The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: PJ 2014 Annual Single
PostPosted: Thu February 05, 2015 6:51 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

bodysnatcher wrote:
they must have decided to make this the b-side while EV was in Hawaii, otherwise there would have been a lot of fixin'

Aw hu-Huh-uhhhh

PostPosted: Thu February 05, 2015 9:11 pm 
Future Drummer

VinylGuy wrote:
Coach wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
I feel like this single is a good metaphor for PJ right now. Overwrought, cheesy, solo cover EV contribution versus Jeff being a fuckin' musician.

Agreed, for a single, I wish Ed would get more creative...maybe something like Arc. He loves his voice. Play around with it with a few machines and such. I dunno - channel some Michael Stipe - thinking about the song Let Me In....

Ed needs to retire the "freshman year guy with an acoustic guitar" thing he's doing lately.

Agree with everything...Imagine is such a lazy lazy choice...

you guys remember that imagine was announced as the a-side back in the summer, right? some of you are acting like this is news. is it a lazy, obvious choice? sure. but we've known about it for 6 months now so i'm not really getting the extreme negative reaction NOW.

PostPosted: Thu February 05, 2015 9:48 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

AndySlash wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Coach wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
I feel like this single is a good metaphor for PJ right now. Overwrought, cheesy, solo cover EV contribution versus Jeff being a fuckin' musician.

Agreed, for a single, I wish Ed would get more creative...maybe something like Arc. He loves his voice. Play around with it with a few machines and such. I dunno - channel some Michael Stipe - thinking about the song Let Me In....

Ed needs to retire the "freshman year guy with an acoustic guitar" thing he's doing lately.

Agree with everything...Imagine is such a lazy lazy choice...

you guys remember that imagine was announced as the a-side back in the summer, right? some of you are acting like this is news. is it a lazy, obvious choice? sure. but we've known about it for 6 months now so i'm not really getting the extreme negative reaction NOW.

It was also released around all that flap about his anti-Israel rant with proceeds from the iTunes sale going to an Israeli-Palestinian music charity (how the fuck did they even find such a thing). Of course, they could have done all that and still recorded a different A-side for the Fan Club Single. You know what ... you're right ... fucking lazy.

PostPosted: Thu February 05, 2015 10:24 pm 
Rank This Poster

anyone else find this whole 'imagine' thing hysterical? it seems like everything i've seen outside of RM praises the performance and message behind why he did it. you read stuff on here and it's like he's covering a nickleback song.

im excited for the B side. pendulum is my favorite song in years. i wouldnt mind having a version w/o words, but w/ vocals from EV.

PostPosted: Thu February 05, 2015 10:26 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

warehouse wrote:
anyone else find this whole 'imagine' thing hysterical? it seems like everything i've seen outside of RM praises the performance and message behind why he did it. you read stuff on here and it's like he's covering a nickleback song.

im excited for the B side. pendulum is my favorite song in years. i wouldnt mind having a version w/o words, but w/ vocals from EV.

I doubt anyone's outraged about the Imagine. If anything, I'd guess they think its just a boring, cliche type of song to cover and release. I would agree with those people.

PostPosted: Thu February 05, 2015 10:31 pm 
Commissioner

warehouse wrote:
anyone else find this whole 'imagine' thing hysterical? it seems like everything i've seen outside of RM praises the performance and message behind why he did it.

Not really. People are fucking stupid. Eddie Vedder as a cultural icon has nothing to do with actual music anymore. Acting like it's a really important, transcendent thing makes 45 year old investment bankers and sportswriters feel really good about themselves.

PostPosted: Thu February 05, 2015 10:38 pm 
Rank This Poster

EJ wrote:
warehouse wrote:

I doubt anyone's outraged about the Imagine. If anything, I'd guess they think its just a boring, cliche type of song to cover and release. I would agree with those people.

i think its b/c he's wrote so many shitty slow, acoustic numbers recently, and we dont wanna hear them anymore, regardless of what song it is. i just found the difference in opinion pretty funny.

PostPosted: Thu February 05, 2015 10:47 pm 
Commissioner

Pearl Jam is like U2 or Bruce Springsteen or any one else of that ilk at this point. Public opinion of what they do is fairly meaningless and more based around what you think having that opinion appears to say about you to others than the actual opinion itself.

Right now Pearl Jam is kind of where U2 was 10-15 years ago. No matter what they do, the general public is going to act like it's really special and important. That doesn't mean that it's not possible for them to do special and important things, but to act like the public is judging them on the merit of their current work as opposed to what they represent as a cultural entity would be very misguided.

PostPosted: Thu February 05, 2015 10:55 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Imagine is the Nickelback of Beatles related music.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu February 05, 2015 11:00 pm 
Rank This Poster

Lament wrote:
Pearl Jam is like U2 or Bruce Springsteen or any one else of that ilk at this point. Public opinion of what they do is fairly meaningless and more based around what you think having that opinion appears to say about you to others than the actual opinion itself.

Right now Pearl Jam is kind of where U2 was 10-15 years ago. No matter what they do, the general public is going to act like it's really special and important. That doesn't mean that it's not possible for them to do special and important things, but to act like the public is judging them on the merit of their current work as opposed to what they represent as a cultural entity would be very misguided.

i get that. the shows at wrigley seemed to have been incredibly well reviewed, except for people here who were actually at the shows. but with the 'imagine' cover, it seems like its overly negative here. maybe its just b/c i like it. his voice sounds great and i think people here overlook when thousands of people are singing the same thing. its not just the sentiment, it sounds cool.

as far as this single though, imagine might as well not be on it. how long is this instrumental pendulum track?

PostPosted: Thu February 05, 2015 11:11 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

BurtReynolds wrote:

Yeah, the song's no good.

PostPosted: Thu February 05, 2015 11:42 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Imagine is a great song.

Ed's cover is really nice.

Haven't heard the b-side yet. But I already fucking hate it.

PostPosted: Thu February 05, 2015 11:44 pm 
Commissioner

durdencommatyler wrote:

The b-side isn't too fond of you either, buddy.

PostPosted: Thu February 05, 2015 11:48 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Lament wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Nor should it be. After those emails we exchanged.

PostPosted: Thu February 05, 2015 11:54 pm 
Commissioner

durdencommatyler wrote:
Lament wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I've seen them. I never thought I'd see you say the sort of things you said. My opinion of you has been forever changed.

PostPosted: Fri February 06, 2015 12:00 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Lament wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Lament wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I've seen them. I never thought I'd see you say the sort of things you said. My opinion of you has been forever changed.

I can't blame you. Telling truths is never easy, but it is sometimes totally necessary. I have no regrets.

PostPosted: Fri February 06, 2015 1:04 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

durdencommatyler wrote:
KurtLeon wrote:
Why wasn't Pendulumorphisis a hidden track?

Because Eddie Vedder /all of RM

They hid it in the Christmas single

PostPosted: Fri February 06, 2015 1:26 am 
AnalLog

Birds in Hell wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

Yeah, the song's no good.

You both are out of your mind.

Overplayed? Overpraised for the wrong reasons? Sure. Other than that, the song's a monument that reaches its intrinsic purpose: a radical leftist manifesto coated in sugar for mass consumption. You guys may not like the message (or comfort your superficial criticism of the song itself in Lennon's contradictions as a person vs. the song's message) but it works and the chords and melody are pretty etheral in the best sense. Stop talking nonsense.

Apart from that, I agree that it's a lazy cover when put out of context. On the other hand, it was a nice thing to play at the time Ed did.

PostPosted: Fri February 06, 2015 1:38 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

No they're right it's pretty boring

PostPosted: Fri February 06, 2015 1:46 am 
The worst

the a perfect circle funeral dirge version of that song is still my favorite

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam