The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169
 Post subject: Re: Post-Riot Act Moneygrab
PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 10:05 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

oneway23 wrote:
I don't buy the struggle = more valid art theory. They aren't exactly crammed together in a room anymore with cases of beer, taking bong rips and jamming....It's not as though they struggled for years schleping it in a van and sleeping on floors when they were young, either (at least not as Pearl Jam).

There are a lot of years and deep feelings many of us have invested, and, I'm sure each one of us has some notion of an ideal of how we'd prefer they carry themselves, how they'd write songs, or play, how often they'd release records, or what causes they'd espouse and how ethically they'd approach them, who we'd prefer they did (and didn't) do business with....on and on...

They're not going to reach the idealistic heights of every fan's mental conception of them....It's up to each of us how we balance these things against our own values.

I see the struggle that fuels creative fire less about access, wealth, and status, and more about having demons and being tortured. Basically having something to sing about. Not that having a great life and a family you love is not worthy of singing about. Plenty of songwriters have written beautiful, creative songs about happy subjects. I just wonder if that suits Pearl Jam’s style. Backspacer was a good attempt at that. Lightning Bolt was not. More broadly, if they just write more interesting music when the subject is dark and heavy.

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 10:24 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Ed is the weak link now

TOTD reunion tour proved it

1994 spring tour was the peak

fortunately we have recordings

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 10:25 pm 

stip wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
oneway23 wrote:
I don't buy the struggle = more valid art theory.

I wasn't suggesting validity, only quality. And I don't think they have to be poor to struggle, but (in my mind) they'd need to retain some strong connection to the memory of what that felt like. I feel this is where some of them (leader Ed) has lost his way.

this is it right here. Pearl Jam has evolved. Or changed is maybe better if evolution implies progress. they are a different band doing something different than what they did when they were younger. this is not the first time. there is a major evolutionary leap forward/change with No Code as well.

I struggled with that run of albums because I was so much more interested and invested in who pearl jam was and who I wanted them to be rather than process them on the baiss of who they are. Others made that transition easily. And the quality of the music/the listeners experience of it still matters. It is easier for me to appreciate those middle records now for what they are and what PJ was trying to do rather than forc it into a pre-existing frame I had and wanted. But I still dont like the body of songs as much

In Running and songs like it, a complaint people levelis that Ed or the band (usually Ed) are trying to sound young. I dont think thats right. running is not an older man aping being young. It is the sound of an older man excited for the music he is hearing and expressing it in a way that feels inauthentic if you decide that this type of music is soley the posession of youth. What if all that’s sacred doesn’t just come from youth, and the old can do more than just remember?

Oooh nice. One thing I find very interesting is that their changes became less frequent over time, which is not unusual, as that mirrors how people tend to settle into who they are and change less over time too. And paralleling that is settling into a certain type of sound that they’ve found for themselves post self titled. I think you said it before, this is the band that Pearl Jam wanted to become, and they experimented with different things to get here. I only question how much of what PJ has become is really Eddie’s version of what he wants the band to be and sound like as he has increasingly driven creative control over time, moving further away from that early / “original” sound we know.

But those of us who have been fans since the beginning are rooted in the idea of the original Pearl Jam as being the true/authentic Pearl Jam. I wonder sometimes how people who have never heard their music before would perceive them if they were introduced to their albums in reverse.

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 10:25 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Ed loves cash, power, and famous friends

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 10:27 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

96583UP wrote:

We all do.

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 10:32 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

fair

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 10:45 pm 
Production Police

Bi_3 wrote:
96583UP wrote:

We all do.

I’ve actively rejected famous friends. Bad juju for my psyche. Money is great, power is…in the eye of the beholder.

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 10:52 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
96583UP wrote:

We all do.

I’ve actively rejected famous friends. Bad juju for my psyche. Money is great, power is…in the eye of the beholder.

why are we friends im basically famous

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2024 10:56 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
96583UP wrote:

We all do.

why are we friends im basically famous

Once one of your singles hit the charts, you won’t hear back from him.

Jokes aside… I’m with Trag on this one.

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 2:04 am 
AnalLog

Fattie_Vedder wrote:
oneway23 wrote:
I don't buy the struggle = more valid art theory. They aren't exactly crammed together in a room anymore with cases of beer, taking bong rips and jamming....It's not as though they struggled for years schleping it in a van and sleeping on floors when they were young, either (at least not as Pearl Jam).

There are a lot of years and deep feelings many of us have invested, and, I'm sure each one of us has some notion of an ideal of how we'd prefer they carry themselves, how they'd write songs, or play, how often they'd release records, or what causes they'd espouse and how ethically they'd approach them, who we'd prefer they did (and didn't) do business with....on and on...

They're not going to reach the idealistic heights of every fan's mental conception of them....It's up to each of us how we balance these things against our own values.

I see the struggle that fuels creative fire less about access, wealth, and status, and more about having demons and being tortured. Basically having something to sing about. Not that having a great life and a family you love is not worthy of singing about. Plenty of songwriters have written beautiful, creative songs about happy subjects. I just wonder if that suits Pearl Jam’s style. Backspacer was a good attempt at that. Lightning Bolt was not. More broadly, if they just write more interesting music when the subject is dark and heavy.

I see your point. He's extremely fortunate to have many wonderful things to croon about, but there are unfortunately an infinite number of horrible things going on in the world to write & sing about as well.
As many others have said, he's at his best making specific subjects into universal themes. Not so much the other way around.

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 2:21 am 

oneway23 wrote:
Fattie_Vedder wrote:
oneway23 wrote:

I see your point. He's extremely fortunate to have many wonderful things to croon about, but there are unfortunately an infinite number of horrible things going on in the world to write & sing about as well.
As many others have said, he's at his best making specific subjects into universal themes. Not so much the other way around.

Well said. I like that a lot.

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 2:24 am 
The worst

that is nice phrasing

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 2:33 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

he is like John Moschitta Jr. meets The Days of Our Lives

no one makes a glam bridge like Edward Veddar in the year 2024

you might be rockin along, boppin' along, but then when it's bridge time? BAM HERE COMES THE GLAM

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 1:47 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

96583UP wrote:

you might be rockin along, boppin' along, but then when it's bridge time? BAM HERE COMES THE GLAM

so horny for Hope right now

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 1:54 pm 
Future Drummer

96583UP wrote:
Ed is the weak link now

Goddamn, the TOTD show was awesome.

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 2:00 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

tommy wrote:
96583UP wrote:
Ed is the weak link now

Goddamn, the TOTD show was awesome.

Yeah, no PJ show since 2009 (that I attended in person) comes close to the TotD show I went to. Amazing.

PostPosted: Fri March 29, 2024 12:54 am 
Major Dude

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
96583UP wrote:

so horny for Hope right now

Oh my!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam