The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: Crowdfunding a Pearl Jam Show
PostPosted: Wed November 05, 2014 4:58 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I don't want to rain on someone's parade, but there is zero chance of this working.

http://www.cometotheporch.net/2014/11/Crowdfunding.html

Quote:
Crowdfunding: The proliferation of the internet, social media, and e-commerce have culminated into an amazing opportunity for consumers to put their money where their mouth is. Today, we are seeing movies get made, products get launched, and causes being supported in small increments by thousands of people who add up to make a difference. Why not try this for concerts?

The Foo Fighters helped to blaze the trail when they played Richmond, Virginia as a result of a crowdfund campaign (learn more). Now, Pearl Jam fan Dan Sheffer has taken the initiative and put it out there to PJ fans to support an initiative to bring Pearl Jam to his neck of the woods.

Initial chatter has been overwhelmingly positive and supportive from the fan base. Some have concerns that, if successful, the band would be put into an "awkward" position of having to say yes. Not sure I've ever heard of a band who says no to a sold out arena of fans who self funded an event because they are so passionate about their music; but if you think Pearl Jam has an issue with peer pressure I guess that would make sense?...

Anyway, with Ticketmaster fees and a variety of other challenges, crowdfunding might be the way of the future for concerts! Here's all of the info from the site but be sure to head over to this link to contribute. An $80 donation gets you a ticket if it happens!

"We are raising funds for a fan funded PJ show(s) at Forest Hills Tennis Center. A historic venue in Queens, NY, this would be a unforgettable evening(s) for the band, the fans, the crew and NYC. We have the support of several PJ groups on FB and Twitter and will give our proposal to Pearl Jam management no later than 1/2015.
We will be contacting the press and local politicians to make this happen. If The Beatles, The Who and Dylan can play Forest Hills why not add legendary Pearl Jam to the mix?

Why not try? I'm sure my fellow 10 clubbers would agree! Think of it as PJ25!
This is an extremely unique, historic venue and we think that the band would love playing here and it will be a show to tell future generations. We encourage all feedback and can use all the help we can get to make this a reality! We would also like to donate some of the proceeds to EB research.

Forest Hills is a historic venue, a great place to live, it deserves to be put on the map again. Pearl Jam is the best band on the planet to do it!
The plan is simple Pearl Jam fans. If we get the numbers , let's talk to the band and see what we can do. Worst case is that they say no.

Post subject: Re: Crowdfunding a Pearl Jam Show
PostPosted: Wed November 05, 2014 6:18 pm 
Champion of RM

This is in the rumor thread already. This one does have a chance once it launches:

From FB:
In light of recent events, I'm reposting this from our Wishlist Foundation Group for anyone interested.
Back in early September, Wishlist Foundation began working on developing a fan-sourced (crowd-sourced) campaign to raise enough money to host a Pearl Jam concert weekend on or around October 22, 2015 at the infamous Gorge Amphitheater in Gorge, WA.
Part 25th anniversary celebration, part thank you, part activism fan movement, Wishlist Foundation plans on rolling out this campaign between Christmas and New Years.
Today another crowd-source event was announced to bring the band to Forest Hills, NY that will last the next 88 days. Wishlist was approached by the organizer to work together via PM, at which point I informed him of our existing plans, offered to work together/include him in ours and genuinely wished him well when he politely declined.
Because our campaign will launch within the 88 days of the Forest Hills campaign, I thought it would be polite and in good community spirit to mention the Wishlist campaign in advance, as a preemptive attempt to dispel any potential negativity that Wishlist was trying to 'step on his toes or steal his thunder'. That isn't and won't be, our intent.
We realize people are now interested in our campaign, but we're not ready to release any details more specific than I posted here. When we announce, we want to make sure we do it right - with facts, specific goals, specific ticket expectations, rewards, etc. We're not going to have our hand forced because someone else in our PJ community is borrowing the same awesome idea from the Foo Fighters fans.
We LOVE the fan community. It is our family and has been for the last ten years. Myself, and all of us at Wishlist, genuinely believe that each and every fan can make a HUGE difference and a HUGE positive impact on the world, within our fan community and especially with each other.
We've seen it happen. Witnessed your generosity and extraordinary efforts.
Fan motivated and created events are how Wishlist started. We support lots of individual and smaller fan group related projects, causes and more. We've supported individuals and fans both publicly and quietly out of the public eye. I don't feel the need to list them - it's not about naming names to prove a point.
We're grassroots. We're volunteers. We're fans. We wish everyone who is trying to do a good thing the best of luck. It's how we believe the world should be.
"With my two hands, I can change the world"

PostPosted: Wed November 05, 2014 6:59 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I just don't see Pearl Jam responding to something like this.

