The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1050 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Lets Actually Listen to the Album: Lightning Bolt
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 34745
Sleeping By Myself is a fucking delight. Just about everything about it is a delight. That we got this does undo some of the harm BoB caused elsewhere.

_________________
The Sky I Scrape Gigaton Review


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lets Actually Listen to the Album: Lightning Bolt
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 34745
i just posted a bunch about yellow moon in the ultimate album thread. nothing changed over the last 4 days. I will add that this, in many ways, feels like pearl jam’s most precise song - like could you clearly and cleanly identify every note everyone plays - which adds to the fact that this song feels like a painting

As good as the bridge is, it would have been nice to see more range between it and the rest of the song. that tension is absent among most of the backspacer and l-bolt songs, and it is one of the really important elements evans managed to recapture

_________________
The Sky I Scrape Gigaton Review


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lets Actually Listen to the Album: Lightning Bolt
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 34745
I am always happy to hear future days. It’s so nice to have a pearl jam song just linger in a happy, gentle space. The strings and general coloring throughout the song are actually quite good.

its just that piano intro/outro

But still, this does more for me than another all or none/thumbing my way/the end.

_________________
The Sky I Scrape Gigaton Review


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lets Actually Listen to the Album: Lightning Bolt
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 34745
I am always pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoy actually listening to Lightning Bolt. I think I can comfortably place it in my 6th spot. not an all timer, but a thoughtful pearl jam album that grapples with themes of aging and legacy pretty gracefully, marred by arguably the worst production on a pj album. ST comes close, but there are places ST works super well, which cant be said anywhere here

_________________
The Sky I Scrape Gigaton Review


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lets Actually Listen to the Album: Lightning Bolt
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:10 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 2683
stip wrote:
LTRP is a fun minor song. I quite like the swampy, roadhouse bluesy pop vibe of the whole song. Of the recent songs that really leaned into a pop aesthetic for the chorus (infallible and unemployable come to mind) it works best here, even if I prefer infallible overall.

nice to let mike cut loose at the end here since they take it away everywhere else

ha - i totally forgot that this faded out too. god damn it

I thought I was alone in the room. This is the unheralded gem of a little song. There’s an intertwined mix of 60s pop and guitar that feels like it’s kneading dough or something powering against each other but somehow it works. Granted, Credence Clearwater Revival did this a bit better by infusing southern soul into the mix, but I have always really liked the effort here.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lets Actually Listen to the Album: Lightning Bolt
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:27 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 2683
stip wrote:
I am always happy to hear future days. It’s so nice to have a pearl jam song just linger in a happy, gentle space. The strings and general coloring throughout the song are actually quite good.

its just that piano intro/outro

But still, this does more for me than another all or none/thumbing my way/the end.


Future Days is one of the rare songs in the Pearl Jam catalogue I actively hate. Maybe they were going for a Thumbing My Way vibe but for me it sounds like Bon Jovi actively trying to create couples’ wedding song.

I do love Yellow Moon and think it would have been A+ if only they held it for Josh Evans and Gigaton, so great observation there.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lets Actually Listen to the Album: Lightning Bolt
PostPosted: Mon August 31, 2020 11:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Mon February 04, 2013 3:03 pm
Posts: 388
Today I served as the office Dj and I was happy putting my favorite music right? Some post punk, some alternative, a little Neil, some indie, etc. Then for some reason I started playing PJ: some Corduroy, WWS, DTE, and then I venture into some of their pop side: The Fixer, You Are, Comeback and then....fuckin Infallible, a tune that I truly like, but for some reason, in the context of the other songs, it just depressed me how bad it sounds. LB is really the only album that bring that kind of feeling to me. I really can believe that this is the same producer of some of the best sounding albums of the 90s, and here, giving such a poor job at producing an album, that (to me) have the songs, but not the sound. Really sad.

I think Ive already made this question, Idk, but is there a way to remastered this album ala Avocado?

_________________
Do I eat them? Raw or well done?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lets Actually Listen to the Album: Lightning Bolt
PostPosted: Tue September 01, 2020 8:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 30, 2020 11:59 pm
Posts: 326
Location: sleep sac in a bivouac
Hypnosomnia wrote:
Today I served as the office Dj and I was happy putting my favorite music right? Some post punk, some alternative, a little Neil, some indie, etc. Then for some reason I started playing PJ: some Corduroy, WWS, DTE, and then I venture into some of their pop side: The Fixer, You Are, Comeback and then....fuckin Infallible, a tune that I truly like, but for some reason, in the context of the other songs, it just depressed me how bad it sounds. LB is really the only album that bring that kind of feeling to me. I really can believe that this is the same producer of some of the best sounding albums of the 90s, and here, giving such a poor job at producing an album, that (to me) have the songs, but not the sound. Really sad.

I think Ive already made this question, Idk, but is there a way to remastered this album ala Avocado?


It needs more than remastering.

_________________
Hear the sound...In the distance, now...Could be thunder...Or a crowd


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lets Actually Listen to the Album: Lightning Bolt
PostPosted: Tue September 01, 2020 10:33 pm 
Offline
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 7204
RockPusher wrote:
Hypnosomnia wrote:
Today I served as the office Dj and I was happy putting my favorite music right? Some post punk, some alternative, a little Neil, some indie, etc. Then for some reason I started playing PJ: some Corduroy, WWS, DTE, and then I venture into some of their pop side: The Fixer, You Are, Comeback and then....fuckin Infallible, a tune that I truly like, but for some reason, in the context of the other songs, it just depressed me how bad it sounds. LB is really the only album that bring that kind of feeling to me. I really can believe that this is the same producer of some of the best sounding albums of the 90s, and here, giving such a poor job at producing an album, that (to me) have the songs, but not the sound. Really sad.

I think Ive already made this question, Idk, but is there a way to remastered this album ala Avocado?


It needs more than remastering.


Looking forward to "Lightning Bolt: Rewritten!"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lets Actually Listen to the Album: Lightning Bolt
PostPosted: Wed September 02, 2020 12:24 am 
Offline
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 1:57 am
Posts: 221
Location: NEPA
Kevin Davis wrote:
Looking forward to "Lightning Bolt: Rewritten!"


Rid, WTC...Please?


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1050 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Thu October 01, 2020 8:44 am