The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Binaural [Deluxe]
PostPosted: Wed July 22, 2015 3:30 am 
Posting (live)

Sweet ride into work with this. Thanks again Brad.

PostPosted: Wed July 22, 2015 4:17 am 
10Club Complaint Department

ridleybradout wrote:
Ledbetterman10 wrote:
Great job as always. The tracklist really flowed nicely the way you dropped those Lost Dogs into the original tracklist. I've been listening to Binaural over the past few years with the original tracklist and the Lost Dogs just tacked on at the end. I'd have gone with Parting Ways as the closer instead of Education though. I was always surprised by the leaked original tracklist that Education was initially going to be the closer. Parting Ways seemed so obviously perfect for the spot. Nice touch throwing "Writers Block" on after Education though. Didn't expect it with the altered tracklist.

Cheers :)

I still consider Parting Ways to be the closer, with Education a kind of coda or 'listed hidden track' a la Immortality / Stupid Mop. Education really has a hidden track vibe to it, perhaps it was planned that way when the original tracklist was put together...

I agree with this and I've always felt that way about Education. I think it's a cool song, I quite enjoy it.

PostPosted: Wed July 22, 2015 12:28 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

I just downloaded this again the other day. Must sit down and give it a spin.

PostPosted: Fri July 31, 2015 1:23 am 
A Return To Form

this is great, thanks

PostPosted: Fri July 31, 2015 1:32 am 
Rank This Poster

Does it make sense to replace the "non-Tchad Blake-mixed" songs on Disc 01 with the "Tchad Blake-mixed" songs from Disc 02?

PostPosted: Fri July 31, 2015 12:13 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I really like the Tchad Blake mix of "Light Years". The song is not one of my favorites, largely because I like the direction the song was heading in with P & G. However, the Blake mix sounds more alive (terrible wording, but I can't think of the right one). It really give me a better appreciation for it.

Of course, now I'm gonna have to go and listen to all the Blake mixes again. I recall really loving Insignificance too (which I also really love as is on Binaural).

Oh, the alt. mix of Education is kinda cool too. Some nice guitar work, in some ways they (Stone / Mike) have a 60's San Fancisco (maybe Jefferson Airplane) thing going on.

PostPosted: Wed October 28, 2015 1:44 am 
Banned from the Pit

How do I get this?
Thanks...

PostPosted: Wed October 28, 2015 11:26 pm 
AnalLog

Oh man would I love to hear this one. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon November 09, 2015 3:15 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Awesome work on this!

After listening to the Sad Tchad Blake mix, I'm left wondering...how on earth does PJ not give this guy another shot? :shake: He brings something different back to the mix, and even if PJ goes for more poppy, accessible tunes, Tchad's influence would still be welcomed.

PostPosted: Mon November 09, 2015 3:17 pm 
Posting (live)

Coach wrote:
Awesome work on this!

After listening to the Sad Tchad Blake mix, I'm left wondering...how on earth does PJ not give this guy another shot? :shake: He brings something different back to the mix, and even if PJ goes for more poppy, accessible tunes, Tchad's influence would still be welcomed.

I was thinking the same whilst listening to NAIS today. The tones of the guitars, the snare, the space. It's got a depth that the last 2 BoB albums don't possess.

PostPosted: Thu November 12, 2015 4:10 am 
Banned from the Pit

Where can I download this!?

PostPosted: Thu November 12, 2015 4:12 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

PM thePlatypus he controls the link.

PostPosted: Thu November 12, 2015 4:20 am 
Banned from the Pit

bada wrote:
PM thePlatypus he controls the link.

Thanks! :D

PostPosted: Thu November 26, 2015 1:46 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I love the Blake mix of Education. So good.

PostPosted: Wed December 30, 2015 10:00 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Listening to this makes me realize that the Binaural sessions may have been the pinnacle for PJ. Not the final tracklsting (of course!) but all the material that came out of it plus the bootleg series plus the limited edition, out of print vinyl which I still can't afford plus the fact that they were coming off the '98 tour and were probably still one of the best bands in the world and they deliberately tried something different that wasn't immediately well received.

PostPosted: Wed December 30, 2015 11:46 pm 
Future Drummer

Sing it loud brotha

However, it has already been established that the peak is is the Asia leg of the '98 tour with Jack

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2015 12:45 am 
Production Police

hlniv wrote:
Sing it loud brotha

However, it has already been established that the peak is is the Asia leg of the '98 tour with Jack

:bammer:

I love Matt's work in the studio, but am completely stymied as to why everyone loves his work on the US '98 tour. All my favorite songs suddenly featured straight-forward rock drumming (though I truly appreciate that he learned the entire catalog in just a few weeks).

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2015 2:09 am 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
hlniv wrote:
Sing it loud brotha

I love Matt's work in the studio, but am completely stymied as to why everyone loves his work on the US '98 tour. All my favorite songs suddenly featured straight-forward rock drumming (though I truly appreciate that he learned the entire catalog in just a few weeks).

I guess it depends on whether you like your PJ loosey-groovy or tight as a fish's arsehole.

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2015 3:13 am 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
hlniv wrote:
Sing it loud brotha

His playing had a lot more variation and experimentation in it at the beginning, which gradually dissolved into straightforward generic-ness as the years went by. But he's no spring chicken anymore. If you didn't like his playing in '98, what do you think of it now?

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2015 3:22 am 
Production Police

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
hlniv wrote:
Sing it loud brotha

His playing had a lot more variation and experimentation in it at the beginning, which gradually dissolved into straightforward generic-ness as the years went by. But he's no spring chicken anymore. If you didn't like his playing in '98, what do you think of it now?

I think it's great now, because they've written songs that compliment it much better. All of Binaural, plus some later tracks like Save You, You Are, LBC, Unemployable, and Army Reserve are all excellent Cameron-era songs that work specifically because of his inclusion...

But I mostly hate everything he does to the older music, with a few exceptions. They were more groove-oriented then, and that's my favorite stuff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 21  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam