The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Side Tracked

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Eddie solo songs
PostPosted: Sun March 09, 2014 2:04 am 
Future Drummer

stip wrote:
EJ wrote:
Strat wrote:
IM currently spinning the Constitution Hall 98 show. Man alive. At times I agree with stip and other times I agree with everyone else. Im somewhere in the middle on it all but listening to this show you understand how amazing the band was live. At this point in their career the fan enthusiasm was something that could not be separated from the show because the performances were so good. Now the fan participation and enthusiasm comes from Ed "being a drunken bafoon and being lazy and toasting wine like a 16 year old". Whereas "in their prime" the fan could literally not help but have a transcendental experience due to how incredible the band were performing their craft.

So true, my friend. :thumbsup:

the ed as a drunken buffoon thing is also, I think, more than a little overstated. Not that it isn't there at times, but it's hardly a controlling thing. And VERY FEW people, I suspect, are there because they are attracted to it.

Shit, if anything I notice far fewer 'Eddie' chants than I used to.

But EdVed does make quite a todo about his wine drinking, especially since '05.

PostPosted: Sun March 09, 2014 3:28 am 
The worst

it's stage banter. Stupid stage banter, granted.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun March 09, 2014 4:35 am 
AnalLog

oasisfan35 wrote:
stip wrote:
EJ wrote:
Strat wrote:
IM currently spinning the Constitution Hall 98 show. Man alive. At times I agree with stip and other times I agree with everyone else. Im somewhere in the middle on it all but listening to this show you understand how amazing the band was live. At this point in their career the fan enthusiasm was something that could not be separated from the show because the performances were so good. Now the fan participation and enthusiasm comes from Ed "being a drunken bafoon and being lazy and toasting wine like a 16 year old". Whereas "in their prime" the fan could literally not help but have a transcendental experience due to how incredible the band were performing their craft.

So true, my friend. :thumbsup:

the ed as a drunken buffoon thing is also, I think, more than a little overstated. Not that it isn't there at times, but it's hardly a controlling thing. And VERY FEW people, I suspect, are there because they are attracted to it.

Shit, if anything I notice far fewer 'Eddie' chants than I used to.

But EdVed does make quite a todo about his wine drinking, especially since '05.

don't forget, that half the time, it's Gatorade in those bottles.

so it's not just playing up the "fun drunk guy" thing, it's also become just plain phonyness and schtick.

PostPosted: Sun March 09, 2014 4:39 am 
Commissioner

Hasn't that always been his schtick? Wasn't that an early Dave A. accusation, that was pretending to be drunk at the VMAs or something to be more Morrison-esque?

PostPosted: Sun March 09, 2014 4:45 am 
Future Drummer

stip wrote:
But this experience is not like being at a party. To be honest, when done right (and they do it well) it is something much more akin to a revival. There is something a lot more profound, almost quasi-religious happening. The sublimation of the self into something larger, through the shared participatory experience of music. There are rock concert cliches in there as well (the drinking is stupid, but lets be honest, every time someone on this board uses pot slang to talk about how cool it is to smoke a joint they're doing the exact same thing), but no one is leaving a pearl jam concert thinking that this was awesome because Eddie toasted them with his bottle of wine.
And that shared experience does matter. Not only in terms of the crowd, but because of the relationship it creates with the band. Kevin Davis is a talented musician. Maybe he just wants to show up and watch a master craftsmen ply his trade. But I have no musical talent of my own, and so being invited into the process means something to me.

It's hard to have a quasi-religious experience when 75% of the audience is wearing a baseball jersey, swigging beer and swapping blowjob stories to the indiscernible, cavernous backdrop of Pearl Jam's pussy sound system.

PostPosted: Sun March 09, 2014 4:47 am 
AnalLog

Lament wrote:
Hasn't that always been his schtick? Wasn't that an early Dave A. accusation, that was pretending to be drunk at the VMAs or something to be more Morrison-esque?

has it? maybe.. but he wasn't always having a flunky fill empty wine bottles with fruit punch gatorade. I mean come on, really ed?

PostPosted: Sun March 09, 2014 4:48 am 
Commissioner

PostPosted: Sun March 09, 2014 4:50 am 
Commissioner

dprival78 wrote:
Lament wrote:

has it? maybe.. but he wasn't always having a flunky fill empty wine bottles with fruit punch gatorade. I mean come on, really ed?

I could've sworn there was a story like that...maybe in Five Against One? He was pretending to chug vodka and acting like a crazy drunk, and then when no one was looking he dropped the act to bitch out Dave A. about something, and Dave was stunned that he was suddenly sober so he checked the vodka bottle and it was just water.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering though.

PostPosted: Sun March 09, 2014 4:57 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i want to break something and ride an ostrich naked playing the harp

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sun March 09, 2014 4:58 am 
Future Drummer

Has anybody ever had the username "Dave's Not Here"?

PostPosted: Sun March 09, 2014 4:59 am 
AnalLog

Lament wrote:
dprival78 wrote:
Lament wrote:

I could've sworn there was a story like that...maybe in Five Against One? He was pretending to chug vodka and acting like a crazy drunk, and then when no one was looking he dropped the act to bitch out Dave A. about something, and Dave was stunned that he was suddenly sober so he checked the vodka bottle and it was just water.

hmm.. and here I thought that Eddie only started turning lame in the last 6-7 years.

PostPosted: Sun March 09, 2014 4:59 am 
Commissioner

96583UP wrote:

Supposedly that's exactly what Ed did right after the above picture was taken and he was called out on a very close play at first.

PostPosted: Sun March 09, 2014 5:23 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Lament wrote:
96583UP wrote:

Supposedly that's exactly what Ed did right after the above picture was taken and he was called out on a very close play at first.

Then BOB rushed to his aid like Rocky's trainer, spraying water into his mouth and rubbing his head; only instead of water it was dom perignon and instead of a towel it was thousand-dollar bills

then a johnny ramone themed golf cart swooped in and ferried Ed back to his gated hotel room community for some more productive sessions of playing the ukelele alone

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Mon March 10, 2014 12:48 am 
Future Drummer

The Post-Riot Act increase in the listener-participatory live act is simply the Moneygrab at its finest.

It's all related to this fundamental.

When the live act was theater for the listener to take in, it bred the musicianship and the intensity.

When the live act is a forum for a pearl jam festival-revival, it will only be directed by what the band thinks the audience wants to hear, or in other words, what the audience will continue to fund.

Post subject: Eddie Vedder solo
PostPosted: Tue October 30, 2018 6:34 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I thought Eddie could get his own thread for his solo work.

Just saw the news from Pearl Jam:

«Eddie To Headline Innings Festival

We're excited to announce that Eddie will headline Innings Festival!
The 2-day music festival will take place at Tempe Beach Park & Arts Park in Tempe, Arizona on March 2nd and 3rd.

Eddie will headline on Sunday, March 3rd
The line-up will also include performances by Jimmy Eat World, Band of Horses, Liz Phair, Mat Kearney, and more.»

PostPosted: Tue October 30, 2018 6:56 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

BUMP

PostPosted: Tue October 30, 2018 7:43 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

predicted new songs:

Seventh Stretch
The Mound
Walk Off
Diamonds Are a Man's Best Friend
Harry Carried
Four Walls, or IV Walls, or Ivy Walls
The Wave

Last edited by bodysnatcher on Tue October 30, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue October 30, 2018 7:46 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Wouldn’t mind a new album that could match Into The Wild.

PostPosted: Wed October 31, 2018 8:21 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

dprival78 wrote:
Lament wrote:
dprival78 wrote:
Lament wrote:

hmm.. and here I thought that Eddie only started turning lame in the last 6-7 years.

it is common knowledge that ed was at his worst (personality-wise) from 93-94.

PostPosted: Wed October 31, 2018 8:38 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Strat wrote:

This post is a modern classic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Side Tracked