The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169  Next
 Post subject: Re: Post-Riot Act Moneygrab
PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 2:58 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

tragabigzanda wrote:
lvc wrote:
I was reading through this and I just want to say the members of Pearl Jam have enough personal wealth that they probably make far more from leveraging their existing wealth than anything they do artistically.

What if they made the records they made because those were the records they wanted to make? And what if they surrendered the business side to business people so they wouldn't have to make all those decisions (and go to all the damned meetings to form the committees needed to examine the white papers on the various choices in order to draft a proposal to the regional manager of procurement in order to get the ball rolling on planning the rollout of the next record) because they'd rather be surfing or taking their kids to the zoo in Lisbon or whatever?

I’m personally not disputing any of this, only that this process leads to shitty music

Which absolutely not self-evident because by all means this approach should be yielding the opposite result

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 3:01 pm 
Production Police

Val wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
lvc wrote:
I was reading through this and I just want to say the members of Pearl Jam have enough personal wealth that they probably make far more from leveraging their existing wealth than anything they do artistically.

What if they made the records they made because those were the records they wanted to make? And what if they surrendered the business side to business people so they wouldn't have to make all those decisions (and go to all the damned meetings to form the committees needed to examine the white papers on the various choices in order to draft a proposal to the regional manager of procurement in order to get the ball rolling on planning the rollout of the next record) because they'd rather be surfing or taking their kids to the zoo in Lisbon or whatever?

I’m personally not disputing any of this, only that this process leads to shitty music

Which absolutely not self-evident because by all means this approach should be yielding the opposite result

I honestly think Ed’s idea of a great PJ record is very different than mine. Bummer for me!

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 3:05 pm 
The worst

lvc wrote:

this feels accurate

and fortunately for me, my tastes in this period have been pretty aligned with what they want to do

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 3:09 pm 
She / Her

I think you're probably right, lvc

whole lotta delegatin' goin' on

it doesn't bother me too much anymore, I accept diminishing returns after so many years; as long as I don't hate the music (and I don't, mostly)

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 3:13 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I only wished they release more studio albums. Thats it.

And im glad LB seems to be a distant memory.

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 3:13 pm 
The worst

tragabigzanda wrote:
lvc wrote:

I can see why this might lead to shitty business decisions, but why would it lead to shitty music? Negotiating curfew rates and vendor placement leads to artistic inspiration?

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 3:14 pm 
The worst

VinylGuy wrote:

that LB-gigaton gap was insane

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 3:19 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

stip wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

that LB-gigaton gap was insane

yeah, totally. It helped that they toured a lot, but it was very hard that they didnt seemed to be actually doing stuff on the studio. It was such a surprise to know about Gigaton and how they did it.

Thats why maybe they seem so happy with the new album and the approach to make it, and the fact that it was recorded on Shangri La its a very good sign of the place the band is right now.

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 3:21 pm 
Production Police

stip wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
lvc wrote:

I can see why this might lead to shitty business decisions, but why would it lead to shitty music? Negotiating curfew rates and vendor placement leads to artistic inspiration?

Detachment from the struggle > created shitty art. It’s not absolute but it’s a pretty common phenomenon

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 3:22 pm 
She / Her

stip wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
lvc wrote:

well, once the music is played and recorded, it could be that they're just giving up mixing / mastering etc. to the people they've chosen, without listening to it first and OK-ing it after a few edits, like a younger band with more to prove might; it could be that after playing the songs, they don't see the record until it's in their hands

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 3:23 pm 

tragabigzanda wrote:
stip wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
lvc wrote:

Detachment from the struggle > created shitty art. It’s not absolute but it’s a pretty common phenomenon

That's not struggle, those are pretty mundane tasks.
I'm sure great art is triggered by things a lot more inspiring than bookkeeping, procurements, mergers and acquisitions (unless you're a phsycho)

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 3:24 pm 
She / Her

Ms Harmless wrote:
stip wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
lvc wrote:

well, once the music is played and recorded, it could be that they're just giving up mixing / mastering etc. to the people they've chosen, without listening to it first and OK-ing it after a few edits, like a younger band with more to prove might; it could be that after playing the songs, they don't see the record until it's in their hands

I've recorded two EPs with my band years ago, and both times we were in the room while it was being engineered and also had versions of the finished product played to us until we were totally happy

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 3:24 pm 

Ms Harmless wrote:
I've recorded two EPs with my band years ago, and both times we were in the room while it was being engineered and also had versions of the finished product played to us until we were totally happy

Can we listen to them?

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 3:25 pm 
She / Her

Val wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

Can we listen to them?

haha I don't think so

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 3:47 pm 
AnalLog

Val wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

Can we listen to them?

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 3:52 pm 
Production Police

Val wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
stip wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
lvc wrote:

I'm sure great art is triggered by things a lot more inspiring than bookkeeping, procurements, mergers and acquisitions (unless you're a phsycho)

No doubt, but their ability to disengage (in favor, hypothetically, of spending time with their families) is representative of their comfort

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 3:57 pm 
The worst

which they had the financial wherewithal to do for every album
since Ten

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 4:10 pm 
A Return To Form

stip wrote:
lvc wrote:

this feels accurate

and fortunately for me, my tastes in this period have been pretty aligned with what they want to do

I agree. I've never hated much (except Future Days which I didn't even import to iTunes after I got the CD. Lightning Bolt ends with Yellow Moon.) I can't afford to go to concerts any more, so Pearl Jam will always be a life-changing band that I'm interested in enough to buy the next record and see what they're up to. They already changed my life once, I can free them from needing to do it again.

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 4:13 pm 
A Return To Form

Val wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
stip wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
lvc wrote:

Hey, I think you could make a pretty interesting novel out of the development of current accounting standards because it perfectly aligns with the development of corruption. But maybe I am a psycho. I think I need to think that over.

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 4:17 pm 
She / Her

lvc wrote:
stip wrote:
lvc wrote:

this feels accurate

I agree. I've never hated much (except Future Days which I didn't even import to iTunes after I got the CD. Lightning Bolt ends with Yellow Moon.) I can't afford to go to concerts any more, so Pearl Jam will always be a life-changing band that I'm interested in enough to buy the next record and see what they're up to. They already changed my life once, I can free them from needing to do it again.

that's well put and I agree; they were my favourite band for 7 albums, and now they aren't, but they were with me for long enough that they still matter and I'll still appreciate as much as I can; I'm polybandarous now

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam