The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 541 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lets Actually Listen to the Album: Binaural
PostPosted: Sat January 18, 2014 1:38 pm 
AnalLog

PryTo wrote:
Nothing As It Seems – When this was released as the first single, everyone thought it sounded like PJ trying to imitate Pink Floyd. That was my thought on it, too. And after ripping Zeppelin on the previous album, there was a sense that PJ didn’t have many original ideas. I’ve never been a big fan of this song, and it’s not doing much for me today. I don’t think it’s a Floyd ripoff, but it is perhaps an homage. The solo sounds especially David Gilmour-ian. Lyrically, it sounds like Ament was working with a rhyming dictionary. All the lyrics have the same “one” rhyme but what do they really mean, anyway? More than anything, this song lacks energy and just sounds plodding and lethargic, to me. Pass.

It's about a drug addict with a vocal range between the tenor and bass ranges who doesn't seem to be interested into getting treatment for his addiction but ultimately all he would need is home.

PostPosted: Sat January 18, 2014 5:10 pm 
Commissioner

stip wrote:
soon forget always struck me as a pretty judgmental song, more self righteous than empathetic.

Agreed. The things he said on tour before playing the song seem to reinforce this if I remember correctly (which I probably don't).

PostPosted: Sat January 18, 2014 5:28 pm 
The worst

Eddie doesn't do that well, either. It undermines unemployable a bit for me as well. There is some blue state smugness in that song that wouldn't have been there if Springsteen wrote it

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat January 18, 2014 6:05 pm 
Rank This Poster

Binaural is my favorite album, and I've never done one of these LAL's before, I think I'll try this later when I have some time.

PostPosted: Sat January 18, 2014 6:26 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

McP's track listing is a cool idea but even assuming Of The Girl was stretched that long 65 minutes fits on one cd and on one cd I don't think that mix works. No record company is gonna release two CDs if the songs fit on one. Of course that has nothing to do with McP's concept but it's the dumb stuff I think about when laboring over the mythical perfect Binaural.

01 Breakerfall
02 God's Dice
03 Evacuation
04 Letters To The Dead
05 Rival
06 Grievance
07 Light Years
08 Of The Girl
09 Fatal
10 In The Moonlight
11 Thin Air
12 Insignificance
13 Nothing As It Seems
14 Education
15 Sleight Of Hand
16 Parting Ways (Soon Forget)

Last edited by bada on Sat January 18, 2014 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat January 18, 2014 6:35 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Soon Forget is one of the big examples, at lease for me, of Binaural's flaws. How the hell did they decide that was a better tune to keep than Sad, Education, or In The Moonlight? It's just mind boggling, and knowing all the cool songs / ideas that went down with the Binaural sessions, vs. what we actually got just make it all the more frustrating.

The album sessions and the highs from the album are Pearl Jam at their best. What we got though was a good album, rather than a masterpiece.

PostPosted: Sat January 18, 2014 6:45 pm 
AnalLog

This albums timing came out exactly when I was in a phase of life learning to mix/produce. It's greatly impacted the way I hear music know. Knowing what the band was going for, where there are obvious flaws and where they succeeded have helped trained my hear to know certain elements of the recording process that work or just flat out down work.
This is one of favorite albums of all time and I credit the band so much for going out on a limb and trying something different even if it didn't come out perfectly. It's the flaws of the album that make this more special to me in a strange way.

Greviance, while it could have been recorded differently, is a shining example of an amazing song that is almost ruined by the production (but ultimately saved by a few artistic choices).

This is the definitive PJ album for me and I can't imagine the void in my life if this didn't exist. It's Pearl Jam firing on all cylinders and probably their creative peak.

I adore this album regardless of what tracklist. The songs are so strong individually that it just flat out doesnt matter what order or what b sides are added in place of other songs.

God's Dice and Evacuation are the 2 most underrated songs in the PJ catalog. God's Dice more so than Evacuation.

PostPosted: Sat January 18, 2014 8:29 pm 
Posting (live)

bada wrote:
No record company is gonna release two CDs if the songs fit on one.

This came out in 96. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Being_There_(Wilco_album)
Quote:
Despite its release as a nineteen-song double album, Being There was sold at a single album price due to a deal between lead singer Jeff Tweedy and Reprise Records.

Length 76:47

PostPosted: Sat January 18, 2014 9:28 pm 

I'm wrong more than I'm right.

PostPosted: Sat January 18, 2014 10:19 pm 
Posting (live)

bada wrote:
I'm wrong more than I'm right.

But that album was definitely the exception.

PostPosted: Sun January 19, 2014 8:28 am 
Future Drummer

cutuphalfdead wrote:
I, for one, love the muted distance of the songs on Binaural. The loudness, while still feeling pushed away. There's something intense going on that you're not quite able to touch. But that fits in with the entire theme of the record. Even the artwork is trying to portray a sense of immense power separated by an incredibly vast distance. This is an album of muted rage, and that shows in not just how they wrote the songs, but how the recordings were constructed.

:thumbsup: exactly

PostPosted: Sun January 19, 2014 1:04 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

bada wrote:
McP's track listing is a cool idea but even assuming Of The Girl was stretched that long 65 minutes fits on one cd

If only I'd thought to imply that you

Quote:
might need to add one or two songs to each disc, or some interlude pieces dependent upon your creative design.

Honestly, even if they'd simply developed one of the instrumentals into a song (the softer one. what's the softer one called? I liked the softer one.), offered up a solid 'Of the Girl'-level binaural mix of Strangest Tribe, and done a little work on Anything in Between (isn't that from these sessions?), and that would probably have been enough to justify it. It'd be preferable if they invested another of those oh-so-tiring two week sessions to coming up with something new (or seen what else they have unfinished from previous sessions, since that paid off gangbusters this time around), but goddamn do I love me some Strangest Tribe.

Then again, Cold Roses is another record that fits on a single disc but was marketed as a double, so...

PostPosted: Sun January 19, 2014 1:08 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

hlniv wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
I, for one, love the muted distance of the songs on Binaural. The loudness, while still feeling pushed away. There's something intense going on that you're not quite able to touch. But that fits in with the entire theme of the record. Even the artwork is trying to portray a sense of immense power separated by an incredibly vast distance. This is an album of muted rage, and that shows in not just how they wrote the songs, but how the recordings were constructed.

I missed this. Fantastic.

PostPosted: Sun January 19, 2014 1:20 pm 

McParadigm wrote:
bada wrote:
McP's track listing is a cool idea but even assuming Of The Girl was stretched that long 65 minutes fits on one cd

If only I'd thought to imply that you

Quote:
might need to add one or two songs to each disc, or some interlude pieces dependent upon your creative

You don't really expect me to read the entire post do you?!?!?!?

PostPosted: Sun January 19, 2014 1:21 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Shit. Not even I did that.

PostPosted: Sun January 19, 2014 4:52 pm 
The worst

McParadigm wrote:
hlniv wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

it's an excellent description of what they're trying to do on this album. I just think they're not consistently successful, and since it's such a mood piece the missteps are more constly than on other records.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun January 19, 2014 6:33 pm 
Future Drummer

stip wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
hlniv wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

it's an excellent description of what they're trying to do on this album. I just think they're not consistently successful, and since it's such a mood piece the missteps are more constly than on other records.

Interesting that you give them a pass for the recording and production missteps on S/T but are holding to such a high standard on Binaural. I get that by naming the album as such and obviously relying on a specific technique means more attention to this aspect of an album, but still, come on. I'll take the imperfections of the Binaural recording over muddy yet empty pieces like Life Wasted, WWS, Gone, and Inside Job any day.

PostPosted: Sun January 19, 2014 9:08 pm 
The worst

S/T is trying to be a record of loud, agressive, forceful songs. There are production missteps that hold back quite a few of those songs, but they're less costly given what the album is trying to do. I'll judge an album based on what I think about the general songwriting, and for whether or not it pulls off what it is trying to accomplish (and of course whether or not I enjoy it).

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun January 19, 2014 9:09 pm 
Poster of the Year

The S/T production missteps are much more costly because they make it painful to listen to the songs.

PostPosted: Sun January 19, 2014 9:24 pm 
The worst

if you are a prissy wuss, sure

He/Him/His

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 541 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 28  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam