The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: Avocado Demos II leak!
PostPosted: Fri October 09, 2015 11:54 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

obviously Stone should sing on "Garden"

PostPosted: Sat October 10, 2015 12:14 am 
Rank This Poster

For the longest time I always heard Ed sing..

We got department stores
and toilet paper
Got Stone Gossard
for the ozone layer

PostPosted: Sun October 11, 2015 5:51 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bayleaf is a song whose impact is vastly influenced by its surroundings....sort of the similar to the way Like a Hurricane sounds almost oppressive on American Stars and Bars, but might sound like an exercise in songwriting on After the Gold Rush, a joke on the audience on Time Fades Away, or like drama without an anchor on Freedom.

Sunburn is as close as Pearl Jam will get to Love in Vain, which is probably why it and Around the Bend are my current two favorite songs by a Keith Richards mile.

PostPosted: Sun October 11, 2015 1:59 pm 
Future Drummer

McParadigm wrote:
Bayleaf is a song whose impact is vastly influenced by its surroundings....sort of the similar to the way Like a Hurricane sounds almost oppressive on American Stars and Bars, but might sound like an exercise in songwriting on After the Gold Rush, a joke on the audience on Time Fades Away, or like drama without an anchor on Freedom.

Sunburn is as close as Pearl Jam will get to Love in Vain, which is probably why it and Around the Bend are my current two favorite songs by a Keith Richards mile.

PostPosted: Sun October 11, 2015 10:17 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

hlniv wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

:shake:

PostPosted: Thu January 07, 2016 4:51 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

I totally missed this the first time around but after a few listens (thanks to Brad's compilation!) I'm very intrigued by the various influences I hear on these songs.

2x4 reminds me of some latter day Sonic Youth
Only Cloud in the Sky has some chord changes that are very Radiohead-esque
Breeze in D has some guitar tones that remind me of The Walkmen.

Those are 3 of my favorite bands. This leaves me with a little hope that Lost Dogs II could be full of some surprising gems.

Of course, my initial gut reaction is to make the "why didn't PJ use any of this material!" wail (like the second coming of Binaural) but I could see how Ed would've had trouble adding lyrics to most of this material. Many of them sound destined to be nothing more than instrumentals. And from listening to "Anything In Between" and maybe even "Of the Earth", it seems like Ed has a hard time adding lyrics when there's not a clear verse-chorus pattern to follow. Although a few of these instrumentals (instead of Gone, Wasted Reprise and Inside Job) would have immediately upgraded S/T.

PostPosted: Thu January 07, 2016 6:04 pm 
Future Drummer

bluestate wrote:
I totally missed this the first time around but after a few listens (thanks to Brad's compilation!) I'm very intrigued by the various influences I hear on these songs.

Those are 3 of my favorite bands. This leaves me with a little hope that Lost Dogs II could be full of some surprising gems.

Of course, my initial gut reaction is to make the "why didn't PJ use any of this material!" wail (like the second coming of Binaural) but I could see how Ed would've had trouble adding lyrics to most of this material. Many of them sound destined to be nothing more than instrumentals. And from listening to "Anything In Between" and maybe even "Of the Earth", it seems like Ed has a hard time adding lyrics when there's not a clear verse-chorus pattern to follow. Although a few of these instrumentals (instead of Gone, Wasted Reprise and Inside Job) would have immediately upgraded S/T.

What's going on here, I could have sworn I read this post like a week ago. Am I living in a alternate reality or something?

PostPosted: Thu January 07, 2016 6:06 pm 
Production Police

hlniv wrote:
bluestate wrote:

What's going on here, I could have sworn I read this post like a week ago. Am I living in a alternate reality or something?

Thanks for saying this, I was also having deja vu.

PostPosted: Thu January 07, 2016 6:08 pm 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
hlniv wrote:
bluestate wrote:

Thanks for saying this, I was also having deja vu.

Ah.... He just reposted the same basic thing from here....
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6709&start=40

PostPosted: Thu January 07, 2016 6:38 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Ha ha... yes it is the same basic thing but I was puzzled by why no one had any reaction to these new songs (11 unreleased tracks and not one single comment?), then I realized that I dropped the ball and was a year late to the party... so I dug up the original thread and posted where it belongs.

PostPosted: Sat January 09, 2016 4:31 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

I cannot stop listening to "Only Cloud in the Sky". So freakin' good! I love the sound of the keys in this one.

PostPosted: Tue January 12, 2016 3:27 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

bluestate wrote:
I cannot stop listening to "Only Cloud in the Sky". So freakin' good! I love the sound of the keys in this one.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:luv:

PostPosted: Tue January 12, 2016 7:11 pm 
The Master

I still need these.

PostPosted: Tue January 12, 2016 7:13 pm 
Broken Tamborine
 WWW  Profile

Ditto

PostPosted: Tue January 12, 2016 8:14 pm 
The Master

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I really like Let it Ride. Going to give disc 2 a spin in a bit.

PostPosted: Thu January 14, 2016 10:34 pm 
Future Drummer

I'm not sure if anyone else has picked up on this but I'm pretty sure 'Rearranged Furniture' (clearly a Matt tune) is the seed demo of Unemployable (co-written by Matt and Mike).

PostPosted: Thu January 14, 2016 10:47 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

ridleybradout wrote:
I'm not sure if anyone else has picked up on this but I'm pretty sure 'Rearranged Furniture' (clearly a Matt tune) is the seed demo of Unemployable (co-written by Matt and Mike).

Can't quite hear that but the "verse" chord progression seems very reminiscent of Johnny Guitar to me.

PostPosted: Thu January 14, 2016 11:01 pm 
Future Drummer

Birds in Hell wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:

Can't quite hear that but the "verse" chord progression seems very reminiscent of Johnny Guitar to me.

Indeed, another Matt tune :thumbsup:

It's mostly the intro and chorus that sound Unemployabley to me.

PostPosted: Fri January 15, 2016 4:25 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

ridleybradout wrote:
It's mostly the intro and chorus that sound Unemployabley to me.

I'll have to go back and check that out again but I've listened to it a dozen times already and I haven't noticed the connection.

EDIT: I dunno. It seems that the only similarity, plus the Johnny Guitar reference, is that you can easily identify it as a Matt song since it has his basic style all throughout. I don't hear any specific riffs or chord progressions that are the same.

PostPosted: Fri January 15, 2016 5:59 pm 
The Master

These new mixes are incredible. Really help me appreciate the guitars (Stone in particular) in some of these songs. The Severed Hand to Big Wave run is much better than I remembered. :thumbsup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 36  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam