time we set the record straight about this album, I think.

I didn't get all the way through it because my drive isn't that long, but i put this on on the way home while the heavy snow was coming down, it does have a great winter feel to it

Fri January 18, 2013 3:23 am

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:I'm really thinking about doing this tomorrow. If I have time. I gotta meet Mark, but after that, I might just do this. I never LAL'd in the original thread. And it's high time we set the record straight about this album, I think.

I didn't get all the way through it because my drive isn't that long, but i put this on on the way home while the heavy snow was coming down, it does have a great winter feel to it

:heartbeat:

Seriously, man. Just something about it calls for the cold.

Fri January 18, 2013 5:28 pm

Riot Act and S/T are (for me) mirror opposites. One is a wonderful sounding collection of comparatively weak songs and one is a harsh sounding collection of comparatively strong songs.

Fri January 18, 2013 5:55 pm

stip wrote:Riot Act and S/T are (for me) mirror opposites. One is a wonderful sounding collection of comparatively weak songs and one is a harsh sounding collection of comparatively strong songs.

Riot Act is like 1 song away from being GREAT! (SAD!)

Fri January 18, 2013 7:13 pm

can't keep isn't an record opener. it's not sometimes or last exit, its right in the middle and thats why it doesn't work. least ammount of keepers on this album compared to the rest. cropduster is the diamond in this deep deep rough.

Fri January 18, 2013 7:26 pm

nah wrote:can't keep isn't an record opener. it's not sometimes or last exit, its right in the middle and thats why it doesn't work. least ammount of keepers on this album compared to the rest. cropduster is the diamond in this deep deep rough.

I always thought it was a great opener

Fri January 18, 2013 7:28 pm

bodysnatcher wrote:
nah wrote:can't keep isn't an record opener. it's not sometimes or last exit, its right in the middle and thats why it doesn't work. least ammount of keepers on this album compared to the rest. cropduster is the diamond in this deep deep rough.

well now you know it isn't. you're welcome.

Fri January 18, 2013 7:29 pm

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
stip wrote:Riot Act and S/T are (for me) mirror opposites. One is a wonderful sounding collection of comparatively weak songs and one is a harsh sounding collection of comparatively strong songs.

sad was a Binaural outtake though, but you throw Down and Undone in there and maybe take out Bushleager(which i love) and not sure what else and i could see improvement.

and i think i might agree with stip in the fact that if i rank every every PJ song( dont think i could actually do that but) i think most of avocado would rank above RA, but i would definitely say RA is the better album.

Fri January 18, 2013 7:31 pm

bodysnatcher wrote:

i really enjoy it as a show opener as well, i love the feel of the song with the rest of the band added in, especially Matt, im not that into it when its just Ed on a uke

Fri January 18, 2013 7:38 pm

MadTIGERmaN wrote:

Riot Act only has 3 songs I think are really good. that's a poor showing.

Fri January 18, 2013 7:38 pm

Down and especially Undone are also quite good.

Fri January 18, 2013 7:40 pm

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

i really enjoy it as a show opener as well, i love the feel of the song with the rest of the band added in, especially Matt, im not that into it when its just Ed on a uke

its such a wasted crescendo. it builds up then scatters. i need more 'if i could take you there, theres much more than this' and 'everything has chains, absolutely nothings changed...' execution.

Fri January 18, 2013 7:42 pm

stip wrote:Down and especially Undone are also quite good.

i remember when they leaked a 20 second snippet of undone and it was the first guitar break and i was so excited to hear the full version. it is a fabulous song although im not really in love with how the song ends. i couldn't put the song on a mellow mix for a friend because of it.

Fri January 18, 2013 7:58 pm

its a missed chance for me...there are good songs, but most of them are unfinished.

Sat January 19, 2013 5:38 am

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:

sad was a Binaural outtake though, but you throw Down and Undone in there and maybe take out Bushleager(which i love) and not sure what else and i could see improvement.

and i think i might agree with stip in the fact that if i rank every every PJ song( dont think i could actually do that but) i think most of avocado would rank above RA, but i would definitely say RA is the better album.

I thought I read once that Sad was also considered for Riot Act, but also didnt make the cut their either? (and its not like Betterman wasnt written years before it appeared on Vitalogy so its not like its unheard of for a band to use a song from previous sessions on a later album)

Ive always liked Riot Acts bluesier songs, Half Full, You Are, Help Help, Bu$hleaguer, and All Or None as the closer. Course Save You's my fav song from this band, so that definitely bumps this album up a bit for me. Id say replace Get Right and Green Disease with Sad and Down and its a gem... OR put Sad onto Binaural and move Soon Forget to Riot Act... Soon Forget leading into Bu$hleaguer could have been fun

Sat January 19, 2013 1:36 pm

Welp, obviously, my LAL didn't happen yesterday. I really want to get to this soon, though.

Sat January 19, 2013 3:05 pm

Sounds great but not many standout songs. I enjoy the album and the b sides but outside of I Am Mine theres no top 20 songs. Bushleaguer is the only song I really dislike though. I used to have a mix of this album that cut some songs and added the b sides that really worked for me but I forget how it tracked.

Sat January 19, 2013 3:25 pm

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:and i think i might agree with stip in the fact that if i rank every every PJ song( dont think i could actually do that but)

I'm going to do this very activity in another thread!
Post a reply