The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: Re: I've given up on pre-1998 bootlegs.
PostPosted: Mon February 11, 2013 4:11 am 
AnalLog

Why is the 2006 boots so fucking good?

PostPosted: Mon February 11, 2013 6:47 am 
Future Drummer

Usually whenever I have some pent-up rage, I do a lot of my workouts to their 93-95 era stuff. Oh my good god, by the time I'm done, both my t-shirt and long sleeve are drenched. Right now I could never let go of that stuff. Maybe when I get out of my 20s.

PostPosted: Mon February 11, 2013 7:44 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Birds in Hell wrote:
Oddball question that I may as well ask here: is everyone else's pre-FM copy of the Melbourne 1998 broadcast (ie: the great sounding one that came to light in the last few years, not the inferior SVT version) excessively treble-y? I've had to re-EQ my copy just to make it listenable, but I've never been 100% sure if I somehow ended up with a dud rip and everyone else's is fine. I doubt it, but I thought I'd check.

bump

PostPosted: Mon February 11, 2013 9:18 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Birds in Hell wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Oddball question that I may as well ask here: is everyone else's pre-FM copy of the Melbourne 1998 broadcast (ie: the great sounding one that came to light in the last few years, not the inferior SVT version) excessively treble-y? I've had to re-EQ my copy just to make it listenable, but I've never been 100% sure if I somehow ended up with a dud rip and everyone else's is fine. I doubt it, but I thought I'd check.

bump

Mine isn't. The old FM version is much more treble-y IMO.

PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2013 12:12 pm 
Future Drummer

WtOB? wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

bump

I found the Sony Promo was slightly more treble-y compared to the Give Way Promo. Have you compared it to JWB's Soundboard Remaster Series version? A definite improvement IMO :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2013 12:28 pm 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

ridleybradout wrote:
WtOB? wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

bump

I found the Sony Promo was slightly more treble-y compared to the Give Way Promo. Have you compared it to JWB's Soundboard Remaster Series version? A definite improvement IMO :thumbsup:

Well in whichever version I used to have, Jack's hi-hats were swishin all over the place with treb.

PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2013 3:57 pm 
The Master

Birds in Hell wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

bump

Hi. can i get your copy?

PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2013 6:12 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

All things being equal, I wish the band would release the next 6 or 7 vault releases to the the general public and make them the most classic of 92-98 shows just to get those needed releases out of the way and cement this band as of one of the all time great live bands. Something like releasing good quality Pinkpop '92, San Fran '93, Atlanta '94, Soldier Field '95 and Red Rocks '95, Randall's Island '96, and MSG '98 one after the other, then go back and listen up on some of the better lesser known shows from the era and release them through the fan club. We can argue over which are the best, but these all seem to be consensus great shows that were definitive for them at the time. I'm not saying my idea is the one right way to do it, but this would make me happy and perhaps jeopardize a mortgage payment or two.

BTW, just putting it out there that I would like a full show on DVD/Blu Ray. The last full show they released in that format happened in 2003 - nearly 10 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2013 6:19 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
Something like releasing good quality Pinkpop '92, San Fran '93, Atlanta '94, Soldier Field '95 and Red Rocks '95, Randall's Island '96, and MSG '98 one after the other, then go back and listen up on some of the better lesser known shows from the era and release them through the fan club.

This is a pretty good idea. A PJ "Classics" series would make a lot of people happy.

PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2013 9:22 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

ridleybradout wrote:
WtOB? wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

bump

Thanks Brad, you're a gem. I wonder why it's like that?

PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2013 10:36 pm 
Future Drummer

Birds in Hell wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:
WtOB? wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

bump

Thanks Brad, you're a gem. I wonder why it's like that?

I find there's often something a bit off in the way Triple J records live music - almost as if it's optimised for FM broadcast (which would make sense). But that doesn't explain why the Sony Promo is inferior to Give Way. Anyhoo, I just had a look though the RM 'Pre 2000 Soundboard' collection from a few years back and there's a 'Sony Promo edit' version with this note:

Quote:
"Live at Melbourne Park" Sony Music Promo Acetates > EAC > WAV > dEDIT > FLAC

NOTE: I put this through SF 9.0 with "Give Way" as my guide. My goal was to make
this promo sound a bit more like the better sounding "Give Way". I think
it turned out alright...

I'm guessing your version is the original unedited Sony Promo? Not sure who made the edit but it really 'untreblises' the high-hats in particular, making the overall recording such much more clean and crisp. JWB's remaster is similarly clear but sounds more 'meaty', like the official vault bootlegs (which was the whole idea of the SRS project) :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed February 13, 2013 1:22 am 
Future Drummer

My memory is that "Give Way" and the Sony Promo sounded practically the same, with just a difference in levels. The overall sound/EQ is pretty sketchy. The SRS version underwent quite a bit of EQ tweaking to get it to sound somewhat normal.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam