The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lets Actually Listen to the Album: Yield
PostPosted: Fri March 14, 2014 6:05 pm 
post-structuralist

McParadigm wrote:
malice wrote:
aurynsdad's is right, guys.

Except for hipster references and diluting Zeppelin's influence on GtF to a mere "chord progression."

well, ok. i find 'hipster' references rather dumb to begin with, as well as out dated, and used incorrectly regardless.
re: GTF-- the idea of Zep being ripped-off in any sense of the word is a fairly tired argument after so many years ... but agree, GTF wouldn't even exist without Zeppelin's influence.

I only hope you voted for No Way over Animal.

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Fri March 14, 2014 7:16 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

malice wrote:
I only hope you voted for No Way over Animal.

The bridge of No Way is the most Bowie this band has ever sounded. Of course I did.

PostPosted: Fri March 14, 2014 7:16 pm 
A Return To Form

Hipster is a stupid loaded term. I'll agree with that. Earnest question though: what does GTF share with GTC beyond chord progression? I imagine there are threads about it, so could you give me the really short version? Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri March 14, 2014 7:32 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Fri March 14, 2014 7:41 pm 
Rank This Poster

tits da s4me sng!

PostPosted: Fri March 14, 2014 7:42 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

who's led zepplin?

PostPosted: Fri March 14, 2014 7:45 pm 
post-structuralist

bodysnatcher wrote:
who's led zepplin?

buncha hipsters that ripped off muddy waters

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Fri March 14, 2014 7:55 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Fri March 14, 2014 8:48 pm 
A Return To Form

Cool video. Never heard them side by side like that. There are still a lot of people who say they can't hear the similarity. They should see that.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:52 am 
A Return To Form

I listened to Yield on the way home from work today for the first time in a while. I was blown away by much of the sound, specifically how much space there seems to be for what is basically a straight ahead rock record. The three guitar songs are nice and spacey too. Jack might be owed some credit for that. His touch is fantastic throughout. The guitar tones and subtle playing add so much to the mostly upper tier songwriting.
Probably obvious to most, but it's nice to hear today that I wasn't crazy for loving this band as much as I did.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:05 pm 
Broken Tamborine
 WWW  Profile

Jessica Fletcher wrote:
I listened to Yield on the way home from work today for the first time in a while. I was blown away by much of the sound, specifically how much space there seems to be for what is basically a straight ahead rock record. The three guitar songs are nice and spacey too. Jack might be owed some credit for that. His touch is fantastic throughout. The guitar tones and subtle playing add so much to the mostly upper tier songwriting.
Probably obvious to most, but it's nice to hear today that I wasn't crazy for loving this band as much as I did.

Amen my friend, amen.

PostPosted: Tue April 02, 2024 5:25 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Will listen to this today.

PostPosted: Thu April 04, 2024 4:59 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

This one is next on the list, so we’ll cover:

Yield: Brain of J, No Way, Faithfull, Given to Fly, Wishlist, Pilate, Do the Evolution, red dot , MFC, Low Light, In Hiding, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays

B-sides: Given to Fly (instrumental) (PJ20), You (Lost Dogs), Leatherman (Given to Fly single), Whale Song (Lost Dogs), Last Kiss (single), Soldier of Love (single)

Live: Give Way - Release, Brain of J, Animal, Faithfull, In My Tree, I Got Id, Corduroy, Even Flow, Spin the Black Circle, Given to Fly, Hail Hail, MFC, State of Love and Trust, Do the Evolution, Alive, Black, Immortality

PostPosted: Thu April 04, 2024 5:22 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Could do Untitled from LO2L. As much a Yield song as Last Kiss.

PostPosted: Thu April 04, 2024 6:41 pm 
AnalLog

Anders wrote:
Could do Untitled from LO2L. As much a Yield song as Last Kiss.

*More of a Yield song than Last Kiss :D

PostPosted: Thu April 04, 2024 7:06 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I think possibly I didn’t include untitled because I intended to listen to LO2L in full.

Also I decided to include that single because they started playing both covers on the ‘98 tour.

PostPosted: Thu April 04, 2024 10:56 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I love this record so so much.

PostPosted: Fri April 05, 2024 11:28 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Focusing on the album itself - everything about this is a reset from No Code, or at least feels that way. Beyond the expansion of songwriting that we know about, there’s a fresh air vibe to this, like they were ready to drop the baggage and just rock. The opening blast of Brain of J is emblematic of that, even though I believe the song in its infancy went back to Vs. - even the album packaging had this almost ditto like scent to it that suggested a fresh start. Faithfull, Given to Fly, Low Light, Brain of J, MFC, and In Hiding have become central listening to my Pearl Jam experience, yet I am frequently still drawn to the quirks on this album - the spoken word Push Me Pull Me is my favorite of that angle of song from them, while All Those Yesterdays Beatles-like closing always one I want to return to. Even the hidden track, Hummus, has some killer interplay going on.

All that is not to mention Do the Evolution. No matter how you feel about the song individually, it hangs over this thing like a lead balloon. It dominates the record, sticks out, and is a bolt of lightning of inspiration, 100% Pearl Jam without recalling anything they had done before. The video is pure perfection.

Despite taking a big turn of the wheel on this, this album somehow sounds the most Pearl Jam of the albums, or at least in conjunction with Vs. - they are not similar albums but they both are what my mind’s eye sees or hears when I think of the band. I might prefer Vitalogy or No Code, but there’s no drop off here. Still at this point always incredible.

PostPosted: Fri April 05, 2024 1:00 pm 
Rank This Poster

liebzz wrote:

Yield: Brain of J, No Way, Faithfull, Given to Fly, Wishlist, Pilate, Do the Evolution, red dot , MFC, Low Light, In Hiding, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays

B-sides: Given to Fly (instrumental) (PJ20), You (Lost Dogs), Leatherman (Given to Fly single), Whale Song (Lost Dogs), Last Kiss (single), Soldier of Love (single)

Live: Give Way - Release, Brain of J, Animal, Faithfull, In My Tree, I Got Id, Corduroy, Even Flow, Spin the Black Circle, Given to Fly, Hail Hail, MFC, State of Love and Trust, Do the Evolution, Alive, Black, Immortality

You should replace "You" from Lost Dogs (with Matt) with "U' from the Wishlist single (with Jack)

PostPosted: Fri April 05, 2024 1:02 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Farmer John wrote:
liebzz wrote:

You should replace "You" from Lost Dogs (with Matt) with "U' from the Wishlist single (with Jack)

Agreed, except U is not on Spotify, which is lame.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam