The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lets Actually Listen to the Album: Yield
PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 9:12 pm 
The worst

theplatypus wrote:
Jack's drumming is one of the best things about "Faithfull"

well that may be. I don't think this song has a ton going for it.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 9:16 pm 
AnalLog

stip wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Incidentally, the PJ20 version of Faithfull is great IMO.

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 9:19 pm 
The worst

Wishlist: This is a criminally underrated song. There's a wonderful hearthside intimacy to Eddie's plinking, the lyrics are fantastic (the last lyric is one of my favorites), and eddie's vocals vocals are boldly understated. The rest of the band colors in the song quite nicely. Small Town may be the only Eddie solo song where they do a better job integrating themselves into a song that doesn't have a lot of obvious places for them to go.

That deep sounding dum dum sound on the guitar at the end of the first verse (and leading into the solo) is really nice. The one they fight about in SVT.

Mike's solo is one of my very very favorites.

Still kind of surprised that that was the best e-bow solo take they managed to get.

One of the best fades in the catalog.

Pilate: The music is good, the way it feels like several different threads loosely weaved together but never tightened. Don't like the lyrics or vocal melody though. And I kinda like the chorus on its own, but it is pretty jarring and doesn't do the song any favors. Too stark a change (and something of a pointless one) in a song that is mostly mood.

I like the acoustic guitar in the bridge a lot.

This song is a miss, but it's a fairly enjoyable miss. I'd like this more if it was a lost dog.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 9:19 pm 
The worst

guitar_davey wrote:
stip wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Incidentally, the PJ20 version of Faithfull is great IMO.

Faithful and In Hiding are two of the few PJ songs I do think are better live.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 9:26 pm 
The worst

Do the Evolution: It's probably not there anymore, but DTE used to be a top 5 pearl jam song for me, and still one of their best. It's a snarly, frothing, angry mess of a song that still somehow manages to be totally chill and groovy at the same time

I still remember the first time I heard this song (on the radio, pre yield) and I wondered what the hell happened to Eddie's voice. Especially his rooster scream right at the start of the song.

Oh man, I love that first bridge sooooooo much.

It's Evolution Baby is one of Eddie's very best screams. Every one of them.

The hallelujah bridge is great.

Another one I enjoy matt on more than Jack.

Man, this is such a great fucking song

Red Dot: It's this or hitchhiker. I'm not sure which one I hate more. Probably this. My hatred is totally irrational, but I fucking despise this song. Maybe because it so totally derails the incredible energy built up during DTE. Also not a fan of steel drums. But there's something else going on, because I just really hate it more than it deserves

MFC: The guitars sound so great on this song. If an engine could sound like a guitar it would sound like this. And the verses are really good. But this chorus is all sorts of sing songy terrible.

Who is playing the stuttering lead going into the second verse? that's a really good part.

This is another song where the chorus totally derails the song for me. It doesn't kill it, because i love the beginning and outro (I forgot how much) and the verses are really good. But man, that chorus...

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 9:33 pm 
The worst

Lowlight: A very pretty song that I find totally boring. I think it's probably mostly Eddie and the lyrics. I really don't care for these lyrics (and the song highlights them) and I think Eddie's melody isn't that interesting. There's also a gauzy quality to the actual singing, especially during the double tracked moments and the chorus, that I I don't care for.

Actually I'm not a huge fan of Jeff's bass on this one either.

I do like the off key toy piano.

The guitars are really good.

Not totally sure about the solo.

Once again not a fan of Jack's drumming.

In Hiding: the only reason this isn't at the very top of my most overrated pearl jam songs list is that it seems like people have cooled on this one a bit over the years. I think this is one of their weakest anthems almost across the board.

The main riff is okay, but they have lots of better ones. I do like Jeff's part right at the start.

I think the guitars in the verse are kinda boring, I really don't like Eddie's lyrics, I think the vocal melody is uninspired and occasionally awkward, and there's nothings particularly memorable about his performance.

I like when the piano comes in. There's more on Yield than I remember--and almost always well placed and well played.

In Hiding DOES have a good pre-chorus. Easily the best part of the song, and there's a nice build into it, although I can't quite figure out what part of the build I like--the overall effect is greater than the sum of its parts.

I don't like the way Eddie sounds on the actuall 'I'm In Hiding' part of the chorus, but it sounds much better when he does it live. I like the guitar that follows him while he's singing it, however.

Amongst the Waves is In Hiding's sister song, and, I think, the better of the pair. much better lyrics, a more interesting guitar in the verse, and I prefer the vocals. At least in the verses. In Hiding definitely has the better chorus.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 9:37 pm 
tl;dr

BEST ALBUM EVAH!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 9:44 pm 
The worst

Push Me/Pull Me: This is a cool little song that lacked the ambition to be a great song. The music is really good. I'm not sure Eddie every really sounds comfortable on these spoken word songs.

I like the lyrics despite their heavy handedness.

I like the way the guitar at the start of the second chorus echoes the gunshot that kicks the first verse off. The train whistle effect is fun too.

Great bass part going into the third verse.

I do like Jack's drumming on this one.

All Those Yesterdays: This one has really grown on me over the years. I like everything about this song, but don't really love any one part of it.

Is eddie further up front in the mix here than in most of the other songs, or is it just my imagination?

The 'what are you running from' part of the song is probably the closest I'll ever come to really loving something that sounds like the Beatles. Oh wait, Parachutes.

The live versions of this are usually so good. I'm not sure why this isn't in heavier rotation.

I like the serious turn the song takes at the end, especially after the playful verse that preceded it.

I like Mike's solo, but wish it was slightly less discordant.

Hummus: Ehhh, I'd rather listen to master/slave. My favorite part of this song is the handclaps. Hidden tracks were a huge problem in the early days of mix cds. It was years before this or parting ways could make it onto a mix.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 9:48 pm 
The worst

Kevin Davis wrote:
BEST ALBUM EVAH!!!!!!

Pearl Jam's first 'return to form' record is a real mixed bag for me. Three of their all time greats (Given To Fly, Wishlist, and DTE), and a near great (Brain of J). All Those Yesterdays is good. MFC is half a great song and half a lousy one. Pilate and No way are also promising songs killed by a weak chorus. Push Me/Pull Me is an interesting experiment that I'd enjoy more on a stronger album. After Low Light and In Hiding I need it to be more ambitious than it is.

In Hiding and Faithful are my two shining examples of a 'lets right a PEARL JAM song' that fails to deliver. There may have been more glaring examples since, but these have a special place in my heart because they were first.

Overall I'd say this is their most overrated album. I like it more than No Code, but mostly on the strength of those top 4 songs. I think No Code is the more interesting record.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 9:51 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

I buy that the MFC chorus isn't great, but I think the No Way chorus is great too.

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 9:57 pm 

Man, compare how low in the mix Ed is on "Faithfull" to how high he is on LB. Depressing.

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 10:06 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I like Yield, though not as much as some. It's quite a polished record with some great songs. DTE, Brain of J, GTF are some of their best songs. MFC sounds so great live with untitled tagged, this should have been on the record. I do however remember being a little underwhelmed when I first heard it after buying it in a Bondi record store. Maybe because Vitalogy and No Code were just so damn good!! Leatherman is a cool song from those sessions

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 10:07 pm 
The worst

welcome to the board :)

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 10:07 pm 
The worst

harmless wrote:
Man, compare how low in the mix Ed is on "Faithfull" to how high he is on LB. Depressing.

yeah it really jumps out at you after listening to some of these albums

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 10:20 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Thanks Stip, I'm a regular reader of this board and thought I'd just start posting! I was just reading your critiques of faithful and in hiding...those songs could have been epic IMO

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 10:38 pm 
Rank This Poster

Kevin Davis wrote:
BEST ALBUM EVAH!!!!!!

I'd definitely say best PJ record. I have a lot of love for everything pre-S/T but this and Vitalogy are the ones for the time capsule, I think. I'm especially impressed, when I listen to it lately, how it manages to be as atmospheric as the records surrounding it (Vitalogy, No Code, Binaural, Riot Act) without being so overt with the tools it's using to set the mood.

Last edited by digster on Fri January 10, 2014 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 10:39 pm 
The worst

this is yield...

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 11:02 pm 
Rank This Poster

stip wrote:
this is yield...

Yield's so good I count it twice.

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 11:08 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

stip wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

That's because you're the worst

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 11:18 pm 

I've settled on the opinion that although Jack isn't my favourite drummer, he was perfect for the material at the time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam