Switch to full style
General Pearl Jam discussion.
Post a reply

Boom Birthday

Mon February 03, 2014 5:56 pm

Happy Birthday to Boom! I have been to Hawaii 3 times Maui, Kauai. Best place in the world. Bless you Boom.

Re: Boom Birthday

Mon February 03, 2014 5:58 pm

i know im in the minority, but im really glad he's in the band. no, i dont wanna hear him solo on 'red mosquito', but i dig most of what he does.

Mon February 03, 2014 6:13 pm

i'm secretly hoping boom plays a yoko ono role, convincing eddie he doesn't the band and making him quit, just so we don't get any more riot acts, avocado albums, backspacers, or lightning bolts

Mon February 03, 2014 6:56 pm

Happy birthday, Boomer. You truly are the Clarence Clemons to Eddie's John Cougar Mellencamp.

Mon February 03, 2014 7:05 pm

I was saying "boooooo"

Mon February 03, 2014 7:44 pm

warehouse wrote:i know im in the minority, but im really glad he's in the band. no, i dont wanna hear him solo on 'red mosquito', but i dig most of what he does.

what's he do?? :?

Mon February 03, 2014 8:18 pm

malice wrote:
warehouse wrote:i know im in the minority, but im really glad he's in the band. no, i dont wanna hear him solo on 'red mosquito', but i dig most of what he does.

he plays the organ/piano/keyboard. he stands out most w/ covers i think, like 'love reign over me' or 'chloe dancer', but he's also has a larger role in some of pearl jams newer songs, like lbc, infallible, pendulum. he also colors older songs like 'betterman' nicely w/ his keys.

Mon February 03, 2014 9:03 pm

Ed noticed him as a "world class" organ player. Because he is.

Mon February 03, 2014 9:21 pm

LuNY wrote:Ed noticed him as a "world class" organ player. Because he is.

this is great for the organs of pearl jam

Mon February 03, 2014 9:25 pm

Alex wrote:

this is great for the organs of pearl jam

He can put his sausage fingers on my organ any time.

Mon February 03, 2014 9:32 pm

warehouse wrote:
malice wrote:

he plays the organ/piano/keyboard. he stands out most w/ covers i think, like 'love reign over me' or 'chloe dancer', but he's also has a larger role in some of pearl jams newer songs, like lbc, infallible, pendulum. he also colors older songs like 'betterman' nicely w/ his keys.

I guess I just don't like much to do with keyboards when mixed with Pearl Jam... I thought when he first started playing with them it was pretty extraneous to the music.
I don't dislike the guy, I'm fairly neutral about his musicianship. he's always struck me as someone the band met, liked, and said - hay, we can cram him into our musical repertoire without it having a huge influence in any event and just hang out with us.
(I'm not a big fan of lbc, but that's me, not really because of the keyboards, it's just not a stand out song to me) otherwise, whatever? I mean if they like him, and most fans like him, good for him... I still come off with the impression he's just hanging out with them, not really like- oh, he's part of the band.

Tue February 04, 2014 11:13 am

malice wrote:I still come off with the impression he's just hanging out with them, not really like- oh, he's part of the band.

Me too, actually

Tue February 04, 2014 2:27 pm

It always felt like that was part of the original deal and Boom is completely fine with it.

Like Eddie was hanging with him in 2001 and -

Eddie - "hey man, let's put this song we wrote on the next record, and maybe you can tour with us playing the organ. Bring your good weed, too, man. But, don't get too cozy, we're net letting you join the band or anything, you are just a side player on tour, not a full band member.Deal?"

Boom -"Sounds cool bro. I love my B3. Can I hang out with you guys and stuff while we're touring?"

Eddie - "Sure man. But, remember, bring that good weed, OK"

Boom - "Awesome dude. Can't wait"

Eddie - "Don't forget the weed"

Tue February 04, 2014 2:42 pm

Other than the warning part, which I'm sure Ed would let his army of lawyers handle when he was out (so as not to get too confrontational, bro), that was pretty funny/accurate.

Tue February 04, 2014 5:02 pm

I guess, if you classify "world class" as maybe the worst keyboard player to ever be part of an arena level band.

He's alright when he's aping keys that are present in the studio versions, but any sort of improvisation or creativity he tries to show tends to be tacky.

Tue February 04, 2014 6:51 pm

Oh, Jimmy wrote:

I guess, if you classify "world class" as maybe the worst keyboard player to ever be part of an arena level band.

He's alright when he's aping keys that are present in the studio versions, but any sort of improvisation or creativity he tries to show tends to be tacky.

Oh right I see you know better than Eddie Vedder, ok right cool…….Do you play an instrument? I do!

World class is actually the way Ed described Boom.

Tue February 04, 2014 6:55 pm

This is good for the people of San Tipico

Tue February 04, 2014 7:00 pm

stip wrote:
malice wrote:I still come off with the impression he's just hanging out with them, not really like- oh, he's part of the band.

Me too, actually

worlds collide! :D

Tue February 04, 2014 7:00 pm

Knowing better than Eddie Vedder should be the minimum requirement for doing most things.

Tue February 04, 2014 8:17 pm

BurtReynolds wrote:Knowing better than Eddie Vedder should be the minimum requirement for doing most things.

Post a reply