PostPosted: Wed November 05, 2014 7:08 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

B wrote:

I really hope they don't respond to it, either.

PostPosted: Wed November 05, 2014 8:38 pm 
The Master

EJ wrote:
B wrote:

I really hope they don't respond to it, either.

While I think its a cool idea.....

PJ fans are the worst. Look what the Breath Campaign did to song requestin.

PostPosted: Wed November 05, 2014 8:42 pm 
Commissioner

Strat wrote:

There will be 65 Crowdfunded Pearl Jam shows up on the site by Monday.

PostPosted: Wed November 05, 2014 8:47 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Bring Pearl Jam to Israel!

PostPosted: Wed November 05, 2014 8:59 pm 
The Master

Lament wrote:
Strat wrote:

There will be 65 Crowdfunded Pearl Jam shows up on the site by Monday.

That being said this could be the best way to get pearl jam to go on a mini tour and play theatres for the fans that help put them up.

PostPosted: Wed November 05, 2014 9:06 pm 
Champion of RM

I can see the Wishlist Foundation show succeeding. It would never happen more than once.

PostPosted: Wed November 05, 2014 9:58 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I don't wish anyone failure, but the band has been pretty clear that they are happy with their touring schedule. Not that they are unresponsive to fans (although some might make that argument), but I don't see them allowing fans to dictate their work schedule.

PostPosted: Wed November 05, 2014 10:14 pm 
Champion of RM

One show in their most common, of late, month of touring is feasible. It could lead into Bridge School. Just saying'.

PostPosted: Tue November 18, 2014 1:09 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Shit just got real, bitches! http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/que ... -1.2011664

PostPosted: Tue November 18, 2014 1:13 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

B wrote:

Quote:
They're light years away, but hopefully they won’t be undone.

oh my god why

PostPosted: Tue November 18, 2014 1:13 am 
Commissioner

Wishlist has been around for, like years and years, right? And haven't they legitimately done a lot of significant fundraising for legitimate causes?

What kind of dickbag finds out that an organization like that had been planning to do the same thing and not only doesn't quietly back down, but actively fights them? I would imagine a Wishlist crowdfunded show would end up being in large part to further the support for the charitable causes they've worked for years to support. And this guy wants to crowdfund one cause (essentially) it'd be cool?

PostPosted: Tue November 18, 2014 1:17 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Lament, everyone involved in this story sucks. Theres no need to take sides.

PostPosted: Tue November 18, 2014 1:19 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Hey, Wishlist could have done this at any time, and they didn't.

I really don't see the point in a crowdfunded show for New York OR Seattle. They played both last year. I thought crowdfunding was for original ideas.

PostPosted: Tue November 18, 2014 1:23 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

my hatred for crowdfunding and for PJ fans have officially combined into one big ball of shit that might push me far enough to never put forth any effort into being a fan of this band anymore.

PostPosted: Tue November 18, 2014 1:27 am 
AnalLog

bodysnatcher wrote:
my hatred for crowdfunding and for PJ fans have officially combined into one big ball of shit that might push me far enough to never put forth any effort into being a fan of this band anymore.

lol

if you guys paypal me $100 to moronpjfans@prodigy.net i will arrange to have pearl jam play in your living room. full refund of course it doesn't happen*

*refund will be processed in 2099 or after the last pearl jam member dies, whichever comes later

PostPosted: Tue November 18, 2014 3:06 am 
A Return To Form

There is no fan base better suited to get in a fight over crowd-funded shows that will never happen.

But...what if they DO happen?

PostPosted: Tue November 18, 2014 3:11 am 
Commissioner

Can we Crowdfund a cage match between Pearl Jam fans?

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam