The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Binaural [Deluxe]
PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2015 3:32 am 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
hlniv wrote:
Sing it loud brotha

However, it has already been established that the peak is is the Asia leg of the '98 tour with Jack

:bammer:

I love Matt's work in the studio, but am completely stymied as to why everyone loves his work on the US '98 tour. All my favorite songs suddenly featured straight-forward rock drumming (though I truly appreciate that he learned the entire catalog in just a few weeks).

His playing had a lot more variation and experimentation in it at the beginning, which gradually dissolved into straightforward generic-ness as the years went by. But he's no spring chicken anymore. If you didn't like his playing in '98, what do you think of it now?

I think it's great now, because they've written songs that compliment it much better. All of Binaural, plus some later tracks like Save You, You Are, LBC, Unemployable, and Army Reserve are all excellent Cameron-era songs that work specifically because of his inclusion...

But I mostly hate everything he does to the older music, with a few exceptions. They were more groove-oriented then, and that's my favorite stuff.

Yeah, but in regards to the stuff he was playing in '98, his drumming has gotten simpler and simpler on that stuff as the years have gone by. I was very happy when I heard LO2L because I love his drumming and I thought he gave those songs a kick in the ass...there was a lot of energy there. But the songs have gotten faster and faster as the years have gone by and sloppier and sloppier and less and less articulate, like they are simultaneously sleepwalking through them and trying to get it over with as fast as possible. That's why people "prefer" his drumming from 1998. It's not really an Irons vs. Cameron thing.

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2015 3:45 am 
10Club Complaint Department

I prefer both Irons and Abbruzzese but Matt's playing for Pearl Jam was never better than it was on the 1998 tour for me.

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2015 3:58 am 
Production Police

tragabigzanda wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
hlniv wrote:
Sing it loud brotha

However, it has already been established that the peak is is the Asia leg of the '98 tour with Jack

:bammer:

I love Matt's work in the studio, but am completely stymied as to why everyone loves his work on the US '98 tour. All my favorite songs suddenly featured straight-forward rock drumming (though I truly appreciate that he learned the entire catalog in just a few weeks).

His playing had a lot more variation and experimentation in it at the beginning, which gradually dissolved into straightforward generic-ness as the years went by. But he's no spring chicken anymore. If you didn't like his playing in '98, what do you think of it now?

I think it's great now, because they've written songs that compliment it much better. All of Binaural, plus some later tracks like Save You, You Are, LBC, Unemployable, and Army Reserve are all excellent Cameron-era songs that work specifically because of his inclusion...

But I mostly hate everything he does to the older music, with a few exceptions. They were more groove-oriented then, and that's my favorite stuff.

Yeah, but in regards to the stuff he was playing in '98, his drumming has gotten simpler and simpler on that stuff as the years have gone by. I was very happy when I heard LO2L because I love his drumming and I thought he gave those songs a kick in the ass...there was a lot of energy there. But the songs have gotten faster and faster as the years have gone by and sloppier and sloppier and less and less articulate, like they are simultaneously sleepwalking through them and trying to get it over with as fast as possible. That's why people "prefer" his drumming from 1998. It's not really an Irons vs. Cameron thing.

Makes sense. In truth, I've listened to very little live stuff post-Riot Act, with the exception of the handful of shows I've continued to attend, and the odd youtube vid.

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2015 4:10 am 
Poster of the Year

Birds in Hell wrote:
I prefer both Irons and Abbruzzese but Matt's playing for Pearl Jam was never better than it was on the 1998 tour for me.

yep

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2015 4:16 pm 
Future Drummer

I agree - Matt seems to have greatly simplified and become much more straightforward as the years have gone by.

It's almost as if someone in the band before the 2000 tour asked him to scale back some of the flair he was I giving the old songs on the '98 tour. I loved what he did on that tour.

LO2L is one of the best examples of drumming the band ever put out, if not the best.

However, Jack is still PJ to me. And the early '98 shows with him are almost always near the top of my list when I'm looking for a show to listen through.

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2015 6:50 pm 
AnalLog

hlniv wrote:
I agree - Matt seems to have greatly simplified and become much more straightforward as the years have gone by.

SOLAT on the Italy DVD epitomizes this. It's like he couldn't care less about playing the song.

PostPosted: Thu January 07, 2016 4:25 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

I've been enjoying this so much that I finally decided to spend the big bucks on an original pressing of Binaural on vinyl.

PostPosted: Sun January 10, 2016 1:42 am 
Future Drummer

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

yep

Me three.

PostPosted: Wed January 13, 2016 2:32 pm 
Future Drummer

bluestate wrote:
I've been enjoying this so much that I finally decided to spend the big bucks on an original pressing of Binaural on vinyl.

I thought I sold the one I had, but lo and behold, I was moving some shit in the closet, and there it was, I hadn't sold it! I recall now that I sold Avocado, not Binaural. I could never sell my original Binaural vinyl...

PostPosted: Thu January 14, 2016 9:58 pm 

hlniv wrote:
bluestate wrote:

I thought I sold the one I had, but lo and behold, I was moving some shit in the closet, and there it was, I hadn't sold it! I recall now that I sold Avocado, not Binaural. I could never sell my original Binaural vinyl...

Binaural is the only one I don't have. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu January 14, 2016 9:58 pm 

Varis wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

yep

Me three.

:wave: 4!

PostPosted: Fri January 15, 2016 4:31 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

PHATJ wrote:
hlniv wrote:
bluestate wrote:

Binaural is the only one I don't have. :cry:

Well worth the money spent. My life is now complete. (Except for my lack of Constitution Hall on vinyl :gomez: )

PostPosted: Fri January 15, 2016 4:33 pm 
Future Drummer

PHATJ wrote:
Varis wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

yep

Me three.

No surprises there - you are a man of exquisite tastes, Mr J.

PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 10:26 pm 
Production Police

Listening to this again today. Man, this run of songs in the middle of album just makes me so happy:

Light Years
Of The Girl
Thin Air
Nothings As It Seems
Fatal
Sleight of Hand

It might be my favorite sequence in the entire PJ studio catalog, and it's not even an official album!

PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 11:13 pm 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
Listening to this again today. Man, this run of songs in the middle of album just makes me so happy:

Light Years
Of The Girl
Thin Air
Nothings As It Seems
Fatal
Sleight of Hand

It might be my favorite sequence in the entire PJ studio catalog, and it's not even an official album!

Yup - I often listen to that same run (excluding Light Years) myself as a mini EP :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed February 24, 2016 12:18 am 

William Bloke wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Varis wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

yep

Me three.

No surprises there - you are a man of exquisite tastes, Mr J.

8-) A tip of the cap to you, Billy Bloke.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:12 pm 
Lost Cat

Hi Would love to listen to this version has anybody got a link to this.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:56 am 
Lost Cat

I just stumbled upon this mix as well, would love it if someone could share the link. Also PM'd the OP

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:33 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

You need to have post counts of at least 5,000 the receive such treasures.

Get posting :peace:

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:33 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

Or PM theplatypus with a list of your unhealthiest desires.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam