The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lets Actually Listen to the Album: Ten
PostPosted: Wed December 11, 2013 5:47 am 
The Master

stip wrote:
somebody arrange for eddie to have dinner with dylan and we'll be all set.

"all the money you've made will never buy back your soul, wheeeeeeeeeeoooo!"

PostPosted: Wed December 11, 2013 2:29 pm 
The worst

I lets actually listened to this again on my way to work, and while not my favorite, Ten might just be the best rock album of all time. It does almost everything beyond perfect.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed December 11, 2013 5:20 pm 
Poster of the Year

Oh shut up.

PostPosted: Wed December 11, 2013 5:23 pm 
AnalLog

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Oh shut up.

Well it is trying to be every one of the best rock albums released at that point.

PostPosted: Wed December 11, 2013 7:36 pm 
The worst

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Oh shut up.

no one who lets actually listened to that album would tell me to shut up

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed December 11, 2013 8:55 pm 
Commissioner

stip wrote:
Ten might just be the best rock album of all time.

Purely out of curiosity, what other albums do you think also might be?

PostPosted: Wed December 11, 2013 8:57 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

He's gonna say Born to Run and Achtung Baby.

PostPosted: Wed December 11, 2013 9:07 pm 
Commissioner

I was thinking he would say The Joshua Tree instead of Achtung Baby, but I couldn't think of anything else I thought he'd propose besides that.

Actually, he will probably say Vitalogy too.

PostPosted: Wed December 11, 2013 10:21 pm 
The worst

I think Born to Run might be the perfect rock song. I'm actually not all that in love with the album as a whole--with a few exceptions Springsteen is a singles guy for me.

And I do prefer Achtung Baby.

I'm not sure what else i'd say. I like Vitalogy and Automatic for the People more, and there are certainly many spectacular albums out there, but I'm not sure any of them really drill down to the essence of rock music as a cathartic and instinctive recognition/defense/celebration of the self the way Ten does. All those other albums feel calculated in a way that Ten doesn't, including the ones I prefer.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed December 11, 2013 10:38 pm 
Poster of the Year

Why does primal and uncalculated mean best?

PostPosted: Wed December 11, 2013 11:44 pm 
The worst

Because I think that is rock music at its purest

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed December 11, 2013 11:49 pm 
Future Drummer

Apparently this thread has moved on to "comment on stip's opinion of TEN".

As I type this sitting in Denver airport, I vow to Let's Actually Listen to TEN sometime in the next 48 hrs. Could actually be tonight, though, as I am anxious to sample the small sack of goodies I have stuffed into my deodorant, acquired during this trip to the mountain's doorstep.

PostPosted: Thu December 12, 2013 7:22 am 
Future Drummer

That's a real unique album intro, actually. How many other tunes have they recorded that sound anything like this?

Once upon a time. Vocals are a little overdone. These guitars fawkin rawk

Even Flow just feels real slow here. More idiotic vocal effects. Keep the background vocals in the chorus, though. I really kinda like 'em on the original mix. "Fuck it up". Drags at the end. Horrible recording of this song. The Dave A version kills it.

Alive was the song that got me into listening to these dickheads in the first place. Damnit, it hooked me. It still can be completely enveloping if you let it. Stone could easily today write this shit if he wanted to, he nails it here. This solo might be the one of the most perfectly executed and recorded in the history of rock and roll.

Easy to forget how dark Why Go really is. Jeff's groove is perfect with Krusen's rythm. Krusen might actually be the star here..... Wait... no it's Jeff. He's the star. He is such a star. His name should be exploding neon lights everywhere.

The keys are such a critical part of Black. BoB sure as hell mixed right up in his remix, too. He's like "more keyboard, wankers". It's a little distracting here, man. The last half of this song is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard. Still is. The guitar work coming out of the "why can't it be mine" section, all the way through the outro. Classic fade out. Wonder if they ever tried to quiet it down at the end and close it like they do now when they were recording.

Not many third person narratives coming out of Ed these days that are this powerful. Probably won't ever will be. This is what 74% of America thinks of when they hear the name Eddie Vedder.

You could make a case that this song was their first experiment that they recorded, before No Code or Binaural or Elderly Woman blah blah. Much different than the rest of the album. Great transition piece into Porch. They need to figure out a way to connect these songs and open shows with it. Or close with it, either way.

For all this talk about Matt Cameron speeding up songs, they actually play Porch this pretty fast on the record. Love the way Stone sounds in this BoB mix. This is a pretty damn good fuckin Album: TEN

The first 8 tracks are pretty damn good, would be flawless just about except for the Even Flow debacle.

Garden is just a stunted type of song. Never really goes anywhere that matters. It's not unenjoyable. It least there's that fact. Stone gets a couple interesting parts going and then just stops both times.

They should play Deep more now that I hear it in its proper place. They should really start extending out that quiet verse and spacing it out a little, before kicking it back in. This track suffers from some lack of creativity in the overly long outro.

Release automatically grabs you. It doesn't much let go, either. Where it takes me!! Just ride the wave.

The extended album outro is really way out of place, not sure what I feel at the end of that thing. Makes you forget what you just heard a little.

It does make playing the whole album on repeat a little bit of a continous loop cycle. That's cool I guess.

All in all, certainly a classic album, a great one. But probably only my 3rd or 4th top PJ album.

PostPosted: Thu December 12, 2013 7:28 am 
Commissioner

Do you think when Ed sings Once and gets to the part where the protagonist has a sixteen gauge buried under his clothes he almost wishes that (more) bad things will happen to the guy?

PostPosted: Thu December 12, 2013 7:32 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

stip wrote:

"Why does purest mean best"

etc etc etc

PostPosted: Thu December 12, 2013 7:39 am 
10Club Complaint Department

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Why does primal and uncalculated mean best?

stip wrote:

I think there's an argument to be made there but it certainly isn't for Pearl Jam's Ten.

I mean, y'know:

PostPosted: Thu December 12, 2013 7:43 am 
Commissioner

PostPosted: Thu December 12, 2013 10:58 am 
The worst

Lament wrote:
Do you think when Ed sings Once and gets to the part where the protagonist has a sixteen gauge buried under his clothes he almost wishes that (more) bad things will happen to the guy?

if he rewrote once today do you think he'd have a throwing axe buried under his clothes instead?

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu December 12, 2013 11:01 am 
The worst

theplatypus wrote:
stip wrote:

"Why does purest mean best"

etc etc etc

Because if someone is going to use a phrase like best there have to be some criteria that inform it. Purest is one of the ones I'm using--coming closer to what I see as the essence of the thing.

Birds in Hell wrote:
I mean, y'know:

Not as good.

Lament wrote:

Not yet fully developed (I say only knowing chuck berry's hits)

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu December 12, 2013 11:02 am 
The worst

hlniv wrote:
That's a real unique album intro, actually. How many other tunes have they recorded that sound anything like this?

Once upon a time. Vocals are a little overdone. These guitars fawkin rawk

Even Flow just feels real slow here. More idiotic vocal effects. Keep the background vocals in the chorus, though. I really kinda like 'em on the original mix. "Fuck it up". Drags at the end. Horrible recording of this song. The Dave A version kills it.

Alive was the song that got me into listening to these dickheads in the first place. Damnit, it hooked me. It still can be completely enveloping if you let it. Stone could easily today write this shit if he wanted to, he nails it here. This solo might be the one of the most perfectly executed and recorded in the history of rock and roll.

Easy to forget how dark Why Go really is. Jeff's groove is perfect with Krusen's rythm. Krusen might actually be the star here..... Wait... no it's Jeff. He's the star. He is such a star. His name should be exploding neon lights everywhere.

The keys are such a critical part of Black. BoB sure as hell mixed right up in his remix, too. He's like "more keyboard, wankers". It's a little distracting here, man. The last half of this song is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard. Still is. The guitar work coming out of the "why can't it be mine" section, all the way through the outro. Classic fade out. Wonder if they ever tried to quiet it down at the end and close it like they do now when they were recording.

Not many third person narratives coming out of Ed these days that are this powerful. Probably won't ever will be. This is what 74% of America thinks of when they hear the name Eddie Vedder.

You could make a case that this song was their first experiment that they recorded, before No Code or Binaural or Elderly Woman blah blah. Much different than the rest of the album. Great transition piece into Porch. They need to figure out a way to connect these songs and open shows with it. Or close with it, either way.

For all this talk about Matt Cameron speeding up songs, they actually play Porch this pretty fast on the record. Love the way Stone sounds in this BoB mix. This is a pretty damn good fuckin Album: TEN

The first 8 tracks are pretty damn good, would be flawless just about except for the Even Flow debacle.

Garden is just a stunted type of song. Never really goes anywhere that matters. It's not unenjoyable. It least there's that fact. Stone gets a couple interesting parts going and then just stops both times.

They should play Deep more now that I hear it in its proper place. They should really start extending out that quiet verse and spacing it out a little, before kicking it back in. This track suffers from some lack of creativity in the overly long outro.

Release automatically grabs you. It doesn't much let go, either. Where it takes me!! Just ride the wave.

The extended album outro is really way out of place, not sure what I feel at the end of that thing. Makes you forget what you just heard a little.

It does make playing the whole album on repeat a little bit of a continous loop cycle. That's cool I guess.

All in all, certainly a classic album, a great one. But probably only my 3rd or 4th top PJ album.

I go back and forth on which even flow I like better. In some ways I think this version is the best of both worlds.

He/Him/His

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam