49%

Total votes : 128

Re: Finals: Corduroy vs. Insignificance

Wed April 16, 2014 4:40 am

cutuphalfdead wrote:
stip wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Coach wrote:
theplatypus wrote:Let's not kid ourselves. Second account voting has always been around.

Perhaps, and it's stronger than ever this year.

The mods may have a better idea but I find it hard to believe that anyone would bother.

there were nine more votes in the insigificance/immortality match than there were in Tremor Christ/Corduroy. It's a bit odd.

I really don't think it's that odd. The Tremor Christ/Corduroy matchup wasnt nearly as close, so people may have ony voted in the one where it seemed their vote would matter.

If you were going to use a second account to vote, wouldn't you vote in both matches so as to avoid this suspicion?

Agreed. Insignificance and Immortality were neck and neck till the very end. It doesn't seem strange to me that there would be more votes there. The thread itself was probably more engaging because most people considered it a tougher choice.

Wed April 16, 2014 10:00 am

LetMeSleep wrote:Was it ever clearly stated that this is for best song and not personal favourite song? Or whatever criteria each voter brings to the table?

There's no criteria. Whatever you want

Wed April 16, 2014 10:03 am

digster wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
stip wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Coach wrote:
theplatypus wrote:Let's not kid ourselves. Second account voting has always been around.

The mods may have a better idea but I find it hard to believe that anyone would bother.

there were nine more votes in the insigificance/immortality match than there were in Tremor Christ/Corduroy. It's a bit odd.

I really don't think it's that odd. The Tremor Christ/Corduroy matchup wasnt nearly as close, so people may have ony voted in the one where it seemed their vote would matter.

If you were going to use a second account to vote, wouldn't you vote in both matches so as to avoid this suspicion?

Agreed. Insignificance and Immortality were neck and neck till the very end. It doesn't seem strange to me that there would be more votes there. The thread itself was probably more engaging because most people considered it a tougher choice.

You don't see the vote totals until you vote, though (unless you specifically click first, maybe people do that)

Again, a few votes I wouldn't think anything of. But that was close to 10% of the votes and only 2-3 would have made a difference, and there are definitley a few second account looking names who joined the board during the tournament.

Dog rr
Muttuphalfdead
Nobody in this thread
Butbutts
Etc...

There were a lot of matches decided by a vote, so is disappointing (to me, anyway) to know that it could have happened. Insignificance is a great song and I'd believe, round these parts especially, that it could have beaten immortality

Wed April 16, 2014 11:53 am

Without second accounts, The Fixer would've won this damn thing.

Wed April 16, 2014 12:42 pm

Last time I checked, Insignificance had a nice lead... then people started whining about second accounts, and now Corduroy is back in front... WTF?! :shake:

Wed April 16, 2014 12:43 pm

Corduroy is the better song and that is not a knock against Insignificance.

Wed April 16, 2014 3:06 pm

I genuinely prefer Insignificance. I think it's a much better song.

Wed April 16, 2014 3:24 pm

OMFG! Within 1 vote!

Wed April 16, 2014 3:50 pm

Whilst Corduroy is a truly iconic song, if I had to present a Pearl Jam song to someone who had never heard of them before, I would choose Insignificance. The tension, edge and explosiveness in Insignificance is more indicative of their best work, and would more accurately define why I love the band, and why a new person should love the band.

Wed April 16, 2014 3:55 pm

haha

Wed April 16, 2014 4:03 pm

It looks like we'll need a 2nd account to settle this.
I knew they were good for something! 8-)

Wed April 16, 2014 4:06 pm

Release the hounds!

Wed April 16, 2014 4:07 pm

They noodle around in the bridge a bit too much in Insignificance.

Wed April 16, 2014 4:19 pm

End it in a tie and watch this place explode.

Wed April 16, 2014 4:31 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
stip wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Coach wrote:

It has a sense of sour grapes about it too; "I don't agree with the result so there must be something questionable about it."

Unless there's actual evidence of dummy votes, I think the whole conversation is kind of absurd.

For sure.

No sour grapes here. I just raised the issue based on some comments in the thread, which were perhaps serious or not. I can never tell.

Wed April 16, 2014 4:41 pm

my choice, corduroy, and I'm still amazed that people chose insignificance, don't get me wrong, it's a great song, but I wouldn't never expect it to get to the finals...

Wed April 16, 2014 4:47 pm

2nd account!

Wed April 16, 2014 9:50 pm

This is madness.

Wed April 16, 2014 10:24 pm

Corduroy 49% [ 53 ]
Insignificance 51% [ 55 ] x

The plates began to shift...
Perfect lefts come rolling in...