The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Rate Lost Dogs
5 Stars: As good as any of the records 24%  24%  [ 10 ]
4 Stars: really strong 51%  51%  [ 21 ]
3 Stars: average 20%  20%  [ 8 ]
2 Stars: Meh 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
1 Star: sucks 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 41
Author Message
 Post subject: Lost Dogs: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 3:34 am 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 7189
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
RM2 Thread: http://archive.theskyiscrape.com/viewto ... =1&t=32370

_________________
malice wrote:
by default, anything b posts is bad even if it's good.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Dogs: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 6:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 16588
Puzzles and games should have been on the official release for this

_________________
"durdencommatyler-dimejinky: the Han Solo of RM."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Dogs: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 6:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 11:15 pm
Posts: 12176
Location: Seattle, WA
I reread some of the song notes to this a few weeks ago, and chuckled when I saw Ed's "close but no sitar" comment about Hold On. Never really made sense until they released the other version with the Vs/Vitalogy reissue.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Dogs: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 9:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 27951
dimejinky99 wrote:
Puzzles and games should have been on the official release for this


puzzles and games should have been on binaural

_________________
cutuphalfdead wrote:
we should probably just kill stip


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Dogs: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 9:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:15 pm
Posts: 5575
I listened to this yesterday. Good album.

Small pet peeve: wish they used the original versions for some of these (lyric changes and updated vocals). Haven't read the notes in years - which ones were updated? Hard To Imagine, Alone, Wash, and Hold On come to mind.

And, was there ever an electric version of Footsteps recorded?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Dogs: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 9:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue December 18, 2012 8:33 pm
Posts: 10513
Stip wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Puzzles and games should have been on the official release for this


puzzles and games should have been on binaural


i wonder though, would light years be as loved as puzzles and games had they been reversed? i really like light years, and think i like puzzles and games as much as i do because it was different and new compared to light years which i listened to so much that i kinda wore out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Dogs: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 9:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 10345
I've never liked Light Years but I think Puzzles & Games is great.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Dogs: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 9:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 27951
Birds in Hell wrote:
I've never liked Light Years but I think Puzzles & Games is great.

_________________
cutuphalfdead wrote:
we should probably just kill stip


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Dogs: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 9:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 27951
well that's not true. I kinda liked it.

_________________
cutuphalfdead wrote:
we should probably just kill stip


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Dogs: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 9:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 9:25 pm
Posts: 957
I always thought both were just alright.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Dogs: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 10:23 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 1:10 am
Posts: 2078
Puzzles and Games is one of the most overrated PJ songs, imo.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Dogs: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Sat January 05, 2013 3:17 am 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 52000
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
EJ wrote:
I listened to this yesterday. Good album.

Small pet peeve: wish they used the original versions for some of these (lyric changes and updated vocals). Haven't read the notes in years - which ones were updated? Hard To Imagine, Alone, Wash, and Hold On come to mind.

And, was there ever an electric version of Footsteps recorded?

Dude, like fucking all of 'em. It's annoying. Lost Dogs would have been so much better if they'd just left it all alone. The vanity on this release is a major turn off.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Dogs: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Sat January 05, 2013 3:19 am 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 52000
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
digster wrote:
Puzzles and Games is one of the most overrated PJ songs, imo.

I think I like it more than Light Years. But I admit a bit of a Don't Gimme No Lip thing, too. I like DGNL more than Mankind, but I can't be confident that I like it more because it's better. I feel like I might like it more because it's different. If DGNL had been on No Code and Mankind on LD, would I think Mankind was better?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Dogs: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Sat January 05, 2013 3:53 am 
Offline
User avatar
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 2:52 am
Posts: 245
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Over the years, I've probably listened to this album more than any other PJ record except Ten....


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Dogs: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Sat January 05, 2013 10:05 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 9:37 am
Posts: 1831
There was no reason for re-doing the vocals on all that old shit. Totally stupid. Whoever came up with that idea deserves a fresh buttfucking.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Dogs: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Sat January 05, 2013 12:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 27951
i really liked that they made all those small changes. I had the originals. Even when the originals are superior (as they often were) this was still a slightly new version of an old song, so it was a nice change of pace, gave insight into the original, etc.

_________________
cutuphalfdead wrote:
we should probably just kill stip


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Dogs: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Sat January 05, 2013 4:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 52000
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Stip wrote:
i really liked that they made all those small changes. I had the originals. Even when the originals are superior (as they often were) this was still a slightly new version of an old song, so it was a nice change of pace, gave insight into the original, etc.

I agree with some of the long established songs. Things like Footsteps or Alone. Those other versions had been officially released and it was nice to have a fresh take.

But what about the stuff we hadn't heard before? How much of that was tinkered with? And why? If Sad, Education, In The Moonlight, Fatal, Hold On, etc were all fucked with (and it seems like they were, if to varying degrees) I want the original, un-fucked-with versions.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Dogs: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Sat January 05, 2013 5:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 27951
durdencommatyler wrote:
Stip wrote:
i really liked that they made all those small changes. I had the originals. Even when the originals are superior (as they often were) this was still a slightly new version of an old song, so it was a nice change of pace, gave insight into the original, etc.

I agree with some of the long established songs. Things like Footsteps or Alone. Those other versions had been officially released and it was nice to have a fresh take.

But what about the stuff we hadn't heard before? How much of that was tinkered with? And why? If Sad, Education, In The Moonlight, Fatal, Hold On, etc were all fucked with (and it seems like they were, if to varying degrees) I want the original, un-fucked-with versions.


yeah, but if you are just hearing the song for the first time then I don't see why them giving you the song as they currently interpret it is a problem. And if you are the kind of person who will be compelled to seek out the original versions they are out there and not hard to find. Do you need them?

_________________
cutuphalfdead wrote:
we should probably just kill stip


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Dogs: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Sat January 05, 2013 5:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 52000
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Stip wrote:
i really liked that they made all those small changes. I had the originals. Even when the originals are superior (as they often were) this was still a slightly new version of an old song, so it was a nice change of pace, gave insight into the original, etc.

I agree with some of the long established songs. Things like Footsteps or Alone. Those other versions had been officially released and it was nice to have a fresh take.

But what about the stuff we hadn't heard before? How much of that was tinkered with? And why? If Sad, Education, In The Moonlight, Fatal, Hold On, etc were all fucked with (and it seems like they were, if to varying degrees) I want the original, un-fucked-with versions.


yeah, but if you are just hearing the song for the first time then I don't see why them giving you the song as they currently interpret it is a problem. And if you are the kind of person who will be compelled to seek out the original versions they are out there and not hard to find. Do you need them?

I know I've heard the original Hold On. Not sure about the others. Don't think I have those.

For me it's the vanity of it. I didn't see it as a reinterpretation, I saw it as a concealer. I want blemishes and all, ya know? Just seemed like the gussied these songs up to cover perceived flaws, to make themselves (or Ed specifically) look/sound better.

More often than not, it didn't work. For me. New vocals. Changed lyrics. Blech. I want great quality versions of the original sounds.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Dogs: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Sat January 05, 2013 5:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 27951
for the songs you haven't heard I think the LD versions are superior, for what it's worth

_________________
cutuphalfdead wrote:
we should probably just kill stip


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], VinylGuy and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed August 23, 2017 7:14 pm