Switch to full style
General Pearl Jam discussion.
Post a reply

The Best Moment in Ten

Fri July 25, 2014 2:28 pm

Okay, I thought it might be nice to have a positive counterpoint to the 'biggest flaw' series. So in this thread you post your favorite moment for each song on each album

Re: The Best Moment in X Is: Ten Edition

Fri July 25, 2014 2:31 pm

Listening to Ten now:

Once: The drums coming out of the solo. Once doesn't really have many stand out moments for me, despite really liking the song
Even Flow: The whole transition from the solo into the final verse where all the instruments gradually kick back in, becoming more and more urgent.
Alive: The final solo. The whole glorious thing.
Why Go: The bassline and the part at the beginning when the guitar washes over it. It just screams over the top badassery.
Black: The 'you know someday' part. I assume that'll be the same for almost everybody
Jeremy: The big woahhhhh part during the extended outro (around the 4 minute mark). It's a live highlight, too.
Oceans: Like Once this is a song without a standout moment. Probably the transitions between the end of the verses and what passes for a chorus with the rolling drums and the rising guitars
Porch: The outro. The whole glorious thing. In particular the drums and mike's chiming lead.
Garden: Nothing really. I find Garden kinda boring. Listening now trying to find something
Deep: The beastly beginning where it sounds like the whole world is crashing down
Release: The 'i'll ride the wave/I'll hold the pain parts of the song where Eddie's voice takes flight (from such a deep place) like nowhere else in the catalog

Fri July 25, 2014 3:11 pm

black - jeff's bassline during the outro, which comes in as eddie is doing his last 'yeeeeaahhaheeeeaha'.

Fri July 25, 2014 3:56 pm

Jeff's bassline in the outro to "Oceans" is my favorite Ten moment. It has a placid mellifluence that I really enjoy. Wish there was an all-instrumental version of that song.

Fri July 25, 2014 4:26 pm

The intro to Even Flow. Fuck the haters.

I hate this thread.

Fri July 25, 2014 4:29 pm

Only three months until Lighting Bolt. Hang in there!

Fri July 25, 2014 4:30 pm

stip wrote:Only three months until Lighting Bolt. Hang in there!

How much placid mellifluence will be on that one?

Fri July 25, 2014 4:49 pm

Fri July 25, 2014 4:50 pm

Damn, six placid mellifluence is a lot.

Fri July 25, 2014 4:51 pm

better use headphones

Fri July 25, 2014 4:54 pm

i think we all know this thread would be better if it were composed entirely of stip posts. let's please make that happen for Vs. onwards. they will exist as perfect little artifacts of the stip account's flaccid mellifluousness.

Fri July 25, 2014 5:26 pm

theplatypus wrote:Jeff's bassline in the outro to "Oceans" is my favorite Ten moment. It has a placid mellifluence that I really enjoy. Wish there was an all-instrumental version of that song.

That's probably it.

Fri July 25, 2014 5:54 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:
theplatypus wrote:Jeff's bassline in the outro to "Oceans" is my favorite Ten moment. It has a placid mellifluence that I really enjoy. Wish there was an all-instrumental version of that song.

That's probably it.

Agreed. Honorable mention goes to the outtro to Black and the intro to Release. All three of those are so pleasant in my ear.

Fri July 25, 2014 6:38 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:

That's probably it.

We'll file this under one of the times you are not disagreeing with Jorge all the time.

Fri July 25, 2014 6:42 pm

bada wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

That's probably it.

We'll file this under one of the times you are not disagreeing with Jorge all the time.

You're right. If he said the intro to Alive I'd have agreed with him too.

Fri July 25, 2014 7:12 pm

leave this thread alone damnit

Fri July 25, 2014 7:14 pm

dammit*

Fri July 25, 2014 7:14 pm

I just assumed this thread was a typo and we were discussing the best moment from a new reissue of Ten called the X Edition.

Fri July 25, 2014 7:15 pm

Going one song at a time:

Once - Pretty underwhelming song overall but my favorite part is the "backseat lover..." section just before the chorus. I like the intense patterns of the vocals/lead over top the wide open rising rhythm/bass progression. It is one of those great crystallized moments of their catalog. The "Indian summer" section doesn't even quite match it.

Fri July 25, 2014 7:20 pm

My favorite moment in X:

Post a reply