The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 541 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
 Post subject: Re: Lets Actually Listen to the Album: Binaural
PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2024 4:06 pm 
A Return To Form

Monkey_Driven wrote:
digster wrote:
liebzz wrote:
Concluded this focus with the Seattle 11/6/00 show. It really was such a culmination of the album and tour cycle. Good on them that they had such an amazing show to cap it all, especially after all the struggle, heartbreak, and redemption they experienced that year.

Absolutely, this and other shows from that year seem very important to the band's story, beyond the show itself.

It'll never happen, but I think there's a big missed opportunity to write a book or make a documentary on the band's 1994-2000 period. It's one of the most fascinating periods for a major rock band operating on their level that I can think of, even beyond what you think of the actual music. Starting with Cobain's suicide, going through the change in drummers, the shift in band dynamics between Vs. through Yield, the Ticketmaster situation, the doomed 1995 tour, going up through the Last Kiss phenomenon, Binaural, the Roskslide tragedy and ending right before Election Day 2000 with the Seattle gigs. It's a really compelling, dramatic story that does have a strong arc built into it.

Stuff like the Crowe documentary and books on the band lean on the 91-92 period because it's maybe the height of their popularity, but it's also because there's so much in terms of interviews, footage of the band, etc. For something digging into 94-2000, you'd probably need the band to take part, which I doubt they'd ever do.

I would love that so much. Maybe even expand it to 2003/2004 when their Sony contract expired.

Yes. I would love to know more about the decision to make Riot Act after the whole 2000 tour being treated like they might dissolve the band at the end.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 541 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam